Home

Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

This is a discussion on Forced 3 step drop? What is this? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #177
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit
But isn't the answer to this making DEs able to shed blocks to contain better? Putting in severely penalties to accuracy and power when throwing the ball on the run?

I see the problems. But I don't see why a forced drop is the best solution. Aren't the best solutions the reasons that real-life QBs don't do this stuff? Because of what happens in real-life when scrambling outside of a pocket and because of how hard it is to pass well when on the move? Shouldn't we want EA to fix that instead of applying an odd bandage like a froced drop? Again, it's like treating a broken arm with painkillers. We're not making the problem go away, we're just making it less noticeable.
The stuff in your first paragraph is already being taken care of outside of the forced dropback. The forced dropback is not their to solely fix those issues; it's there for realism.

You're looking at the dropback as the solution and it is not being used solely for that purpose. DE sheding blocks and accuracy hits for certain passes is getting fixed regardless; doesn't mean you do-away with the forced dropback.

I hate to imagine how ugly the dropbacks would be if users were responsible for doing them on their own.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #178
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
Just don't look at this as a game breaker...give it a chance...if you don't like it, THEN complain. Don't say "This is going to ruin the game" before you play it.
But if I complain now, maybe I can influence what EA does.

And no, I don't think it'll ruin the game. Like I said earlier, I probably won't notice it 98% of the time. It's that other 2%, examples of which I've mentioned numerous times, it's that 2% I don't want to miss out on just because of some cheesers or because EA needs to do this because other parts of their game don't work like they should.

I've listed other suggestions I think work better, like automatic, but not forced, drops that provide an accuracy boost on throws to the primary receiver. Couple that with better block shedding on the D-line (not so much to get through blocks, but to get off of blocks), and big hits to QB accuracy and power on running throws (especially now with the new QB stats, they could just slaughter the deep accuracy stat when on the run, maim the medium accuracy stat, and just slightly affect the short accuracy stat). The combination of that stuff seems like a much more realistic fix with the added benefit of never taking control away from a person playing the video game.

But yeah, it's not a game-breaker, it's just something I don't really want to see in the game. Others have different opinions, even potentially EA, that's cool. It's sort of a half-full/half-empty sort of discussion.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #179
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Or I wouldnt mind seeing forced drop backs with a release button! That will allow you to take control of the QB. Im not a big fan of the game forcing you but there are a few times where it might kill the game if they dont. This might be one.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #180
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
The stuff in your first paragraph is already being taken care of outside of the forced dropback. The forced dropback is not their to solely fix those issues; it's there for realism.

You're looking at the dropback as the solution and it is not being used solely for that purpose. DE sheding blocks and accuracy hits for certain passes is getting fixed regardless; doesn't mean you do-away with the forced dropback.

I hate to imagine how ugly the dropbacks would be if users were responsible for doing them on their own.
But why not have automatic, but not forced, drops then? That seems to fit perfectly with what you're talking about. Still get the realism of the dropback, but we'd also get the realism of being able to get out of our dropback whenever we need to should the situation require, just like a real QB. Win/win.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #181
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36

Exactly. I don't know man. I thought the only people that would have a problem with this are the run and chuckers.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #182
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Exactly. I don't know man. I thought the only people that would have a problem with this are the run and chuckers.
I agree 90% but if a DT just kills your C or G(like it should happen from time to time) there should be a release button that allow you to break out of the drop back to get away from the up front pressure.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #183
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I think you're treating this as too black and white. The choice doesn't have to be between forced drops and no drops.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #184
Rookie

OVR: 9

Guillotine confirmed more or less what I thought,

people want to throw the ball to a WR at any point in time, regardless of if the ball is supposed to be thrown at that time. IE, throwing the pass after the WR takes one step regardless of pattern.

This has two major issues.
1) It's not realistic. You don't see it on Sunday (or Saturday).
2) It breaks the defense.

Part of the reason you don't see this on a Sunday is that it's pretty easy for the defense to defend. If you know a QB will get rid of it super quick, the defense adjusts. DL get their hands up, corners get more aggressive (or they switch to press).

You don't get to watch Film and explain that too your players in Madden. You don't get to adjust the zones to take away tendencies and you can't tell your DL to get their hands up faster.

There are other factors as well. Previously, ball velocity was much to fast (and trajectory a big low). Players react to quickly and have too much agility. QBs are too accurate.

In reality, if your WR is expecting a pass "At any point" he can't take his eyes off the QB. If you're watching the QB you can't run as good of a patern as your should and you can't run full speed. Again, Madden can't reflect this.

Since a modern passing attack is based around timing (In the NFL) then you would have to greatly sacrafice QB accuracy as well. They would not get to throw to a spot, they woudl be throwing to a man. Miscommunication that reflects from that would need to be added.

Would you be alright with your WR's only running at about 85% speed? Would you be alright routinely missing your WR's because they aren't in sync?

Regardless to the fact taht you will likely say, yes that is fine, that still doesn't change the fact that the defense can't adjust to that strategy. Do I wish it could? Absolutely. Unfortunately, reality continues to ruin my existance.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »