Home

Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

This is a discussion on Forced 3 step drop? What is this? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #193
Bully Ball is Back

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

I'm not sure I like the idea either. A forced drop back seems like a cop out for poor line play to me. What should happen is that the drop back is an automatic animation (like it always has been) but it can be broken out of. A pocket should still form around the quarterback. If he wants to run as soon as he takes the snap, he should end up in defensive lineman's rushing lanes. The defense should automatically adjust to a quarterback once he breaks down in the pocket. If he starts running, lineman should be more susceptible to let go of their blocks (they can't see behind them) and D-Linemen should be likely to chase them down. If the drop back is automatic and you hold turbo to scramble, you should have to plant your foot first and make a cut to move from that stance. That should slow you down for a hair and leave you vulnerable. If you wanna run around the edge, you should get caught by the Defensive ends. You should have to pick your run lanes, not outrun all the linemen to the corner. Hopefully the new rating system helps this.

Conway the Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Old 04-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #194
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17

I agree with you Ruff Ryder, regarding how the defense should react, and such...but even with the OL/DL interaction changes that Ian and co have implemented (per blogs and community day info) there was still talks of it being too easy to get to the corner and turn upfield...if you are using a QB like Vince Young, or DJ Shockley, or even *gasp* the Wildcat, not having a QB drop back at all (unless a play is designed for minimal dropback) seems like it will make it easy for fast QBs to turn the corner. Again, this all hinges on how EA handles the OL/DL interaction and tuning how easy it is to turn that corner...but I have beaten a dead horse in this thread saying how I like having to dropback. Especially since it is confirmed you can move away from pressure, you can throw under pressure, they are moving up the point at which you can branch out of the dropback...I don't think it will be as bad as people are thinking, where you HAVE to drop back 7 steps EVERY play or else doom will befall you.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:29 PM   #195
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
Who is acting all great? You seem very frustrated that everyone doesn't share your viewpoint. I don't see EA holding hands...and I don't see why you are getting your undergarments in a bunch over a dropback that has been confirmed you can break out of to get away from pressure, you can throw out of, etc...I prefer to have a more realistic game where QBs will drop back, set and throw...if this achieves that, I'm all for it...now, as to "If I don't know X, I'm SOL"...maybe a playcall screen could show the dropback of the QB...a yellow arrow for the QB on playart could mean 1 step for a screen...an orange arrow for a 3, red for a 5, purple for a 7, etc...Hardcore football people aren't the only ones who play this game you know...EA could help them out, without "holding their hand".

You read my comment and thought I was speaking to members of the OS community, or people who have posted in this thread. You misunderstood. That was directed at the glitcher, cheeser, type player that the force drop is being implemented to counter.

I have no problem with anyone who differs from my opinion on this topic, but I do take issue with the Madden Nation type players who think they are great Madden players...but all they do is exploit...thats who that comment was directed towards.

I think you came in on the tale end of the conversation, and got the wrong idea about what exactly it is I'm saying here.

I'm saying...give me control of my QB...and let the guys who want the force drop...have it. It should be optional...I have said this now at least twice in this thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 01:29 PM   #196
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

You will never see a QB just get the snap and throw at a WR unless its a called play ,an audible ,some kind of miscommunication ,or he just throwing it away to avoid the rush.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #197
MVP

OVR: 16

All right, I think I'm gonna bail on the discussion. I'm pretty sure I've said everything I could say at this point, and anything more from me would just be me repeating myself more than I already have. Thanks for the discussion everyone.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #198
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by red butler
I have to believe even those quick plays have at least a 1 step drop. Isn't the center's first step backward? If the QB doesn't clear the center, their feet get tangled up, even on quick passes. It may seem like an instantaneous throw because it's part of the same motion, but I've got to believe the QB's first move is to take a step back with their plant foot. I may be wrong but I would have to see it done to convince me.
Sure, there's probably 1 step there... I mean yes, the center could step on your foot if you don't take a quick little step, but even that would be impossible with a forced 3 step drop back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito78
Ian and company should make a specific play(where the QB doesn't have take a 3 step drop) for situations such as the one you've just mentioned. Then, the we can audible to that play if we see the CB is playing off.

On Sundays that usually happens when the QB notices that the corner is playing off, and he can quickly get it to the WR for a quick 5 yard or so. Often, that's not even the play that's called. The QB and WR are on the same page, and the QB quickly throws him the ball .
Well audibling to that play won't work very well cause then you have to have that play in every formation in the book, which seems a bit clumsy.

I should just be able to hot route the WR on a screen and when teh game sees taht a WR is running a screen route they should let you out of the drop back. Naturaly people could then run 5 WR sets, put one WR on a screen and avoid the whole drop back thing alltogether, which is not good either.

I just want a way to punish a DB that is playing lose coverage... that is all.... seems like it would be a defensive advantage if you can't keep a DB honest like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
You will never see a QB just get the snap and throw at a WR unless its a called play ,an audible ,some kind of miscommunication ,or he just throwing it away to avoid the rush.
Not true, watch Pats games... Brady does this a lot with W. Welker... even on non designed screen plays.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #199
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
You read my comment and thought I was speaking to members of the OS community, or people who have posted in this thread. You misunderstood. That was directed at the glitcher, cheeser, type player that the force drop is being implemented to counter.

I have no problem with anyone who differs from my opinion on this topic, but I do take issue with the Madden Nation type players who think they are great Madden players...but all they do is exploit...thats who that comment was directed towards.

I think you came in on the tale end of the conversation, and got the wrong idea about what exactly it is I'm saying here.

I'm saying...give me control of my QB...and let the guys who want the force drop...have it. It should be optional...I have said this now at least twice in this thread.
Hehe...Whoops. My bad. I agree though. Madden Nation has never appealed to me...I wouldn't disagree with an option to turn it on/off...but I think that it should definitely be something that can be set for online games...that way those who wish to exploit can turn it off for games with others who want it off, while those who want it on can leave it on and have great games against like-minded individuals.

Again, sorry if previous posts came off as confrontational...Its hard to get a read on tone on the 'net.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #200
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
Not true, watch Pats games... Brady does this a lot with W. Welker... even on non designed screen plays.
That's is a check with me route which is an fancy audible!

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »