Home

Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

This is a discussion on Forced 3 step drop? What is this? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #209
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

IRL there are the play call and or routes dictate up how long a QB drops back or how quickly he releases the ball how ever IRL a QB can audible to a play like a quick slants or fades etc that require no drop back.... conversely if you audible to a screen or some sort quick come back becuase of coverage than there is no drop back in previous versions of Madden there where plays that where 3 teps drops and 5 step drops by design only issue is you would rarely see them unless the user allowed the QB to drop back on its own... So I appreciate the team A) working on pocket formation and DE prusuit and B) forcing players to drop back normally as the play is designed
Old 04-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #210
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
I snap it, I do the drop, I read the D, and I throw it...

The drop back has never been something the user had to practice, be aware of, or ever care about...people would always let the CPU do that for them. I'm saying the drop is apart of the QB's skill set, its a unique talent.

We should have a drop back rating. Its one of the single most important things a QB can learn to do...but its on auto-pilot in Madden as we (the users) get a free pass...and are not held to accountability for this all too important aspect of gameplay.
You're right...the dropback has never been something you had to care about or be aware of. With a forced dropback, now you do . All jokes aside, I think this thing is being blown out of proportion. If the forced dropback is only 1-3 steps, you won't be able to tell it's there. Like Bandit, it's time I drop out of this discussion.

One thing I'd like to say is that you're overstating the dropback as far as it being a unique talent. Outside of draft time (now) and rating rookie QB's, you never hear/read anything about the preciseness of a dropback lol. You never hear analysis saying, "Man, Tom Brady has an awesome dropback! That's pure talent!" Nor do you hear, "He has the arm and the intangibles. If he could just drop back better, he'd be a first round pick." We may hear things pertaining to footwork to an extent, but I wouldn't say that dropping back is some talent that only a chosen few quarterbacks have. Obviously, it's something that has to be learned for some raw QB's, but I wouldn't emphasize it as some exclusive talent.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #211
Rookie

OVR: 9

If you want to change the drop, protection and pattern at the line you can....thats what an audible is.

As for breaking off your drop....how? Since you played QB you know the footwork on a 3 step drop is different then on a 5 step drop. Stride length is different and in theory, ball positioning is different. For the OL the pass protection is aggressive to engage the DL and keep their hands down.

If you want to change from a 5 step to a 3 step, audible. Is that hard?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 02:18 PM   #212
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
You're right...the dropback has never been something you had to care about or be aware of. With a forced dropback, now you do . All jokes aside, I think this thing is being blown out of proportion. If the forced dropback is only 1-3 steps, you won't be able to tell it's there. Like Bandit, it's time I drop out of this discussion.

One thing I'd like to say is that you're overstating the dropback as far as it being a unique talent. Outside of draft time (now) and rating rookie QB's, you never hear/read anything about the preciseness of a dropback lol. You never hear analysis saying, "Man, Tom Brady has an awesome dropback! That's pure talent!" Nor do you hear, "He has the arm and the intangibles. If he could just drop back better, he'd be a first round pick." We may hear things pertaining to footwork to an extent, but I wouldn't say that dropping back is some talent that only a chosen few quarterbacks have. Obviously, it's something that has to be learned for some raw QB's, but I wouldn't emphasize it as some exclusive talent.
I wouldn't say its a talent thing but more of a mechanics thing. There is no doubt in my mind that some QBs have better footwork and thus a better drop back than others. And you hear all the time that college QBs need to work on their drop backs... I would love to see that expressed in ratings.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #213
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Here's how I feel it should be done.

First off, the standard type of dropback is not something you can simply "stop" doing, nor can you do wit without proper technique. When you start a 5-step drop, you're either finishing it, or bailing awkwardly. If a player wishes to take a controlled drop from center, he should be able to do so by holding down as the ball is snapped and taking control immediately- but this should not be a standard crossover dropback, it should be a back peddle (think old school Warren Moon). This allows the player the control to drop back to the point he wishes and break it off at any point, but the drop is significantly slower and requires to the player to set and shift footing to throwing.

To reiterate, my idea... if you simply let the CPU control your drop, you'll do the standard drop, if you take control during the drop, it'll be awkward and you'll be off balanced (not to mention your blockers wont be protecting where you are)... if you take control, you'll do a controlled back peddle that's slower and requires a setup

Furthermore... WRs do not watch the QB the whole way, and they are taught to run their routes. They don't break them off because they think it's a good idea. If they do, they're out of the league in a couple of years. WRs should complete their routes as assigned unless the user tells them otherwise. Maybe a "watch for it" call that would slow the route but allow the WR to see the ball... but the WR should not even go for a ball on a part of the route he's not expecting, unless he has an assigned adjustment for that situation. If he's an extremely high awareness receiver, maybe he'll pick up on what the QB is going to do, but not otherwise.

In other words- do what ever you want, at your own risk. Less restriction, but more realistic consequence.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #214
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36

lol...

Yeah, I'd definately disagree with that. Most guys get rated lower for not being under center enough in college, and having to do a lot of drops. You'll hear about a guy having slow feet (Leftwhich) and needing more urgency in his drop steps. Or, being a long strider and needing to make his drop steps shorter because he's getting to much depth or distance from the pocket.

...it's just a healthy discussion...no harm...no foul...
Old 04-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #215
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
lol...

Yeah, I'd definately disagree with that. Most guys get rated lower for not being under center enough in college, and having to do a lot of drops. You'll hear about a guy having slow feet (Leftwhich) and needing more urgency in his drop steps. Or, being a long strider and needing to make his drop steps shorter because he's getting to much depth or distance from the pocket.

...it's just a healthy discussion...no harm...no foul...
Being a long-strider has to do with the throwing motion, not the dropback. Deeper equals better if it can be timed up with the breaking of routes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #216
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
Being a long-strider has to do with the throwing motion, not the dropback. Deeper equals better if it can be timed up with the breaking of routes.

...bro, I don't even know what to say to that...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »