Home

Please rethink potential ratings!

This is a discussion on Please rethink potential ratings! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Please rethink potential ratings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito78
Yeah, but no one(including the coaches) knew how good Brady was until he started playing.

If the Falcon Knew Farve's potential, they wouldn't have traded him.
That's why you should have perceived potential by your scouts and coaching staff. There perception is what should be revealed to you, not the actual.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #26
Rookie

red butler's Arena

OVR: 3

I think you should be able to tell if a player has potential based on his performance at the combine. It's the intangibles that are hard to measure. If they kept the intangible ratings vague or hidden it could look like this:
-If a skill player has 90+ speed, 90+ agility, and good size he has potential.
-If a QB has 90+ THP, 90+ THA and good height he has potential.
-If a lineman has 90+ STR, weighs 300 pounds he has potential.

Players like this can still have a lower overall rating if they have low awareness, bad hands, fumbling issues, durability problems, or poor technique (like coverage and blocking). As the coach, you would have to decide whether or not to keep him on the on the team while you hope he develops into a complete player. Or you can give the roster spot to the more complete player... but due to his physical limitations doesn't have as much upside. These are the types of decisions teams make every year and I think it would be really cool if that was the way the game worked.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #27
Pro

JeriousNorwood's Arena

OVR: 5

I am cool with potential ratings, and like the idea a lot, as long as potential is a letter grade, and not a concrete number we can see.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #28
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

My problem with potential ratings are there are so many things that factor into a player growth that you just cant assign #'s(or a grade) to them. Take the Ryan Leaf Petyon Manning draft. Who's to say that Ryan Leaf wouldnt have done while in the Colts system. People forget just how well Manning has it with the Colts. Just having the same OC is entire career is an advantage most QB never see. And then there's James Harrison who was cut a couple of times before he made it. How do you factor in a person will to be great?

Like somebody metioned people will be upset with certain potential ratings. I feel like potential should only control tangible ratings like overall speed or accuracy but not the intangible like awr or play recongnition. Tom Brady isnt the best physical QB but his ability to process info is what makes him elite and that is something that cant be measured.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
My problem with potential ratings are there are so many things that factor into a player growth that you just cant assign #'s(or a grade) to them. Take the Ryan Leaf Petyon Manning draft. Who's to say that Ryan Leaf wouldnt have done while in the Colts system. People forget just how well Manning has it with the Colts. Just having the same OC is entire career is an advantage most QB never see. And then there's James Harrison who was cut a couple of times before he made it. How do you factor in a person will to be great?

Like somebody metioned people will be upset with certain potential ratings. I feel like potential should only control tangible ratings like overall speed or accuracy but not the intangible like awr or play recongnition. Tom Brady isnt the best physical QB but his ability to process info is what makes him elite and that is something that cant be measured.
All the more reason these ratings should have a potential cap on them. That way those QBs who have really high potential in those areas (the smarter guys who have the mental capacity to excel) wheter they are drafted in the first round of the last will have the chance to really stand out. If you give every QB the potential to be great in these areas then it really makes a guy like tom less valueable.

If you had this along with this production based progression that all these people seem to want it would then make sense for a player controlling the pats to trade off brady for any young player with a stronger arm as they could easily controlling that player with all the talent around there have that young player put up good stats and soon be better than tom because he could have 99 in all those intangebles with a better arm.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #30
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
All the more reason these ratings should have a potential cap on them. That way those QBs who have really high potential in those areas (the smarter guys who have the mental capacity to excel) wheter they are drafted in the first round of the last will have the chance to really stand out. If you give every QB the potential to be great in these areas then it really makes a guy like tom less valueable.

If you had this along with this production based progression that all these people seem to want it would then make sense for a player controlling the pats to trade off brady for any young player with a stronger arm as they could easily controlling that player with all the talent around there have that young player put up good stats and soon be better than tom because he could have 99 in all those intangebles with a better arm.
I think the random nature of the whole thing is whats turning me off to it. But I do see the good in it and it seems like it can add a lil so thing extra to the game.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »