Home

Get rid of the "Overall" rating.

This is a discussion on Get rid of the "Overall" rating. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 18
Re: Get rid of the "Overall" rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgxjames
I think something should be done, How do you seriously come up with a OVR of a player in real life??
Scouts grade players in the NCAA and NFL and give them overall grades. The OVR rating is not an unrealistic thing.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #18
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

The overall rating in videogames will never go away, period. How else do you propose we realistically distinguish mediocre players from elite players without giving them some kind of grade?

Sure you can give them all the other ratings for their respective positions, but in the end the overall number is what people care about. Now I wouldn't mind to see them using the lettering grading system as opposed to the numbers. I believe that would provide some level of ambiguity, which is surely needed for the sake of realism. No matter how you look at it, you can't get away from an "OVR" grade, whether you grade a guy an "A+" or a "90" overall.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgxjames
I think something should be done, How do you seriously come up with a OVR of a player in real life??
How can you come up with INJ in real life? Or TRK? Or anything? Maybe they should get rid of all ratings, lol.

Or I guess the other alternative is that you can come up with those ratings. TSN/ESPN does it (http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/feature/?id=8882). Mock drafts can do it. To rate one player better than another at the same position you need OVR, at least implicitly.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
The Show has a bar system which I like, and you have to look at things like R/L contact and power disparity between different players, get an overall sense of fielding ability, etc. There are specific numbers under the hood and in the editing menu now, but there's not an overall number and I think that's more realistic.
If a bar's length is dictated by a certain number or an average of numbers, then isn't it the same as having an exact number? You can still see the difference between players with "90" and "93" ratings.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...3011747764.jpg
Old 04-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 13

Pro Evolution Soccer and Football Manager don't have an overall grade and they manage to play just fine... in fact im pretty sure they're the two highest selling sport games in their genre for the last 5 years.

Does it take more than a modicum of brain power to look at a player's individual ratings and tell if he's any good? Yes, but is it that difficult??

Joe Smart:
5'11"- 190lbs
speed 90
acc 93
catching 85
route run 86
jump 83

Steve Dumb:
6'4"- 206lbs
speed 95
acc 95
catching 92
route run 85
jump 93

NO... can anyone tell who's better out of these two wide receivers?? (Note* you may have to concentrate and think for a few seconds).

Joe Smart would have an overall of 85 (estimate)
Steve Dumb would have an overall would be 90.

The overall grade is purely aesthetic in it's use and is driven by the lazyness of gamers nowadays (Americans in particular) who just want an arcade game- hence why "weapons" was introduced a couple of years back.

In truth the overall grade of a player in EA games is often skewed by entirely arbitrary ratings like awareness.

A true sim game wouldn't have an overall rating nor a potential overall rating (visible anyway)... you would keep a player if he played well for you not just because he was a 90.

I agree with the op but it will never happen because the "community" will be up in arms. An option to turn it on/off is a very good idea that i believe should without a doubt be implemented.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 12

It must stay, it isn't optional.

But I would go along with you with the ON/OFF.

I think there should be an ON/OFF for Potential rating but no one seemed to back me up on my post about progression. I think we should have an option of choosing how player progress/regress: stats, potential, how much injury effect regression, think like that make a slider for them.

I feel the more options they give US the more people the game with appeal to.

Last edited by stux; 04-18-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremedunkz
I've been thinkin about t his for a while. Ans even if this was just placed as an option in Franchise Mode it would be very useful. A lot of people see a linebacker rated 85 overall, and then a linebacker rated 80 overall. They will take the 85 rated guy 95% of the time. But if you were to get rid of or hide the overall rating. It requires the player to look throguh all the ratigns to decide what kind of player he wants. Does he want the backer with more speed and pursuit? Or does he want the strong hard hitting backer?

I just think this would add more planning into franchise mode and would liek to see this option added at some point.

A new kicking system of all things is what is going to make you buy 2010. hm.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #24
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintravise
A new kicking system of all things is what is going to make you buy 2010. hm.
simply watch the video in my arena and you will see exactly why

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »