Home

Two gameplay issues that I wanted to discuss

This is a discussion on Two gameplay issues that I wanted to discuss within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9
Two gameplay issues that I wanted to discuss

Sorry if we're not supposed to make these kinds of threads, but Ian said that he isn't taking PMs, so I just wanted to make sure that the team was aware of these two issues.

Ian, have you guys addressed the "auto-switch" logic that would kick in for man to man coverage. Basically if the offense ran routes that crossed each other, then the defensive players guarding those receivers would auto-switch and start guarding the other guy's man. It actually caused serious problems on defense, and resulted in it being really easy to get guys open on crossing routes.

Secondly, have you addressed safety play in cover 2 zones? On '09, the safeties drop way too wide, and never really react properly to threats in their zones. In most cover 2 zones, the safeties are supposed to stay on top of the inside threat, and rely on their speed to be able to cover ground and make the play if the QB tries to throw to the sideline. They should play closer to the hash marks, rather than all the way out at the numbers. Also, if there's only one vertical threat to a side, then the safety on that side should essentially position himself to take that route away.

Also, Cover 2 corners should essentially play the way that they do if you put them in purple zones, by default. They should still cover the flats and come up to make a tackle if the ball is thrown there, but they should also sink back more against vertical threats down the sideline.

Cover 2 is a pretty basic part of football, and the fact that it's not executed properly on Madden/NCAA '09 is a big reason (in addition to the defensive pass rush and man coverage issues) why the passing game is so problematic.

If you need me to explain what I'm talking about with these issues, let me know and I can throw to together a video.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Two gameplay issues that I wanted to discuss

Good points I've noticed these issues too. Your videos are great man, always informative.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

I know just the guy to answer these questions, LBzrule.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

Any feedback on this?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »