Home

EA struggles with another $310 million in lost revenue...

This is a discussion on EA struggles with another $310 million in lost revenue... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #97
MVP

OVR: 55
Re: EA struggles with another $310 million in lost revenue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
I am already on the list of people who feel that pre-canned animations arent the way to go. I have yet to play BB obviously but the idea behind it is what I feel NG games should have been at a long time ago. Games like 2k5 and madden get old because its the exact same animations almost over and over again and that is not what we see IRL.

As much as I would like to see pre-canned animations die, I also dont think that BB will be able to go without them. There are the RB moves and Catch animations that are going to be extremely hard to pull off. If these arent pre-canned animatinos then they will have to come up with a whole new AI system that is not only self aware of its enviroment(side lines, other players ect) but it has to take into account the players abilities and size and then after all that has to make a human model that takes everything into account and reacts like a human would/could. That would be ground breaking stuff.

If they manage to implement the gameplay correctly with Euphoria, then I agree that everyone who has played BB will demand that madden make the shift to something similar to this.
If they pull off what you describe every other sports game will struggle to compete with that. I'd call that "raising the bar". It'd be in a league all it's own.

Sadly nearly everything at this point is purely speculation.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #98
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc

If they manage to implement the gameplay correctly with Euphoria, then I agree that everyone who has played BB will demand that madden make the shift to something similar to this.
Yeah, and like I said that's a big "if".

I know that EA was hoping that BB was vaporware. Recent posts from their board suggest that the reports of BB's demise have been greatly exaggerated. This year's E3 conference could be a huge shift in how we look at games.

But man, if they did get it to work, think of the possibilities. I agree with you that running a single football play requires a tremendous amount of AI combined with physics. If they had to combine NM with mo-cap then you will get alot of the repetition that you mentioned.

I'm hoping that the catches and jukes will be dynamic. I'll be blown away if the ball is actually thrown dynamically. That means no pre-determined ball trajectory. Dynamic passes, catches, blocking, tackling and running moves will make every single play a highlight. The press will run with this as the death of mo-cap and force a move by EA.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #99
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
Yeah, and like I said that's a big "if".

I know that EA was hoping that BB was vaporware. Recent posts from their board suggest that the reports of BB's demise have been greatly exaggerated. This year's E3 conference could be a huge shift in how we look at games.

But man, if they did get it to work, think of the possibilities. I agree with you that running a single football play requires a tremendous amount of AI combined with physics. If they had to combine NM with mo-cap then you will get alot of the repetition that you mentioned.

I'm hoping that the catches and jukes will be dynamic. I'll be blown away if the ball is actually thrown dynamically. That means no pre-determined ball trajectory. Dynamic passes, catches, blocking, tackling and running moves will make every single play a highlight. The press will run with this as the death of mo-cap and force a move by EA.
That's about all we can do. Maybe the other sports games have raised the bar some in comparison to their past releases on NG but as it stands they have yet to make a truly WOW increase from what was being made in 2004 time frame. A game that no longer requires pre-canned animations should be the ideal future because you cant get much more real then that.

I dont think this is something EA could pull off in one year. Even if they were to buy out the tech and try and use it they would still prob need 2-4 years before we would see it in the game if that dont completely focus on it. Online Dynasty took one year and thats all they focused on....
Old 04-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #100
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

Quote:
Ian and EA are in a real pickle if BB actually works. It may not, and it may all be hype. But if it does simulate football then the game that plays the most real will NOT be an NFL product, and the game that looks the most real will be.

I'm leaning toward BB coming out as a very lean game. It will be short on goodies and features, but strong on game physics. Madden will look so good you want to eat it, but still basically play like a 1990's video game.

If that happens, then Ian and his team will be forced to abandon mo-cap and try to implement Euphoria. Why? Because the criticism will be WHITE HOT from the press, not just the fans. IGN and Game Informer will fry EA for not having this tech.

I like the conflict. I think it's healthy. This is capitalism at it's best. Backbreaker will never be a great Madden competitor, but has the opportunity to publicly humiliate EA Sports. That will be good for sports gaming, and ultimately good for us fans.
All EA needs to do is match 2k football's animations. GI, IGN, etc. aren't really going to hound them for not using it. Really... all the tech is is different tackles. It isn't THAT THAT big for a game that will seem to have 2k football animations, good graphics, depth, good presentation, etc. to be hounded just because it doesn't have euphoria. If anything, they might mention it or recommend EA to use it in future titles but I really doubt they will hound them.

As the 2k football games show, you can have great animations without using euphoria.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #101
Rookie

OVR: 1

I think it is time for them to think about releasing madden 10 on PC

They will get some $$ from pc gamers ...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #102
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:

EA has not done right by the exclusive license. They have produced a sub-standard product and been able to silence their competitors though legal means.
I agree with you SS.

I normally don't make a habit outta bashing EA/Tiburon, but nor do I feel sorry for the beating they've taken, here of the internet.

I also believe a feeling of responsibility should have come with the exclusive license. But I suppose thats the world we wish we were living in. However...business being what it is...business, the bottom line is all that matters. If a company can still maximize profit, without too much concern about quality or innovation...EA imo, is just doing business.

I think there still is time for EA/TIB to turn things around with this rather disappointing gen of Madden. And it's past due for all the hype to be backed up with some content. Hopefully for everyone, this year will be the year things start to turn.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #103
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
I agree with you SS.

I normally don't make a habit outta bashing EA/Tiburon, but nor do I feel sorry for the beating they've taken, here of the internet.

I also believe a feeling of responsibility should have come with the exclusive license. But I suppose thats the world we wish we were living in. However...business being what it is...business, the bottom line is all that matters. If a company can still maximize profit, without too much concern about quality or innovation...EA imo, is just doing business.

I think there still is time for EA/TIB to turn things around with this rather disappointing gen of Madden. And it's past due for all the hype to be backed up with some content. Hopefully for everyone, this year will be the year things start to turn.
I personally think a lot of people don't realize that Madden has always had a pretty hard time transitioning to new consoles. Some think that just because they got the exclusive NFL license in 04 that they just been given us bare bones games for the 360. I'm not using this as an excuse in anyway because it's still bad but I remember back in the 90's when Gameday was a lot better than Madden and Madden was playing catch-up and on top of that they got off to a bad start since they canceled Madden 96 for the PS1. The PS2 transition was the best due to the graphical leap even though there were some things missing that the late PS1 maddens had. Though I guess them having the license should make them have more of an effort to not follow the trend.

But anyways, here's to hoping that the future transitions wont be as bad as they have been for these past years.

Last edited by Bgamer90; 04-19-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #104
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Boy oh boy, lol. One flew over the mutha****ing cuckoos nest baby, lol. Where are all of these nuts coming from all of a sudden, bashing Madden and calling everybody Madden fanboys. I smell 2k fanboys in the mist.

Calm down, what you guys aren't realizing at the moment, is that pretty much everyone here likes 2k football also. As hard as it may be for you to grasp the concept of someone enjoying both games, trust me, its real.

Coming over here pullin a kick door, (like you hittin a lic, or maybe super swat team) thinking your crashing a Madden fanboy party is the wrong move. Like I stated we like 2k just as much as you. I like Madden too though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »