Home

Mixing 2k8, Madden, and Head Coach

This is a discussion on Mixing 2k8, Madden, and Head Coach within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 26
Mixing 2k8, Madden, and Head Coach for M11

So far M10 is shaping up quite well. Although we dont know much about it yet, it is safe to assume that they are aiming to out do what 2k has previously put out. Many people have also argued for keeping the overall system or switching over to a star system. My question is why cant we have both?

Flashback to M07 CG on the xbox. They had player roles. If a player performed and had the stats he would get a player role. So if a DE had good pass rush and got a lot of sacks he would gain the role of pass rusher and get +1 to pass rush and other stats as long as he had the stats and produced. If a QB had won several 4th quarter come backs then he would get the 4th quarter comeback role and if he was trying to make a comback he would get a boost in his stats in the 4th quarter.

Think about it for a moment. Doesnt that sound like 2k8s system of player set moves? I didnt play 2k8 but I heard talk about some of the skills players got. Its a dumbed down version in M07 but I like the idea of having both the overall and player "styles" or "roles".

Look at Reggie Bush and AD(adrian peterson). Both have high juke ratings and spin moves but can you honestly say they run the same in that type of manner(avoiding tackles and such not AD head smashing)? Why not make a move set that players can have at X stat. Take the spin move, you could make explosive spins, wide spins, contact spin moves, and in space spin moves. The juke could be cutback juke, stutter step, and break tackle juke. They could even break it down into everyone has basic moves then their would be intermidete, advanced, and expert moves that if a player had a high enough juke move that they could "possibly" aquire that skill set.

How cool would it be to have two players with 99 stats behave and play differently? One could have Expert stutter step, basic cut back juke, and advanced break tackle juke and the other would have advanced stutter step, expert cut back juke, and advanced break tackle juke but they would still both have 99 juke move.

Why dont they both have expert in all of their juke moves if they had 99 in juke? Because that would mean they are Barry Sanders lol. A player can be amazing at doing something like juking but not know how to do the more advanced moves. They would be able to juke faster/better but not have the ability to use the better animations because they have yet to be trained or they dont know them yet.

This would allow a greater depth in the offseason and scheming. During the offseason you should be able to hire positional coaches as well as your offensive, defensive, and head coach. All of these coaches would have these type of different skill sets from basic-expert. During the offseason or preseason you could try and teach your players how to do these more advanced moves if they had a high enough attribute to learn the better moves.

They wouldnt automatticly get the new types of moves. They would slowly gain points in upgrading to the next skill set(basic-expert). so they would need 500 points to get to intermediate then 1000 to advanced then 2000 to expert. Those are just random numbers just as of what it could be. Another addition from Head Coach.

This makes picking your coaches and players that more important.(scheming) You wouldnt want to pick up a coach that can teach truck moves if you have an elusive back.

Players wont always learn the skills you try and teach them. There should be a learning stat(from head coach) added that not only applies to the playbook but also to how well they can be taught by coaches and other players. This will make it so dumber players in the NFL cant learn the best of the best moves as fast unless they are worked extremely hard but it would still be slow.

Say you have Dewhite Freeney on your roster and you draft Everett Brown who is known as a one trick pony. For DEs pass rush moves I will say there is rip move, club move, swim move, and spin move.(I would say there should be more buttions added so you can have a proper control over your DE but thats another topic) So Freeney would have his great skill set and a high learning skill but Brown would have maybe one move up to advanced and the rest to basic. You could pair them up during the offseason or make groups of players to try and train the younger guys with the more experanced and older players. With one on one training together Brown would train faster then if he was set in a group of 5 players.

Obviously, not every player comes out of the draft with basic moves. You could end up drafting the next AD who makes a big impact right away(with his great skill set) or you could be drafting a player(that has lesser skill set but simlar stats) that could use alot of work but could be useful in 2-3 years.

This could add alot of depth and realism to the game in the future as well make every player seem different instead of the current system where if you have 99 you can pretty much do anything with any player reguardless of anything else. What do yall think?

Last edited by Glorious Arc; 04-20-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
Rookie

RobertBrazil's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Mixing 2k8, Madden, and Head Coach

Sounds nice, but this is EA not 2k Sports. they're not capable of achieving this just yet.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
MVP

wrestlinggod1's Arena

OVR: 13

I don't think this is a place to bash^^^^ Anyways, I would love to see this implemented.

Go MIAMI Teams!!
Old 04-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Wow, that was a book, but a good one.

I remember the player roles on the PC/XBox/PS2 games and, while there was some inconsistent programming with them, I like the concept... but your idea that they get access to animations other players don't is the kicker and makes the system interesting to me. I think that's an outstanding idea, and would go far to make special players truly special.

Learning is another thing I'd love to see in Madden. Anything that adds another dimension that separates 85 Rated Runningback A from 85 Rated Runningback B is a good idea if implemented right.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 0

right,it is good
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 55

I never played 07 CG, but that idea sounds very similar to APF's abilities which I love. That system just characterizes players better... which I've explained repeatedly so I won't do it again.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:09 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 8

I've always wanted this but never felt like I could explain it well enough to write a book on it. So.... thanks!!!! I support this idea big time! Hopefully it's already in the works or I'm afraid we will have to wait until M11.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Wow, that was a book, but a good one.

I remember the player roles on the PC/XBox/PS2 games and, while there was some inconsistent programming with them, I like the concept... but your idea that they get access to animations other players don't is the kicker and makes the system interesting to me. I think that's an outstanding idea, and would go far to make special players truly special.

Learning is another thing I'd love to see in Madden. Anything that adds another dimension that separates 85 Rated Runningback A from 85 Rated Runningback B is a good idea if implemented right.
It wasnt THAT long...it was only 900 and change words

It took me awhile to get the motivation to post that idea and as I was writing it I thought up of the last bit of it so it was even longer then I thought it was going to be.

@icomb1ne
I am almost 100% sure that a concept like this could not make it into M10 but it would be interested for a M11 or later.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »