Home

How does play recognition rating work?

This is a discussion on How does play recognition rating work? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 12
How does play recognition rating work?

I was just thinking about how important it is for a defender to read the play action pass. So, I am curious if whether or not a defender bits on a play action pass is determined by this raring or not?

If it isn't then I really think it either should be or there should be a rating for this by itself. Obviously, the you EA guys think it is an important skill for a QB then you must agree that it is atleast equally important for a defender.

Beyond that how exactly does this rating work? How does it work with Awareness?

Hope one you EA respond to this. Could be an idea for a possible future blog.

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: How does play recognition rating work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stux
I was just thinking about how important it is for a defender to read the play action pass. So, I am curious if whether or not a defender bits on a play action pass is determined by this raring or not?
Yes.

Quote:
If it isn't then I really think it either should be or there should be a rating for this by itself. Obviously, the you EA guys think it is an important skill for a QB then you must agree that it is atleast equally important for a defender.

Beyond that how exactly does this rating work? How does it work with Awareness?
It replaces Awareness when applicable. Basically, it is awareness in certain circumstances.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 26

So I guess play recognition deals with play-action and pump faking whereas awareness focuses on knowing what man to cover in your zone etc.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:18 AM   #4
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
So I guess play recognition deals with play-action and pump faking whereas awareness focuses on knowing what man to cover in your zone etc.
No, that would be Zone Coverage.

Awareness is in the process of being phased out, apparently. I think it's gone defensively.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:38 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
No, that would be Zone Coverage.

Awareness is in the process of being phased out, apparently. I think it's gone defensively.
In 09 it supposedly at times covered how aggressive DBs were going for the ball. It has a pretty big impact on overall, more than it really should considering how little it controls.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2009, 04:20 AM   #6
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
In 09 it supposedly at times covered how aggressive DBs were going for the ball. It has a pretty big impact on overall, more than it really should considering how little it controls.
I wondered about that myself... it seems there are a lot of ratings going in that are relatively minor. Ian explained this well though.

On LastGen, beating press coverage was a combination of several ratings like strength, agility, and awareness. This gen it's got it's own rating. Seems unnecessary to include a rating for such a specific occurrence to some, but when it's a combination of ratings, it tends to get watered down... everyone sorta drifts toward the middle, and you end up with much less individuality with the players. The more very specific ratings there are, the more the uniqueness of each player starts to come out.

This really starts to come out with the new ratings philosophy. If there's any one thing that got 100% positive feed back at that event, it was the new ratings. I, actually, wish they'd spread 'em out a bit more. I still think there are too many "elite" players.

-Mark Twain.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

The new ratings should be interesting to see

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »