Home

Bit on quarterback accuracy

This is a discussion on Bit on quarterback accuracy within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: Bit on quarterback accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Brees owns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I'm with niners all the way on this one. Brees is special.
The guy has at times put up numbers similar to Dan Marino. If he plays long at his current level, he has a decent chance of being in the Hall of Fame.

He just has to maintain this very high level of play and get some more playoff wins and a Super Bowl.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2009, 11:47 PM   #42
Pro

OVR: 9

Drew is an absolute MEAST (Man/Beast) when it comes to passing the football!! Next to Jay Cutler he is my favorite QB in the NFL!!
Old 04-14-2009, 11:53 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogle
Thank you 94niners, finally someone who sees that Brady is not THAT good, i mean he's a solid QB but not best in the world
Depends who you think is better. If your saying he is the greatest of all time then I agree he is overrated. He is a better player than Brees though.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:57 PM   #44
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
Depends who you think is better. If your saying he is the greatest of all time then I agree he is overrated. He is a better player than Brees though.
Did someone say Peyton Manning?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:00 AM   #45
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Did someone say Peyton Manning?
No. Starr, Montana, and Elway were superior. Not sure how Brady can be solid when he is one of the most clutch athletes of the past 25 years. I put very little value on statistics so maybe that is why Brees doesn't amaze me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2009, 12:14 AM   #46
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

That was an awesome video. It's amazing how accurate some of these NFL QB's are. But damn, I never knew Drew Brees was THAT accurate. But hey, it's "easy" to throw 10 perfectly accurate balls when you're in shorts and with no pass rush. Impressive nonetheless.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:12 AM   #47
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
No. Starr, Montana, and Elway were superior. Not sure how Brady can be solid when he is one of the most clutch athletes of the past 25 years. I put very little value on statistics so maybe that is why Brees doesn't amaze me.
Well, you ought to, since statistics are the most tangible way to quantify what a player accomplishes.

Take passer rating, for example. Who are the top 5 QBs in this stat?

Steve Young
Peyton Manning
Kurt Warner
Tom Brady
Joe Montana

So far that is 5 Hall of Famers (well, Warner, Brady and Manning will all eventually be there).

If you divide the list into groups, you get something close to this:

Top 20- Probably 9 Hall of Famers, assuming Big Ben never gets there.

Between 20 and 40- 6 Hall of Famers

Between 40 and 60- 5

Between 60 and 80-3

Between 80 and 100-1

How bout reception yards?

Top 5- at least 4 (Jerry Rice, Isaac Bruce, Tim Brown, and Marvin Harrison) will be in the Hall, maybe 5 if Terrel Owens gets in (remember, he is second all time in reception TDs- but of course his attitude will likely keep him out- but physically, he should be in)

The next five are James Lofton (HoF), Cris Carter (no question one of the best), Henry Ellard, Andre Reed (one of the best AFC WRs in his era), Steve Largent (HoF)

Next five: Randy Moss (he's going to the HoF...), Irving Fyrar, Art Monk (HoF), Torry Holt (he might squeeze into the Hall), Jimmy Smith (maybe not Hall worthy, but he dominated).

Next 5: Charlie Joyner (HoF), Michael Irvin (HoF), Don Maynard (HoF), Rod Smith, Kennan McCardel (2 Pro Bowls)...

etc

You get the point. Stats may not be the end all be all, but it is a little absurd to think that great stats don't generally correlate with great players.

Look at Sammy Baugh and his QB ratings were terrible. But you compare them to the people he played against and he was a GOD. The game changed, but the players with the best stats are and have always been the best players, more often than not. As Bill Parcels put it, "You are what you are."

Last edited by 94niners; 04-15-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:13 AM   #48
Rookie

Megatron2k7's Arena

OVR: 12

Awesome vid...!

Brees was very impressive, that level of consistancy is almost unheard of, but some of you are going a little over board on thinking his accuracy should suddenly be rated at 99.

What he was doing was putting on a display of excellent muscle memory right in front of our eyes. It's similar to a basketball player making many Free Throws in a row. It doesn't necessarily mean the Basketball player would be a great jump shooter, or 3 point champ, or even make a lay up for that matter.

If Brees could display this kind of accuracy on a moving target, and on throws of different velocity, then yes, he would probably be considered the most accurate QB ever.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still impressed with his super polished throwing mechanics, and going 10 for 10 in that drill is really amazing stuff. I just wanted to point out that what you saw was more muscle memory than pure accuracy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »