Home

Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

This is a discussion on Forced 3 step drop? What is this? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #233
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

The only time a QB would ever throw the ball in a second after the snap is on a screen or a slant. I have no clue why a QB would ever decide to throw the ball a second after snapping if it weren't a slant or a screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOuoSuca1a0

Skip to 2:03 to see a slant. There is also another slant at 2:23.

I think people are worried they won't be able to do this in Madden 10, but the play call basically TELLS the QB throw the ball in a second, it's a designed play. If the slant is covered, then you'll see the QB scrambling or checking his second and third look for someone to dump the ball off to.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #234
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echopax
The only time a QB would ever throw the ball in a second after the snap is on a screen or a slant. I have no clue why a QB would ever decide to throw the ball a second after snapping if it weren't a slant or a screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOuoSuca1a0

Skip to 2:03 to see a slant. There is also another slant at 2:23.

I think people are worried they won't be able to do this in Madden 10, but the play call basically TELLS the QB throw the ball in a second, it's a designed play. If the slant is covered, then you'll see the QB scrambling or checking his second and third look for someone to dump the ball off to.
Also the fade to the corner of the end zone, that's usually a one step drop and lob over the top... not that it works in Madden, but hopefully it will in M10.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #235
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
Also the fade to the corner of the end zone, that's usually a one step drop and lob over the top... not that it works in Madden, but hopefully it will in M10.
True, I forgot to mention the end zone fade.

I too hope that it will be possible (and realistic) in Madden 10.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #236
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
Why are you talking about throwing mechanics? We were only talking about the drop steps. Having a long stride during the drop back has a bad impact on the drop. I'm not talking about the throw (Although, I agree if the feet are too far apart the ball will sail high, and lose velocity).

Your really confusing me with your comment about the upper body having more to do with the difference between good drops and bad ones. This is completely opposite of everything I've have ever heard.

Everything starts with the base, if you have a good base (particularly footwork, balance, and weight transfer) your most of the way home if you can be consistant...but I don't want to argue with you about Quarterbacking 101. Its more than one way to skin a cat, and I'm sure you have plenty of good reasons for saying what you said.
I know that I'm off the original topic, but I would like to keep talking about pass drops. I honestly can't think of any situation in which a quarterback steps too deep in his drop, ever. Every step should be as deep as possible except for the gather step (the last one before the plant) and of course the plant too.

As for the importance of the upper body; I'm talking about quiet arms, the placement of the ball, the direction of the front shoulder, and maybe the most overlooked, the level of the shoulders from front to back. Allowing the front shoulder to dip on the plant leads to it being thrown skyward on the hitch (if there is one) and that leads to high throws.

These are just the common faults that I've experienced and I've always been concerned with getting as much depth away from the center as possible.

Mainly I just wanted to clear up the term long-stepper. I guess it doesn't really matter what you call it, but I've only heard it and used it in describing the stride when actually throwing the ball.

I do think that we agree on the fact drops should occur the way they do in real football, whether it be 1 step, 3 step, 5 step, 7 step, half rolls, sprintouts, playactions, boots, nakeds flea-flickers or whatever.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #237
Pro

jp7588's Arena

QB drop back audibles, similar to the hot route implementation. Has anyone suggested this? Am I completely missing the point of this argument?

If my primary receiver is running a post and the play calls for a 5-step drop but the receiver on the other side of the field is running a quick slant and the corner is playing him loose it would be nice to be able to switch up the drop before the play. I think QBs make those decisions presnap anyways. 2k had a "stand & shoot" (I dunno what else to call it) animation for certain plays.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #238
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp7588
QB drop back audibles, similar to the hot route implementation. Has anyone suggested this? Am I completely missing the point of this argument?

If my primary receiver is running a post and the play calls for a 5-step drop but the receiver on the other side of the field is running a quick slant and the corner is playing him loose it would be nice to be able to switch up the drop before the play. I think QBs make those decisions presnap anyways. 2k had a "stand & shoot" (I dunno what else to call it) animation for certain plays.

I've been trying to say this all day dude...I'm blue in the face and I still don't anyone gets what I've been saying so...good luck.

But, for what its worth...I fully agree.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #239
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
I've been trying to say this all day dude...I'm blue in the face and I still don't anyone gets what I've been saying so...good luck.

But, for what its worth...I fully agree.
Someone was saying that it might be based on your primary WR which you can switch at the LOS, which I suppose would solve that problem.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #240
Pro

Quote:

Who designs a play with a slant on one side and a post on the other? That OC would be fired as that completely goes against any pass game principle. Now, that slant could happen due to a post snap blitz sight adjustment, and to me, that is the problem with the forced drop backs. But, like I said previously, ahaving a button mapped to get stop the drop solves the problem.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »