Home

Re: Sure Wish I would Have Been Invited To Game Test for EA, Discuss Play Creating

This is a discussion on Re: Sure Wish I would Have Been Invited To Game Test for EA, Discuss Play Creating within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #73
Ready to chase #12

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Sure Wish I would Have Been Invited To Game Test for EA, Discuss Play Creating

how did we get back to discussing monopolies? Didn't we have this conversation about 5 years ago?

I miss the old OS

There are two things you can't get back in this world; time and money. Spend both wisely

Louisville|Cardinals
Old 04-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #74
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
Wow. You don't seem to know exactly what a "monopoly" is.

Are you aware of the fact that the NFL itself IS A MONOPOLY, and currently holds a FEDERAL EXEMPTION from anti-trust prosecution?

As a monopoly it is improper (and likely will be ruled illegal by the courts) for the NFL to create OTHER MONOPOLIES by excluding market competition with the exclusive license.

The NFL is the only game in town. If you want to sell a football game that competes with Madden you NEED the NFL license. That's how the market works, and your saying it isn't so does not make your word the truth. You can't just wish away inconvenient facts like that.
Dont tell that to the people who make BackBreaker
Old 04-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #75
Ready to chase #12

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1DR03L3KTRIC
Please see original thread, look at post #3 and #5, if you feel that is an acceptable response to the OP then you are wrong, a mod is not needed to decide if that was the cordial response or not, I am tired of some "senior members" that continue to to talk down to other (newer) users on this site. That response could not have been more insulting to the OP or the rest of the community; to think that EA had chosen their most "hardcore fans" to tell them how to improve a game they have been producing for the last 25 years and call them the "elite 8" is laughable considering they cant even give a proper response to a simple post.
first EA selected those members, as well as others who could not attend for one reason or another, due to their critical, but well thought out and "helpful" posts. And EA didn't call these guys the "Elite 8", I did. Its a term I used in the blog thread that dealt with community day and the community members that attended were answering questions. I used that term for fun as a way of directing a question/comment towards them without having to type their full usernames in. I didn't mean anything by it, just a name I tagged on to them. I guess I was still in b-ball mode when I put that name on them. So if you have an issue with that, then I'm the one to blame.

I miss the old OS

There are two things you can't get back in this world; time and money. Spend both wisely

Louisville|Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #76
Banned

OVR: 35

I agree with H1DR03L3KTRIC about the senior members being douches to new members and some of the 8 guys do give ******* responses.....alot.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #77
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:

Are you aware of the fact that the NFL itself IS A MONOPOLY, and currently holds a FEDERAL EXEMPTION from anti-trust prosecution?

As a monopoly it is improper (and likely will be ruled illegal by the courts) for the NFL to create OTHER MONOPOLIES by excluding market competition with the exclusive license.

The NFL is the only game in town. If you want to sell a football game that competes with Madden you NEED the NFL license. That's how the market works, and your saying it isn't so does not make your word the truth. You can't just wish away inconvenient facts like that.
The NFL does not have an anti-trust exemption except as it applies to broadcasting. MLB does... the idea that the NFL has the same protections as MLB is a myth.

Hence, the NFL has had 5 attempted competitors over the course of it's existence... three folded (WFL, USFL, XFL) and two were absorbed (AFL, AAFC). MLB has had no serious challengers in it's existence due to it's anti-trust exemption.

At any rate... you are essentially saying that the NFL should be forced to share it's license with anyone who asks. Does that mean any company should be allowed to put the name "Tom Clancy" on their games, Tom Clancy himself having no say in the matter? Is that not a monopoly on Tom Clancy games? Should any company be permitted to make Harry Potter games, with no say from the creators?

It's the same thing. Your wish for 2 NFL licensed games does not trump the NFL's right to it's own property, intellectual or otherwise.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #78
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:

Not again...

http://www.chicagoiplitigation.com/2...-act-purposes/

Quote:
Posted on July 24, 2007 by R. David Donoghue
Am. Needle, Inc. v. New Orleans Louisiana Saints, __ F. Supp.2d __, 2007 WL 2042764 (N.D. Ill. Jul. 11, 2007) (Moran, J.).
Judge Moran granted defendants, the NFL, NFL Properties and each of the thirty two teams (collectively the “NFL”) as well as Reebok International, Ltd. (“Reebok”), summary judgment on plaintiff’s Sherman Act antitrust claims, finding that the NFL acts through NFL Properties as a single entity for IP licensing purposes. For more than twenty years, NFL Properties licensed plaintiff to use various trademarks on its headwear. Plaintiff filed this suit after NFL Properties entered an exclusive license with Reebok, ending plaintiff’s license rights. Plaintiff argued that the NFL teams collectively, as well as in concert with Reebok, violated the antitrust laws by acting together through NFL Properties to license their collective intellectual property rights exclusively to Reebok (plaintiff argued that the NFL did not violate antitrust laws when it licensed to numerous parties, including plaintiff, through NFL Properties). But the Court held that licensing coordination between the NFL and its teams was equivalent to coordination between a corporation and its wholly-owned subsidiary. Because the Supreme Court treats corporations and their wholly-owned subsidiaries as single entities, there could be no conspiracy and no antitrust violation.

Last game: Houston 56 USF 21
Next game: 11/21 @ SMU

Old 04-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #79
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
how did we get back to discussing monopolies? Didn't we have this conversation about 5 years ago?
Yes. We also had it 4 years ago, and 3 years ago, and two years ago, and last year, and earlier this year...

Last game: Houston 56 USF 21
Next game: 11/21 @ SMU

Old 04-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #80
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski

At any rate... you are essentially saying that the NFL should be forced to share it's license with anyone who asks. Does that mean any company should be allowed to put the name "Tom Clancy" on their games, Tom Clancy himself having no say in the matter? Is that not a monopoly on Tom Clancy games? Should any company be permitted to make Harry Potter games, with no say from the creators?

It's the same thing. Your wish for 2 NFL licensed games does not trump the NFL's right to it's own property, intellectual or otherwise.

What is the purpose of the anti-trust laws? To prevent people from cornering a market. This is exactly what EA and the NFL have done.

You and Coogrfan need to understand that the courts are not always right. I, like many others, believed the lower court not only ruled incorrectly but overstepped their bounds.

There is only ONE NFL. The market for a football game is dependent on the NFL teams of the fans. Your Tom Clancy analogy is terrible. The majority of people who buy his games do so for the gameplay, not Tom Clancy's name. The NFL is the only league of it's kind in the United States. Period. It is a unique entity, and most of the people who buy the game do so in order to use their own NFL team.

Not having the NFL license puts any game developer in an UNFAIR market disadvantage. Because they cannot compete on equal footing with an equal or better product without the NFL teams and players the NFL has created a new monopoly.

Just because the law has not caught up with this particular market issue does not mean the anti-trust argument has no merit. The law concurs with you today, but a better argument is being made against the status quo. The law may indeed go against you tomorrow.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »