Home

Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

This is a discussion on Forced 3 step drop? What is this? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #161
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Has anyone played any of the 2K sports games with the drop-back being "forced?" People are making this sound as if it's unprecedented and EA is making a game-killing mistake.... We've seen this before and it worked fine.

Yeah, I have. and I hate it. I absolutely hate it...Oh, it drives me nuts. See, I played some QB...so I play the video games the same way I would in real life... but the games won't let me in some instances...and it drives me crazy!

I can't stand it when I can't do what I want to do. All I'm trying to do is play the game the way its suppossed tp be played. The way I was coached to play it...the way my talent allowed me to play it...and the way my shortcomings dictated I played it.

I know how to play QB one way...thats it. And if you play me a few times you'll learn vary quickly what to expect for me, and what you'll need to watch out for. You'll quickly learn my style of play...but you'll have the damndest time tryig to stop it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #162
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Has anyone played any of the 2K sports games with the drop-back being "forced?" People are making this sound as if it's unprecedented and EA is making a game-killing mistake.... We've seen this before and it worked fine.
That's the same thing I'm thinking. I don't see the big deal. It's 2-3 seconds you're not in control. 2k's games it worked great and made the game very realistic. I'm glad EA is finally copying it.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain

Last edited by SageInfinite; 04-21-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #163
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
I don't really see a problem with forcing drop-backs, to a point. There are very few instances where a QB knows exactly who he's throwing to before the snap...that's what makes dropbacks key...they go through progressions, see what the defense is giving them, and then they throw. Letting you out of a dropback so you can run around in the pocket for the sake of running around is not realistic football....

With that said, there are plays where shorter drops are required (ie Delhomme throwing a WR screen to Smith when a CB is playing off), and a previous poster's idea of having designated drops for those types of plays seems like a good idea to me. It addresses the problem most of you have (ie jump balls in the endzone) with a forced dropback. Ian already said you can throw in the face of pressure, but with an accuracy penalty...this is realistic as many times QBs throw it away when facing a blitz that isn't picked up.

As for nano-blitzes, the blocking seems to be drastically improved this year, so hopefully that doesn't make it into the game.

The part I put in bold is incorrect. I can tell you exactly who will be open based on what I see pre-snap, this is why EA needs to made it easier to hide what coverage a defense is in.

...I know a lot based on pre-snap looks, and I can still pick you apart after the snap based on what your LBrs and safties do during my drop back...

Look, let me make this clear...

It is vital, absolutely vital to the integrity of this game to not force QB drops. It will lead to a defensive advantage. If a guy is running wide open half way into his route (in between the zones), and I can't throw him the ball because I stuck in some friggin forced drop...I'm gonna get highly ****ing pissed ok?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #164
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
That's the same thing I'm thinking. I don't see the big deal. It's 2-3 seconds you're not in control. 2k's games it worked great and made the game very realistic. I'm glad EA is finally copying it.
People don't see it for the realism it brings to the game, not to mention how the auto-dropbacks present the game better (it looks and plays more real). It's only viewed as a method to curb cheese by some of the good folks 'round these parts.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #165
Banned

Btw, just as a side note...

I never play with coach mode on in APF 2K8...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #166
Pro

OVR: 9

I don't understand the debate over this. 99% of the time a QB will complete his drop and then throw. Some of you bring up a good point regarding quick screens...but Guillotine and people who have similar issues... I still don't understand why you're so heated about this. I'm not questioning your play style but part of SIM football is the drop back and timing of your routes. If you're throwing the ball before your drop back there's obviously a problem with Madden for even allowing that...because it doesn't happen in the NFL ever. NO QB will throw the ball while he's dropping back EVEN if the defense is about to sack him. At that point you probably take the sack anywaybecause there's no realistic way you can set your feet for even a decent throw while in the process of dropping back.

But still, Ian has already said that you WILL be able to break it off if necessary (at a cost of course), so what's the big deal? Again, 99.5% of the time the QB will complete the intended drop back...that's a fact. So this will benefit us the huge majority of the time. For those rare cases that it doesn't like quick WR screens...I agree there needs to be some solution for that.

Last edited by NYyankz225; 04-21-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #167
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17

In the portion you bolded Guillotine, I was referring to real-life, not Madden...I agree with you that the coverages are easy to read in the game....

However, I disagree with you about the forced dropback spelling the destruction of passing to open receivers....let's take a look at this in a non-confrontational, don't-mean-to-piss-you-off kinda way.

A three-step drop takes, what, one or one-and-a-half seconds? Your WR is just getting off the line, and likely getting jammed at the LOS at that time. This of course is assuming that they haven't slowed down the dropback too much. So forcing a dropback (not meaning that you can't throw the ball before you set your feet) will not translate to missed opportunity after missed opportunity. Slant routes are run on three step drops...they are incredibly quick plays.

I'm not trying to say that forcing dropbacks are the only way to simulate realistic football, but I'm sure that people would be back here talking crap after Madden drops if they didn't do anything about the "run n chuck" that we're all so happy to point out every damn thread...this is how they are trying to work on it...I don't think it will break the game...letting everyone run around for 13 seconds while the coverage breaks down however DOES break the game. So I say kudos to the devs for at least trying to propose a solution to the problems we ALWAYS bring up, until they try to fix it..then we get up in arms because we don't like how they are trying to do so.

So, let me make this clear to YOU....

If I am playing online, and someone hikes, runs around without dropping back and throws a crisp 40 yd laser without setting his feet...I'll be ******* pissed too...
Old 04-21-2009, 12:02 PM   #168
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I'm not confirming anything.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »