Home

Old 04-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #33
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: ESPN License

http://www.stripesonfire.com/nsc/

for the two guys arguing...

09 and oblivion take up the same amount of space.

Last edited by wordtobigbird; 04-20-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
I can't wait to see what they've done with presentation this year. Ian seems to be dedicated to making huge presentation improvements for M10. Hopefully some of those improvements revolve around the ESPN license.

What do you expect EA reps to say?
They are alot like Sports Agents in that they call everybody that they represent " the best " at their position.

Every year, they say that the upcoming Madden will be the best one ever, they listened to the fans,etc.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 1

I thought they use the ESPN bottom line. I know I see stats scroll across my screen when in Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 5

I was talking about Madden because this is the MADDEN forum, this thread is ABOUT Madden. Why would I compare it to any other game? I honestly don't want to keep going because you obviously have no self awareness and just think you are right, regardless of the facts that are sitting in front of you. The amount of stats and customization in Oblivion vs Madden is way more. And yes, I can compare an RPG to Madden because like I said before, all games use code, and all games are on the same size disk. My main point is that if Oblivion and GTA can be ridiculous in detail and have excellent A.I, there's no reason Madden can't do something similar, or at least add interactive sidelines, or more commentators, or a ridiculous amount of other things wrong this game.

BTW I can tell you had nothing to say because you felt the need to correct me on uniformS....get real.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #37
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdeuce
Makes sense... terrible sense.. why don't they use both? implement them both, ESPN game presentation with an NFL network highlights show. MAKE THEM BOTH HAPPY! They have the rights to both correct?
This is the same reason why you would never see Coca-Cola and Pepsico products in the same game. Why would you want to promote your opponent even with everything else being the same? I'm sure EA wants to use the ESPN license, but the NFL is telling them not to because they want to promote the NFL Network.

It may not make sense to you, but the NFL is using good business practice here in order to put a minimal showing of ESPN in their product. They don't want you going to ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPN.com for any NFL information. Using ESPN products in the game encourages that, and thus the NFL will say no to it.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:55 PM   #38
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
This is the same reason why you would never see Coca-Cola and Pepsico products in the same game. Why would you want to promote your opponent even with everything else being the same? I'm sure EA wants to use the ESPN license, but the NFL is telling them not to because they want to promote the NFL Network.

It may not make sense to you, but the NFL is using good business practice here in order to put a minimal showing of ESPN in their product. They don't want you going to ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPN.com for any NFL information. Using ESPN products in the game encourages that, and thus the NFL will say no to it.
So, if EA has exclusive rights to the NFL then why bother purchasing rights to ESPN at all then? Doesn't make sense at all... Is Espn going to make "back yard football '09" where you can play as a bunch of 10 year olds and have anyone care? Or are they worried about Backbreaker being an ESPN game? good god that's weak.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #39
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdeuce
So, if EA has exclusive rights to the NFL then why bother purchasing rights to ESPN at all then? Doesn't make sense at all... Is Espn going to make "back yard football '09" where you can play as a bunch of 10 year olds and have anyone care? Or are they worried about Backbreaker being an ESPN game? good god that's weak.
ESPN is an independent agent. EA snatched it up because A) 2k was using it like no tomorrow, and B) it was before the NFL Network. Now, they are stuck with the license with nothing to do for it but to let it sit on the ticker.

In the end, it comes to the NFL telling EA what they can and can't put into the game. I feel ESPN integration other than the ticker (which doesn't even look like "The Bottom Line") is strictly forbidden by the suits in New York.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 1

I agree with everything you've said man. There is no excuse for leaving out extra commentary. Any lack of disc space is an example of inefficiency on behalf of the dev team. Look at how much extra crap is in that game that doesn't need to be there- The Orange Box contains Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode 1, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, AND Team Fortress 2 , and only eats up 5GB (give or take) or disc space and is vastly superior in every way from a developers perspective. Valve is renowned for maintaining high quality and performance out of their graphics engines while remaining remarkabley efficient. Those games can run great on PCs that were dated nearly 10 years ago. So no, there is no excuse for MADDEN to not have these kinds of features. Let me be clear that I am not knocking Ian, Raczilla or the rest of the dev team because I know last year it was a previous group working on 09. But that being said, there is truely no excuse for not including something as simple as better commentary this year. Every one of my friends I've talked to when the subject was brought up said they hated the commentary, you hear the exact same scripts being read over and over again in a single game, Al Michaels sounds like text-to-voice software, and Collinsworth's trademarked douchebaggery is skidmarked all over the color commentary, which is now brown. At least with Madden, regardless of what people think of him, was entertaining and was fun to listen to (90% of the game is half mental). But I do feel pretty confident that this will be improved upon this year, seeing how upgrades in presentation has been a pretty relevent goal...With the tools developers have to work with these days there should be no excuse for making a sub par game...but somehow it happens every year in every genre...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtoddx
I was talking about Madden because this is the MADDEN forum, this thread is ABOUT Madden. Why would I compare it to any other game? I honestly don't want to keep going because you obviously have no self awareness and just think you are right, regardless of the facts that are sitting in front of you. The amount of stats and customization in Oblivion vs Madden is way more. And yes, I can compare an RPG to Madden because like I said before, all games use code, and all games are on the same size disk. My main point is that if Oblivion and GTA can be ridiculous in detail and have excellent A.I, there's no reason Madden can't do something similar, or at least add interactive sidelines, or more commentators, or a ridiculous amount of other things wrong this game.

BTW I can tell you had nothing to say because you felt the need to correct me on uniformS....get real.

Last edited by ElDoceHombre; 04-20-2009 at 04:35 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »