Home

Please rethink potential ratings!

This is a discussion on Please rethink potential ratings! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Please rethink potential ratings!

Under this current system there will be no more Tom Brady's ,Marcus Colston's ,James Harrison's or Micheal Turner's(just to name a few). There shouldnt be a cap on player pontential because there is no way you can measure what a player pontential is. Some guy dont have the measurable that we might consider pontential but they still perform well. I think Brady is the best example there is no way under that system he would ever be an elite QB. Graham Harrell can end up a really late draft pick and because his pontential level is low he will never be another Brady.

Or at least dont cap a player potential let his pontential grow then then the player can get better. If he maxs out his pontential and is still playing great let his pontential grow and then he would have to play well to max out again.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 04-16-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
MVP

Outkizast's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Please rethink potential ratings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Under this current system there will be no more Tom Brady's ,Marcus Colston's ,James Harrison's or Micheal Turner's(just to name a few). There shouldnt be a cap on player pontential because there is no way you can measure what a player pontential is. Some guy dont have the measurable that we might consider pontential but they still perform well. I think Brady is the best example there is no way under that system he would ever be an elite QB. Graham Harrell can end up a really late draft pick and because his pontential level is low he will never be another Brady.

Or at least dont cap a player potential let his pontential grow then then the player can get better. If he maxs out his pontential and is still playing great let his pontential grow and then he would have to play well to max out again.
I totally agree... i dont like how somebody with a low potential can't increase it... i think if they max it out and reach their potential, it should increase...
Old 04-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

Well I think Josh Looman was going to try to change the potential grade from a number to a letter (i.e A, A+ etc). A lot of people found that to be a fair compromise. I personally don't have a problem with it either way.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
Rookie

burne's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Under this current system there will be no more Tom Brady's ,Marcus Colston's ,James Harrison's or Micheal Turner's(just to name a few).
I think you're mistaken about how the potential system will work. The potential of players will correlate with how high they go in the draft and their OVR when they enter the league, but it certainly isn't decided by their OVR. They're not saying that all players who are 80 have a cap of 87 and all those who are 75 have a cap of 80, etc. The only difference will be that you can't just take any low-rated player and work on him so hard that he becomes a star. Some players will just never become that great and are meant to be role players.

Since all of the draft classes are handmade, as was announced recently, I assure you that they will make it a point to have a few "gems" every year in the later rounds with very high potential. You will still get your Bradys and Colstons.

The real question, which I believe is still being debated, is whether or not you should be able to see a player's potential, and if so, at what point?

Also, personally I wonder how they decided the potentials of existing players... you could have some very p'ed off NFL players in a few months when they realize they can't even make themselves as good as they think they are lol...
Old 04-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
All Star

OVR: 33

Tom Brady has always had a potential of 99. But his overall in the draft was like 66.

So in the 6th round. You see a qb. His expected overall is between 65-70, but he has an A+ potential. Thats Tom Brady.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 20

The potential ratings won't stop there from being tom brady or marques colston type situations. On the contrary it will make those situations possible not just for a user who for whatever reason is able to put up great numbers with a low rated player but also for the CPU controlled teams.

The potential rating is in no way linked to the draft position of the player. Anyone who played head coach which had the same system will tell you that there are players with 90 or better potential in every round. In the initial draft (2008 draft) there were players at every position other than punter and I think the safety positions who in at least 90 potential in the right system. I actually felt that in that game there were too many great players in later rounds especially at the QB position. That can be taken care of with some tuning though. These potential ratings in no way stop you from having steals in the later rounds.

Some real advantages of these ratings are they allow you to actually have busts in the earlier rounds. Just like in real life not every draft pick in the first round has the potential to be a superstar. It also leads to some players being able to be designed to fit a certain player type. For instance it allows them to limit sproles to being a quick/elusive back as they can limit his trucking and strength ratings. On the other hand they can make it so that lendell white won't be able to increase his elusiveness and juke moves and become an elusive back. Being able to do this allows players to develop into usefull players while still playing within their style.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by burne
I think you're mistaken about how the potential system will work. The potential of players will correlate with how high they go in the draft and their OVR when they enter the league, but it certainly isn't decided by their OVR. They're not saying that all players who are 80 have a cap of 87 and all those who are 75 have a cap of 80, etc. The only difference will be that you can't just take any low-rated player and work on him so hard that he becomes a star. Some players will just never become that great and are meant to be role players.

Since all of the draft classes are handmade, as was announced recently, I assure you that they will make it a point to have a few "gems" every year in the later rounds with very high potential. You will still get your Bradys and Colstons.

The real question, which I believe is still being debated, is whether or not you should be able to see a player's potential, and if so, at what point?

Also, personally I wonder how they decided the potentials of existing players... you could have some very p'ed off NFL players in a few months when they realize they can't even make themselves as good as they think they are lol...
I agree with this. I think this is a misunderstanding of the potential rating. Hand Crafted rookies will now be scouted in certain areas and there will be a general "draft board" for the computer. with new draft logic and a new draft board, players liek Tom Brady will be overlooked by every team [including the patriots] for 6 rounds before someone lands him. Remember that Steve Smith and T.O were late 3rd rounders also. I like the idea of players not being drafter off of their OVR rating. In all previous Madden games you saw mid to high 80's in the first round and droping as the draft went on. You felt good when you drafted a 78 inthe 3rd round or a 75 in the 5th. Now you may draft a lower ended played in he 6th, but he has a lot of potential. i am slowley comming around to this idea.

I advise you take a look a my arguement about troy Brown, Kevin Faulk, and Teddy Bruschi. All of these guys are really good players who worked hard thier whole careers and were staples in the Patriots dominance, but even at their best they really only deserve an 83-89 rating. [short version of my argument]. There is nothing wrong with a guy only being an 80-something, there should only be so many "Hall of Fame" players, only so many players for the "hall of realy good" and some many average and crap players.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
Well I think Josh Looman was going to try to change the potential grade from a number to a letter (i.e A, A+ etc). A lot of people found that to be a fair compromise. I personally don't have a problem with it either way.

This wouldn't change anything. The only thing it would change is you wouldn't see the actual number. There is still a number that would be hidden behind that letter for the programming to work.

Coding is done with numbers so there is no way of getting rid of them. You can hid them and only show the user the Letter system you are talking about but there will always be a number or numbers

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »