Home

NFL Antitrust: What it Means for the Sports Video Game Industry

This is a discussion on NFL Antitrust: What it Means for the Sports Video Game Industry within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #73
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: NFL Antitrust: What it Means for the Sports Video Game Industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrville
No Someone asked the Madden devs if they could edit the uniforms but keep the logo, and EA said no cause if a vid popped out somewhere on youtube where the cowboys were pink EA would be in alot of trouble.

So if EA who has the license would get in trouble, wouldnt a company that doesnt have the license expect the same?
No no... You're mistaken, this would have to be a game with NO names, and no logos what so ever... Ther would be no infringment what so ever... You're talking about editing official teams... Not subject matter
Old 04-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #74
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingking77
No no... You're mistaken, this would have to be a game with NO names, and no logos what so ever... Ther would be no infringment what so ever... You're talking about editing official teams... Not subject matter
Exactly. think Madden 64, but also with no NFLPA. Madden 64 had team San Francisco, and Team Dallas, etc. But in that game there was S. Young the QB and J. Rice the WR.

I am all for competition. I bought 2k5 on a whim before when i went in to get Madden 05. I'll give you 3 guesses which one I liked more.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #75
Rookie

OVR: 8
With back breaker getting in the mix, well see the best 2k and madden games once they are free to use nfl players
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #76
Rookie

OVR: 1
I agree with most of you guys completely ANY football game without the 32 teams is not a football game at all... plus if yo guys think about they have to have all the teams because US the consumers control how much money those companies make.... They wont make any money if nobody will but their gameso i wouldnt woory too much about them not having all the teams, but if anything were to happen i hope they get rid of that stupid contract, NFL 2K5 fn all the way BABY!!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #77
Rookie

OVR: 0
I read a few comments and it seems people dont understand the nature of competition.

If in the NFL, only the same 4 or 5 teams are good each and every year and each and every year those teams win the SB, then no one would watch. By putting in salary caps, etc. the league makes the field more balanced and you get a better product. Just think, the salary cap is why the NFL is more popular then MLB, more good teams across the board, fewer "Yankee" type teams.

Well in business the same is true. Could you imagine if the only place you could buy a burger was at McDonalds, or the only place you could get a taco was T-Bell? That would suck. Those corporations would get lazy and wouldnt try to improve or get better due to the lack of competition.

The same goes for Madden. With 2K out of the picture there is no reason for them to improve the game or make it better in any way. EA doesnt have to look over there shoulders and wondre if someone else is making a better game. Personally, I was disapointed in this years games lack of refinement and its many, many glitches. Collinsworth is absolutely horrible. I think the game took a step back, which hurts us, the consumer.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:57 PM   #78
Rookie

OVR: 6

I had forgotten about this thread, but to add a bit to this... I had said that 2K should have just made a generic football game, blah blah blah... Some people said it couldn't be done... Enter Ian's Super Secret Project... There is nothing that anyone can do about fans making teams and posting them online and this new project/idea for team EA prooves it... At this point, good for them, at least this idea should at the very least SHOW people that editing blank teams/players is allowed... Now if only Take 2 were aware of this...
Old 04-28-2009, 11:55 PM   #79
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Professional sports are unlike any other intellectual property in the sense that they are already a virtual monopoly. It's one thing to let the sports monopolies live, but they shouldn't be allowed to create other monopolies in the process.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »