Home

Will Home Field be an advantage like it should be for some teams?

This is a discussion on Will Home Field be an advantage like it should be for some teams? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #65
MVP

OVR: 55
Re: Will Home Field be an advantage like it should be for some teams?

I think home teams should begin the game with a slight momentum boost. I also think it should be easier for home teams to build large levels of momentum easier than away teams.

Away teams should really have to work to earn momentum, especially against teams of equal or better talent.

This effect should be downscaled in comparison to college football, but the effect should still be present. Win % for teams at home vs. away overall should be an indicator of what we should see in football games. Even professionals feel the heat of playing in a hostile environment opposing them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #66
MVP

drae2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthreemafia
Completely disagree.

Both of those are way over the top.

Neither of those are anything like an actual NFL game.
I assume you never went to a game at RFK Stadium in Washington, DC. The stadium was so loud it would literally rock/shake.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #67
MVP

drae2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLHITMAN
Isn't this the Nike commercial you wanted to post????

Damn, I gotta go fire up some APF, lol!!! I really do like the atmosphere of APF and NCAA because it makes you feel like you're really in the game. But I remember all the way back on the PS1, the crowd noise on Madden was very, very good. Especially those loud D-FENCE, blomp, blomp D-FENCE chants. Maybe Ian and the boys can go back to the past to help with the future with this.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #68
MVP

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by drae2
Damn, I gotta go fire up some APF, lol!!! I really do like the atmosphere of APF and NCAA because it makes you feel like you're really in the game. But I remember all the way back on the PS1, the crowd noise on Madden was very, very good. Especially those loud D-FENCE, blomp, blomp D-FENCE chants. Maybe Ian and the boys can go back to the past to help with the future with this.
I remember a guy posting that he had a Bears team made up with Walter Payton and Samurai Mike and because of the success he had with Payton in his home stadium the crowd in APF started chanting his name! That right there in it self is AWESOME!

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #69
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
Good thread, Hitman. Since APF is done, we've got to focus on bringing suggestions from our favorite game to the Madden discussion in hopes that it they will help make Madden the best that it can be since it's what we have.

The idea of homefield advantage is hugely important if the team is going to realize the vision it has of creating the most faithful rendition possible of an NFL Sunday.

In the spirit of making this idea usable, what kinds of things should homefield advantage do for teams? How would it translate in programming and gameplay terms?

False starts are the obvious place to start, but there are others:
--difficulty with successful audibling, as it's often tough to communicate over the noice (I know there are hand signals, but the noise still makes changes difficult)
--a slight boost to the defensive line/blitzers' acceleration or a slight decrease to the OL's reaction time to simulate the delay effect that happens to visiting lines when trying to get off the ball in a noisy environment
--perhaps a slight boost for the home team to a rating like consistency or whatever the Madden translation is, something to mimic the general way that players for great home crowds often play better there

IDK what else there could be, but in APF you can definitely tell your players (for the most part) play better at home, and wins on the road vs. good teams are very tough to get. That's just how it is irl, and Madden should try to replicate that.

Other thoughts?
I think the Home Crowd would give you a huge adrenaline high and you would be faster and hit harder when this happens.

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #70
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I think home teams should begin the game with a slight momentum boost. I also think it should be easier for home teams to build large levels of momentum easier than away teams.

Away teams should really have to work to earn momentum, especially against teams of equal or better talent.

This effect should be downscaled in comparison to college football, but the effect should still be present. Win % for teams at home vs. away overall should be an indicator of what we should see in football games. Even professionals feel the heat of playing in a hostile environment opposing them.
This why the best coached teams in the NFL get what this is about. The best coaches tell there team 1st and foremost we MUST take the crowd out of the game if we want to win.

Besides last year and all the injuries on the Seahawks I was counting every home game for Seahawks as a Win.

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #71
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

This says it all my friends.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2009, 10:59 PM   #72
MVP

Now lets get some stuff in the game that will never leave when a player retires!

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »