Home

Old 04-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #81
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: Jags new uniforms in 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKE4742
TAKE IT BACK!
I like the Jags, actually. But they are really losing alot of what made them so successful in 2007. Not saying they cant be good, but as of right now, I dont see a great team.

Not trying to be mean...just honest.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #82
Rookie

firktaf's Arena

OVR: 7

Well, we obviously weren't a good team last year, that's why we "earned" the #8 pick, lol. So there's no disputing that. I wouldn't call us mediocre though as this past season is really the first time we've been uncompetitive in about 5-6 years and, imo, it's a bit too soon to write us off as teams do have occasional down years every now and then. We had some bad luck when we really had quality teams by always being a little worse than the Colts.

Now I will say that the future doesn't bode well for us and I think we're caught between rebuilding and being competitive. If you look at the Jaguars 1st round picks for the last 6 drafts, then you'll see why our competitiveness dropped off. Derrick Harvey, Reggie Nelson, Marcedes Lewis, Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, and Byron Leftwich. 3 of those guys aren't even on the team anymore and the other 3 haven't exactly been impressive. Lewis needs a breakout year in 09 for me to not label him a bust, Nelson had a good rookie season but stepped back last year, and Harvey came into camp so late that I'm not even sure what to think of him yet.

So, this was bound to happen sooner or later and this draft will be key to how we perform this year. If Sanchez falls to us at 8 and we take him(not that I'm opposed to that), then you can pretty much mark it down that the Jags won't make the playoffs in 09. If we actually take a position of need like B.J. Raji(and Jags staff loves to preach BAP so we'll see what happens with that) and they continue that trend throughout the draft, then I think you'll see us possibly make a run this year because we still have enough quality parts if some players develop(like the 3 mentioned above) and everyone stays healthy. Either way, this draft is especially important to us...moreso than other drafts.

NFL:
Jacksonville Jaguars
MLB:
St. Louis Cardinals
NBA:
Orlando Magic
NCAA: UCF Knights
Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #83
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by firktaf
Well, we obviously weren't a good team last year, that's why we "earned" the #8 pick, lol. So there's no disputing that. I wouldn't call us mediocre though as this past season is really the first time we've been uncompetitive in about 5-6 years and, imo, it's a bit too soon to write us off as teams do have occasional down years every now and then. We had some bad luck when we really had quality teams by always being a little worse than the Colts.

Now I will say that the future doesn't bode well for us and I think we're caught between rebuilding and being competitive. If you look at the Jaguars 1st round picks for the last 6 drafts, then you'll see why our competitiveness dropped off. Derrick Harvey, Reggie Nelson, Marcedes Lewis, Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, and Byron Leftwich. 3 of those guys aren't even on the team anymore and the other 3 haven't exactly been impressive. Lewis needs a breakout year in 09 for me to not label him a bust, Nelson had a good rookie season but stepped back last year, and Harvey came into camp so late that I'm not even sure what to think of him yet.

So, this was bound to happen sooner or later and this draft will be key to how we perform this year. If Sanchez falls to us at 8 and we take him(not that I'm opposed to that), then you can pretty much mark it down that the Jags won't make the playoffs in 09. If we actually take a position of need like B.J. Raji(and Jags staff loves to preach BAP so we'll see what happens with that) and they continue that trend throughout the draft, then I think you'll see us possibly make a run this year because we still have enough quality parts if some players develop(like the 3 mentioned above) and everyone stays healthy. Either way, this draft is especially important to us...moreso than other drafts.
I agree. The thing about last year was there was several problems on the defense. Reggie Nelson was a stud his rookie year and declined his 2nd year. Why? Because the man Drayton Florence was suppose to be covering blew past him ALL YEAR and Nelson had to cover both guys. Also the missed tackles didn't help. Our secondary was getting tourched by average to below average QBs all year long. Garrard didn't even get 3 seconds into the play before he was laying on his back.

With Greg Jones, Mojo, Holt and possibly a future playmaker WR, and a healthy Offensive line, we can be back in contention in the South.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #84
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Here's a high quality photo of the uniform on Garrard from the event. You can also see how the light is affecting his helmet.

I'm really starting to wonder how much of an effect these uniforms will have on the players due to them being 30% lighter than the other NFL uniforms. Fabric is generally pretty light so I don't think it would help their speed much(if at all). Maybe they'll just be less cumbersome and allow for more flexibility? I don't know. It's something to look forward to.
I doubt it'll have any noticeable effect. Plus, the entire NFL will have access to those. Reebok does the uniforms for the whole league, remember. Reebok guy took it upon himself to throw in a sales pitch for all the awesome new technology and they cut him off in mid-sentence to get on with the unveiling. The Jaguars aren't going to have any advantage over any other team.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:18 AM   #85
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:

Marcedes Lewis would be a lot better if the team would actually use him correctly. When they actually use him down the middle of the field he is very effective. He struggles when he runs 5 yard routes over and over....and that's when he actually gets to go out as a receiver. He spent a lot of time blocking last year because of the o-line problems but he still had a good season catching the ball. He has also turned into a good blocker. His receiving stats are getting better every year and 41 rec. for around 500 yards isn't bad considering the state of the entire offense last year.

A lot of Nelsons problems came from his injury after running into Brian Williams and the fact that he had to learn a new system. Nelson has never been a very bright guy so it wasn't easy for him to switch from the scheme Mike Smith had in place (which he still never had fully grasped) to the more complex scheme of Greg Williams. Really our whole D suffered from trying to learn a scheme that non of our players were really suited for.

Last edited by cha0ss0ldier; 04-23-2009 at 06:20 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #86
Rookie

OVR: 11

It took a little while, but I love them. I think it's great and I'm excited to see it on the field. Wayne Weaver mentioned teams have three jerseys; home, away and one other. I'm curious to see what the organization chooses for their third.
24-8 Madden 12 Record.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #87
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synkopated
I'm curious to see what the organization chooses for their third.

I don't think the Jags will have a third. Isn't that the point? They want to maintain an identity by keeping the uniform selection to simply home and away.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #88
MVP

OVR: 39

Just a little tidbit of info > I PM Michael Young yesterday, and he said there will be a few combos for the Jags..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »