Home

Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

This is a discussion on Forced 3 step drop? What is this? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #113
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit
An exploit? Throwing to an open receiver when he's open? If the defense isn't going to defend a receiver at the LOS, why can't I throw a good pass to him?

I just don't understand why people think WRs go trotting around the field not looking for the ball when they're wide open. I can understand how a WR who's covered shouldn't turn and make a catch on a ball just before his out cut. But if he's running off the line of scrimmage and there's no one within 5-10 yards of him, do you honestly think he's not gonna look back at the QB in case the QB, like the WR, has noticed how wide open the throw is?
No one said anything about an open target, at least that wasn't my understanding. And in my example, I didn't mention that receiver was wide open . But thanks for your contribution to the discussion .
Old 04-20-2009, 08:00 PM   #114
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
No one said anything about an open target, at least that wasn't my understanding. And in my example, I didn't mention that receiver was wide open . But thanks for your contribution to the discussion .
Why else would you make a quick throw to a receiver before the receiver finished his designated route?

Seems like we got mixed up there somewhere.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #115
MVP

OVR: 41

Capnkill don't take this the wrong way but.....

Do you want Madden 10 or Madden 09?

You don't want Adaptive A.I. and you don't want QB drop backs LOL. Is there anything in Madden 10 that is SIM that you like?

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #116
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit
Why else would you make a quick throw to a receiver before the receiver finished his designated route?

Seems like we got mixed up there somewhere.
Defensive pressure

Last I heard, this was actively being tweaked. So I'm not sure what the new breaking point will be but to the dismay of some of you, I hope some form of forced drop-back is maintained. Truthfully, and LBz can co-sign, for much of the time with the game I couldn't even tell there was a forced dropback in place. But my style of gameplay predicates that. Needless to say, we agree to disagree. No prob .
Old 04-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #117
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLHITMAN
Capnkill don't take this the wrong way but.....

Do you want Madden 10 or Madden 09?

You don't want Adaptive A.I. and you don't want QB drop backs LOL. Is there anything in Madden 10 that is SIM that you like?
Heh, I can tell you that I most definitely do NOT want Madden 09 I sold that thing about 1 month after I got it... that was the first Madden I ever sold (my first NG madden).

I hope I'm not coming across like Mr. Negative when it comes to M10 because that's not the case at all.

Adaptive AI is a FANTASTIC feature for the Off-line game, and it might actually get me playing against the CPU from time to time if it is implemented correctly. I just don't agree with it being added to the on-line world. So I like Adaptive AI, just not for on-line.

I'm all for QB drop backs, I think it will be a great addition to Madden, but I don't like the fact that I can't perform a snap and throw like you see in the NFL. That obviously sounds cheesy, but its not. If I see that the DB is playing my WR in loose coverage I should be able to hot route the WR on a screen route, then snap turn and throw without having to drop back at all. That happens on Sundays, I don't think I'm out of line in expecting it to be available in the game as well.

I think I have valid gripes, or concerns about these things, and as I've said before I HOPE I'm over-exaggerating on all accounts and that all my concerns will turn out to be unfounded when the game drops.

I like almost everything I've heard about M10 so far. The momentum issue where in 09 everyone turns on a dime will be fixed, which should make the game feel more like the PS2 game, which is always a good thing in my book.

More QB stats are another great thing if done right. Differentiating between average QBs and very good QBs was clearly a huge problem in Madden 09 and I hope this will go a long way into fixing that.

DB/WR interaction should add a whole new level to the passing game, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

The QB pocket, being an actuall... dare I say it... pocket, should also make the game a thousand times better.

For the most part all of the changes I'm seeing are taking Madden into a direction that has actually got me excited about the game again. I was basically done with the serries after 09 (ok I checked out 08 NG for like 30 minutes once, but that thing was pure garbage.)

The only things I've been really vocal about are AAI on-line, camera angles (which are a real deal breaker for me unfortunately) and on-line franchise.

This 3 step drop thing is just something I read about today, and another thing that has me concerned.

But like I said, for the most part, everything is looking great, I guess I don't usually start a thread saying that something is great, since that seems kinda redundant.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #118
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Defensive pressure

Last I heard, this was actively being tweaked. So I'm not sure what the new breaking point will be but to the dismay of some of you, I hope some form of forced drop-back is maintained. Truthfully, and LBz can co-sign, for much of the time with the game I couldn't even tell there was a forced dropback in place. But my style of gameplay predicates that. Needless to say, we agree to disagree. No prob .
See, I figure 98% of the time, I won't notice either. It's that 2% of the time, when I want to fire a quick pass to an open slot receiver or want to hit the wideout right away when I see the CB blitzing, those are the times I'd probably be affected by this. And that's my hangup.

I just think this whole forced drop is a very inelegant solution to a problem. I think there's better solutions for encouraging drops, like giving an accuracy boost to a pass to the primary receiver at the end of the drop. All things equal, I'd rather be rewarded for doing something rather than punished for not doing something.

But yeah, we can agree to disagree. I just hope EA is still looking hard at this, because taking control away from a player is something that should be done only when there is no other option, and I just can't imagine there being no other options.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #119
Rookie

OVR: 3

I can't believe anyone would be opposed to a forced drop back. At least not anyone that remotely claims to be interested in sim style football. I don't know how many of you do or have played football (highschool player currently myself), but I can say from everything I've ever experienced on the field or seen at higher levels, sacks simply would not occur if quarterbacks could launch the ball with perfect accuracy to an open receiver as soon as they felt pressure from the blitz, regardless of the stage in their progression.

In Madden, you can see the open receiver, almost always. In real life, you simply cannot, especially not close to the line of scrimmage, especially not with a 6'5 defensive linemen in your face. Maybe you can do it in your backyard. But you're playing by yourself without any real life game implications.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #120
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseetitans
I can't believe anyone would be opposed to a forced drop back. At least not anyone that remotely claims to be interested in sim style football. I don't know how many of you do or have played football (highschool player currently myself), but I can say from everything I've ever experienced on the field or seen at higher levels, sacks simply would not occur if quarterbacks could launch the ball with perfect accuracy to an open receiver as soon as they felt pressure from the blitz, regardless of the stage in their progression.

In Madden, you can see the open receiver, almost always. In real life, you simply cannot, especially not close to the line of scrimmage, especially not with a 6'5 defensive linemen in your face. Maybe you can do it in your backyard. But you're playing by yourself without any real life game implications.
Broken Record here, but have you not seen plays in the real NFL where the QB snaps, turns and throws to a WR that has the DB playing too loose? That play has NO drop back what so ever...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »