Home

Vision Cone

This is a discussion on Vision Cone within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2009, 06:51 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Vision Cone

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Going thur progressions is looking from WR to WR based on the design of the play. Most play Qb's know where they wanna go pre-snap and adjust if that WR isnt open to find one thats is. It has little if anything to do with vision. Qb's that throw a ton of picks see the WR they just fail to realise the defense of player waiting too pick the ball off. Ya'll forget a lot of passing plays are based on timing so a QB has to know based on his pre-snap read who should be open and they arent throwing to a WR at all there throwing to a spot thats why sometimes Qb throw passes right to the defender. And as a fan we look like what the hell was he doing thats because the QB miss read the defense. It about reading defenses not seeing better! And the cone dont represent that.
That's exactly what the cone does represent in my opinion. You have the cone over your primary receiver, if the lane/receiver is open you can attempt the lead/drop the ball somewhere within the cone. Play done. If as you say the receiver is covered however, this is when you have to go through your progressions, hence shifting the cone to another target scanning that area of the field, then attempting to find a spot within this cone to place the ball to one of your other receivers. And during this you're always bearing in mind your QB's range and ability as not the whole field is available to throw to at any given time - this added realism. That's how I always used it anyway.

Without the cone you can just drop back, scan the whole field and then send it to any receiver regardless of where the actual QB is looking or what position he is on the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 06:56 PM   #42
MVP

cedwebb's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Going thur progressions is looking from WR to WR based on the design of the play. Most play Qb's know where they wanna go pre-snap and adjust if that WR isnt open to find one thats is. It has little if anything to do with vision. Qb's that throw a ton of picks see the WR they just fail to realise the defense of player waiting too pick the ball off. Ya'll forget a lot of passing plays are based on timing so a QB has to know based on his pre-snap read who should be open and they arent throwing to a WR at all there throwing to a spot thats why sometimes Qb throw passes right to the defender. And as a fan we look like what the hell was he doing thats because the QB miss read the defense. It about reading defenses not seeing better! And the cone dont represent that.
That had me cracking up cause its so true! As a fan we are like, dude he threw if right at the defender, WTH! GET HIM OUT OF THERE!

I don't know how to represent that aspect of the game but it possible the cone could be replaced by the QB turning, planting then throwing when the WR button is pressed. The better the QB the quicker those things happen.

What if we just took out the WR icons and threw to a spot on the field. The better the QB accuracy the closer to the WR the ball gets when pointed in their direction. Take pressure and motion into account and we might have what we are looking for. Then you will never see the same pass twice. Am I crazy or is that a good idea?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #43
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murkzilla
That's exactly what the cone does represent in my opinion. You have the cone over your primary receiver, if the lane/receiver is open you can attempt the lead/drop the ball somewhere within the cone. Play done. If as you say the receiver is covered however, this is when you have to go through your progressions, hence shifting the cone to another target scanning that area of the field, then attempting to find a spot within this cone to place the ball to one of your other receivers. And during this you're always bearing in mind your QB's range and ability as not the whole field is available to throw to at any given time - this added realism. That's how I always used it anyway.

Without the cone you can just drop back, scan the whole field and then send it to any receiver regardless of where the actual QB is looking or what position he is on the field.
Sorry the cone was based on post-snap vision not pre-snap reads. Why do you think Micheal Vick cone was so small and Peyton Manning was damn near the whole screen? That why I think double tap system is better. Even with the cone you the gamer can still see the whole field. Progression is looking at WR to WR not one side of the field to the other. Double tap system will force you to use pre-snap read because it will take longer having to press the button twice and you still have to survey the field like you did with the cone.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #44
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

While I think the vision cone was a great effort in adding to the QB position it was just simply too cumbersome. I loved the try though as I simply hate the "hit button X for Wr X" method. There has to be a better system untried yet to make it more user relevant other than what we have. Just like I loved Fevers read and Lead system, because it added more user input plus I LOVED the throwing to a spot on the field instead of the WR button method. That added tons more user input and you really felt great when you had a good throwing game. The cursor was just a tad to slow to make it great though.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 04-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 10

they need to bring it back my passing was way better with it on than it off. plus it tought me not to stare at a receiver for to long or you get sacked or end up forcing it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #46
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americas Team1
I know alot of ppl dont like it but I think it needs to be in the game.When you play offline you should be able to turn it off but it should be on at all times online.Ppl want a realistic game but dont want them to add a realistic feature in the game.In real life QBs dont see every square inch of the field at once.
NO.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:14 AM   #47
Rookie

Americas Team1's Arena

OVR: 10

[quote=JMD;2039461596]NO.[/QUOTE

I just think the vision cone or something like should be in the game.

Last edited by Americas Team1; 05-05-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:46 AM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 6

why are some people taking the cone at face value? you cant replicate perfectly how a qb reads irl, so the cone was the best thing, what other mechanism could allow the defense to see CLEARLY where the qb was looking, penalize staring down, allow for the looking off of receivers, misleading zone defenders, make peyton manning's ability to "see" a defense relevant, make rex a terrible qb?

some of us/you are getting caught up in semantics. look at the big picture of the cone. oh wait... this is the internet... sh*t.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »