Home

twitter hints at improved blocking!

This is a discussion on twitter hints at improved blocking! within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
ESBC Roster - The Best We've Ever Seen in a Boxing Game?
PES 2021 Team Spirit Guide - Understand Chemistry on a New Level
MLB The Show 21 Diamond Dynasty Budget Beasts
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 52
Re: twitter hints at improved blocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydufflebags
Ian, out of curiosity, why do you guys test in Pro Mode? IMO, The difficulty of running on all-pro in Madden 09 was acceptable to an extent (minus the horrific run blocking logic). On all madden it got alot harder, and took me many months to get together a decent run game, and I also had to throw out alot of runs from the playbook because of loss of yardage potential.

If you took game as is, and played that same game, on all madden, what would the stats be then? If all-madden is the target SIM experience, should you be looking for SIM stats on All-madden, and not pro mode? I mean honestly, nobody but elementary students even use that mode.
We typically tune "SIM" to All-Pro, and any time we play competitively here we always play on All-Pro. But I was playing the art director today with more of a focus on presentation and cameras and other stuff, so we went for the more casual experience. I'd like to try again on All-Pro and see what kind of experience we have.

Quote:
Ian, can you share how this is being addressed?
It's definitely still in progress, but I can say a few things about why the running game got much more effective as well...

1. [Minor] The game speed makes running inherently a bit easier. You have more vision to hit your holes.

2. [Minor] The changes to turn rates apply to both defense and offense, but user controlled defenders (i.e. Mike) aren't necessarily used to them so they have the tendency to overpursue plays since they're used to being able to always hold sprint and still make a play.

3. [Major] We DRASTICALLY reduced the tolerance (i.e. yards away) for a defender to tackle a ballcarrier. Last year it was upwards of 3 yards, which gives that feeling of 'suction'. This year it's closer to one yard, but it also scales based on the tackle rating of the player...meaning that it will just feel harder to get by the Urlacher's and R. Lewis's.

4. [Major] we also changed pretty much how all of our blocking works, and added all kinds of new animations and technologies (some announced, some not).

So all of these things immediately tip the scale to the offense so we have to tune accordingly.

To re-balance the first few (especially the lower tackle tolerance yardage) we really just need to keep tuning pursuit. If a player could "tackle" you from 3 yards away last year, that hides a lot of pursuit issues that come out when he can't tackle you unless he's within arm's reach. This is still ongoing, and I think you saw it in rough shape at community day. LB's would crash right into the middle and then get hung up and not be able to get back outside. Which leads to the second one...

We have to re-work how our players 'disengage'. We're working on giving them the full ability to tackle while still engaged, which helps a lot, but is also a tough balance because you have to do some pretty complex checks to see if he's "free enough" to tackle a guy, or else the suction problem comes back. The other main thing is just with animation and logic - guys need to be able to shed free of a guy in the opposite direction, and do it FAST. This will not only help outside runs but QB scrambling shenanigans.

Both are high on the list...being tuned as we speak.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #66
Pro

OVR: 9

Sounds great Ian. It seems like band aids are being thrown out the window. Sounds like you're fixing the "issue" the proper way rather than making more unrealistic tackles, for example. Or the old 'super LB jump' band aid when old devs probably thought interceptions were too low. I was afraid your "tuning" comment referred to something like that. Obviously that's not the case.

I can't freakin wait for August.

Edit: I also think there's a lot of validity in your statement that your opponent may not have adjusted to the new style of tackling and that's why he gave up so many yards. I HOPE you do more testing with someone who has had more experience with the new "system" before you go tuning it too much. Obviously I haven't played the game but it appears there are other issues that still SHOULD be addressed (LBs in zone coverage not stopping the run and runs to the outside seem being too effective seem to be something the "Elite 8" have addressed a few times)...I just hope overall the running game isn't scaled back unrealistically outside of that.

Last edited by NYyankz225; 04-20-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #67
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
We typically tune "SIM" to All-Pro, and any time we play competitively here we always play on All-Pro. But I was playing the art director today with more of a focus on presentation and cameras and other stuff, so we went for the more casual experience. I'd like to try again on All-Pro and see what kind of experience we have.
Naturally you mean multiple camera angles correct?

Thanks for the info though, some interesting stuff. So are you saying that players with a high TAK rating could grab you from further out than someone who is not as good? Would that look kinda cheesy or do you have different animations to make it look.. natural?
Old 04-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:

4. [Major] we also changed pretty much how all of our blocking works, and added all kinds of new animations and technologies (some announced, some not).

So all of these things immediately tip the scale to the offense so we have to tune accordingly.

Andy got pretty excited with #4 until he read the bold.. If a lineman is taking up multiple blockers, that should free up a linebacker, which wouldn't help the offense..

gonna drop it, and just hope for the best... after reading everything you guys have done so far, Andy has faith this will be a entertaining game
Old 04-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #69
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
This year it's closer to one yard, but it also scales based on the tackle rating of the player...meaning that it will just feel harder to get by the Urlacher's and R. Lewis's.

btw, this sounds freakin awesome..

and this will apply to premade rookies if the tackle rating is where it needs to be as well?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #70
OFFLINE USER deal with it

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
cool...so are you going for TV style presentation?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #71
The Trickster-6/9/21

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:

We have to re-work how our players 'disengage'. We're working on giving them the full ability to tackle while still engaged, which helps a lot, but is also a tough balance because you have to do some pretty complex checks to see if he's "free enough" to tackle a guy, or else the suction problem comes back. The other main thing is just with animation and logic - guys need to be able to shed free of a guy in the opposite direction, and do it FAST. This will not only help outside runs but QB scrambling shenanigans.

Both are high on the list...being tuned as we speak.
Getting this right is one of the 5 most important fixes in the game IMO.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #72
MVP

OVR: 39

All good stuff.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »