Home

What is YOUR definition of "Sim" Football?

This is a discussion on What is YOUR definition of "Sim" Football? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #41
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: What is YOUR definition of "Sim" Football?

Posted this in the NBA2K forum....

Quote:
Re: What is Simulation to you?
Theoretically, the only way you could get a complete sim is if you pressed a button and the CPU ran by itself, based on completely on percentages and logarithms without user input messing with any of that.

This talk about what's sim is silly. It's a video game, it's made for entertainment. Now I like my entertaining game realistic, challenging, and with lots of user input. I also want emotional attachment to my video games. So as bad as NCAA Football 09 was, I played 11 seasons of it because I had emotional attachment to it.

So in closing, if you want a complete sim, than a text based game is for you. It's 100x's more sim than a console game could ever be.
Madden's problem is that they've been ignoring basic, fundamental football concepts for the past 15 years. Despite this, I stopped caring about what is sim along time ago. A complete and total NFL sim is unplayable to 90% of the people on this forum.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #42
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Posted this in the NBA2K forum....

Madden's problem is that they've been ignoring basic, fundamental football concepts for the past 15 years. Despite this, I stopped caring about what is sim along time ago. A complete and total NFL sim is unplayable to 90% of the people on this forum.
That is the ever-loving truth. But alas, the truth is not sim.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #43
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20

sim is when a video game mirrors a real life scenario to the highest fidelity; where the same natural laws, abilities, random occurrences, rules and probability of outcomes are the same or closest to the same in both environments.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmulk
This is the only other answer that gets it right. It isn't any one thing. It isn't a QB rolling out. It isn't having to punt on 4th down. Its all of this and everything in between. Its managing an NFL team, from the top down to the smallest detail. Its making the decisions an NFL owner, a Head Coach, a star RB and a first round draft pick would make. Its knowing that if you run the same 5 plays, you wouldn't last 3 weeks in the NFL. At the same time, its knowing if you didn't go with what works, you'll be hammered on all week long. Its about being more than just a game.

It's about being so in-depth, and so fun, that you bring in fans who might never have known the game if not for Madden. Its about being so precise that a junkie could spend 15 hours in a day drafting, training, signing, and managing players, and never spend a minute on the field.

Its about 3rd and 6th. The opponents been blitzing his LeftLB all day. Shifting your formation so the 2TE's cover the left, your star WR lined up tight on a cross, and you know you can roll out and hit him in stride for the first down because that's how the game is played. If you get single coverage, throw a lob to that big target.. If the are pressing, calling play action. Strategy. And hell, if rolling out and chucking it up to that 6'5 WR works, then keep doing it. But I should be able to counter act that. My men should see it coming, they are professional athletes, after all.

Sim means Simulation. And it should be on the designers of the game to make the player play as close to this as possible. Can you take a 747 for a nose dive and do a flip at the last second? Or would the plane crash and burn?
Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner
Old 04-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #45
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Sim football to me is, as a franchise player....

The game plays to the ratings. And adheres to whats humanly possible. The laws of basic football play applies. It isn't about disappearing icons. Just as one example... if like a moron I drop back 15+ yards with my QB...I either get sacked, picked, or little to no gain from such a foolish move.

In short I'd say, sim football to me is...if I play like an idiot, I'm sure to lose. If I play smart, and within the bounds of reason, I have a chance to win.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #46
Banned

OVR: 3

For starters, the gameplay has to look sim, which means physics-based.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #47
MVP

OVR: 24

"Sim" is not about me. Sim is all about the CPU A.I., making realistic decisions (including penalties), and combining that with realistic athleticism.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Diesel
sim is when a video game mirrors a real life scenario to the highest fidelity; where the same natural laws, abilities, random occurrences, rules and probability of outcomes are the same or closest to the same in both environments.

Damn, I shoulda said this. Aaaahhh, this is what I meant. Yeah, that's it. This.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »