Home

Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

This is a discussion on Forced 3 step drop? What is this? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit
But if the problem is cheesers abusing the instant freedom at QB right now, with a forced drop and these options, wouldn't cheesers just audible to a 1-step drop before every play then? Or at least any play they want to cheese? Nothing would really change for them, but honest players would be left either more hassled (having to audible) or more restricted (being in a forced drop).
Here's a crazy thought... maybe the game shouldn't open up a door for cheezing just because someone wants to snap and throw. If I put a DB right in front of the WR and someone snaps and quick throws to that WR I should expect the DB to make a decent play on the ball as opposed to looking completely lost. Fix THAT, and you won't have to worry about forcing drop backs or tying our hands with other things.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 21

I kinda like the idea of a forced drop back, but there shouldn't be a Throw Accuracy penalty during this animation, only a hit to Throw Power. That way screens, fades, and quick dumps are still just fine. However, any other time a QB throws without his feet planted should greatly affect both ratings.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 04-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
But none of that relates to the QB being forced to do a drop. When he does one, it's because he's chosen to throw to none of his receivers yet. That might be because there's no quick routes, or the quick routes have been covered, etc. Regardless, it's the QB's choice.
What I mean is, unless the playcall is something that doesn't require a drop the QB will always drop. Very rarely, if ever, does a QB quick throw unless it is planned.

As it is now in Madden, you can roll out every play before the QB finishes his drop. A real QB could do this but they don't.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
Here's a crazy thought... maybe the game shouldn't open up a door for cheezing just because someone wants to snap and throw. If I put a DB right in front of the WR and someone snaps and quick throws to that WR I should expect the DB to make a decent play on the ball as opposed to looking completely lost. Fix THAT, and you won't have to worry about forcing drop backs or tying our hands with other things.
Trust me, I totally agree. This forced drop thing just seems like treating a broken arm with painkillers. Maybe you can't feel the pain anymore, but the problem is still there, you know?
Old 04-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Trust me, I totally agree. This forced drop thing just seems like treating a broken arm with painkillers. Maybe you can't feel the pain anymore, but the problem is still there, you know?
I like your analogy
Old 04-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnutt6
What I mean is, unless the playcall is something that doesn't require a drop the QB will always drop. Very rarely, if ever, does a QB quick throw unless it is planned.

As it is now in Madden, you can roll out every play before the QB finishes his drop. A real QB could do this but they don't.
Agreed. A real QB doesn't do it because it's not in their best interest. If they roll out when it's not called, they're very likely to move outside the pocket, be out there with no protection, and probably take a loss on the play.

In Madden, a QB can roll out whenever he wants. The answer isn't to force him to drop back, it's to make it as disadvantageous as it is in real life. If a QB in Madden rolls out when he's not supposed to, he should be contained and taken down since he put himself outside of where his protection was. That's what should be changed, not forcing the QB to drop.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #31
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnutt6

QBs sometimes make a subtle signal to a WR they have good chemistry with in situations where the CB is playing way off and they'll quick throw to the WR hoping he would have enough momentum to juke the DB and gain some good yardage. Heck B. Favre would do this on run plays if he saw something he liked...

And it is not a instant throw by any means.

It is:
1. Snap
2. Turn body in proper throwing position to face WR
3. Throw

This still takes time.. probably about 1.5 seconds or so before the ball elaves the QBs hands, but there is NO drop what so ever and I would like that to still be possible in Madden. But the QB boddy should turn noticably to before the throw can be made.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
But you can hot route a WR to a screen... so really, any play can be that play.
Oh this is just great, the most overused, and insanely deadly play from 09, can now be hot routed on every single play, eliminating the ability to at least read formations and tendencies so you can TRY and stop it. Please, please tell me that this WR screen is not as ridiculously effective as 09.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »