Home

If ratings really mean something this year, than EA should....

This is a discussion on If ratings really mean something this year, than EA should.... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #33
Banned

murry's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: If ratings really mean something this year, than EA should....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecougarbear
Usain Bolt is the fastest human being... EVER... to walk the face of the earth. EVER. I watched Tyson Gay run against a handfull of the "fastest" college football players, guys with 4.2 speed, at the Olympic trials in Eugene last year. I was even fortunate enough to watch Tyson in person break the world record (even if it was wind aided--also I saw him tear his hammy up in person).

that said, did anyone see what happened to Gay when he ran against Bolt in the Olymipcs? Embarrassing.

So: Gay = Faster than the fastest college football players (who will eventually be the fastes NFL players), Usain Bolt = faster than Tyson Gay. Usain Bolt = faster than anyone... EVER. If he is a 95 in pads, then the next fastest guy in Madden 10 had better be an 80, because Bolt is a phenom.
LOL, I agree with you. I also had the pleasure of watching this guy run, and I must laugh at anyone who agrees that a 95 speed rating is justifiable.

I do agree that speed does translate differently on a football field, since you have obstacles in your way most of the time (and other variables). It still does not take away the fact that he is currently the fastest man on the planet. If EA wants to be realistic, then how can you justifiably rate him as having 95 speed? Even in pads, he will still be faster than other people in pads (that is just common sense).

I agree that his ratings in all other areas are subject to interpretation, and he should be rated poorly. But in the area of speed, a 95 is laughable. The man has proven that his speed is superior to anyone else (for now).

If EA is basing there speed rating on the 40 yard dash, then I would say that other fast NFL players could be close to him. After they reach the 40 yard mark, they will more than likely be left way behind (in a 100 yard race). He should still be the highest standard for speed, and no one else should be faster then him.

Imagine him running a streak route against man to man coverage (free release at the line). Yikes!
Old 04-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #34
MVP

MelMan1486's Arena

OVR: 12

Giving Bolt a 95 speed woul be insulting. Anyone remember Tye Hill?... when he ran track in college he ran in the 10.2 range and in madden he had a 97 or 98 speed rating coming out of college. BOLT set the WR in the 100 meter dash and to say hes a 95 speed is waaaaaaaaaay off. The only way he could justify this is if chris johnsons speed was a 90 and everyone elses speed dropped accordingly.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #35
MVP

MelMan1486's Arena

OVR: 12

If you compare Bolts 100 meters vs. other football players that ran tracks 100 meters then applied it to a madden speed rating his speed should be somewhere around 115. Even in the 40 yard dash he's faster than almost if not everyone in the nfl. He may not look quick at the start but thats because hes tall, if you look at the first 40 yards of his 100 meter dash then compare it to reggie bushs when he ran on that track bolts still blows him out of the water.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 3

I still think a lot of people do not understand the concept of football speed vs track speed. In track, athletes have about 50 meters to generate speed and accelerate. In football, game speed is hugely dependent on how quickly a player can reach top speed. Having watched Chris Johnson all year (on T.V. and once in person), not only does he have excellent straight line speed (4.2 forty), but he reaches close to top speed (faster than anyone else) extremely quickly. By the time most defensive linemen are out of their stance, Johnson is already at the line of scrimmage, slipping through the hole. Could Usain Bolt generate that much speed in a matter of yards? I'm not sure he would ever be able to reach top speed quick enough on a football field, working with constant change of direction, 12 lbs of equipment, and all the bruises/ knocks and bumped acquired throughout a game.
Until then, who's to say he would have anymore football speed than say Dick Butkus, who would take, in the words of a former teammate, "All day to run 100 yards, but when it came to one the field, 20 yards in either direction, was quicker than anyone in the league." If you think track speed and football speed correlate perfectly, how do you account for someone like Butkus catching runningbacks who could outrun him easily on the track?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseetitans
I still think a lot of people do not understand the concept of football speed vs track speed. In track, athletes have about 50 meters to generate speed and accelerate. In football, game speed is hugely dependent on how quickly a player can reach top speed. Having watched Chris Johnson all year (on T.V. and once in person), not only does he have excellent straight line speed (4.2 forty), but he reaches close to top speed (faster than anyone else) extremely quickly. By the time most defensive linemen are out of their stance, Johnson is already at the line of scrimmage, slipping through the hole. Could Usain Bolt generate that much speed in a matter of yards? I'm not sure he would ever be able to reach top speed quick enough on a football field, working with constant change of direction, 12 lbs of equipment, and all the bruises/ knocks and bumped acquired throughout a game.
Until then, who's to say he would have anymore football speed than say Dick Butkus, who would take, in the words of a former teammate, "All day to run 100 yards, but when it came to one the field, 20 yards in either direction, was quicker than anyone in the league." If you think track speed and football speed correlate perfectly, how do you account for someone like Butkus catching runningbacks who could outrun him easily on the track?
Did you compare Bolts speed to Dick Butkus?
Speed is something that only an injury, or "father time" can take from you. You either have it, or you don't.

There is no such thing as football speed or track speed. If you are fast on a track, then you are fast on a football field. What is different is quickness, and agility. If Madden would accurately account for those, then you should have no problem with giving someone their correct speed.

Bolt should be given a 100+ speed rating. His agility, stamina, toughness, route running, and quickness rating (etc.) are the only things we should be debating.

Butkus must have been given the dreaded Madden speed boost if he ran down a fast RB from behind.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 3

In real life, football speed is a combination of reaction time, speed, quickness, agility, toughness, body control, endurance etc. Football speed is the speed at which players play the game, because very few football players ever reach their ideal top speed in a game situation.

But, really who are we kidding. Speed in Madden, is everything. It is the one rating that totally represents game speed, and Usain Bolt's rating should reflect this. I personally think he would be one in the list of many athletes whose extreme track speed did not lend itself to football.

Last edited by tennesseetitans; 04-22-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #39
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseetitans
In real life, football speed is a combination of reaction time, speed, quickness, agility, toughness, body control, endurance etc. Football speed is the speed at which players play the game, because very few football players ever reach their ideal top speed in a game situation.

But, really who are we kidding. Speed in Madden, is everything. It is the one rating that totally represents game speed, and Usain Bolt's rating should reflect this. I personally think he would be one in the list of many athletes whose extreme track speed did not lend itself to football.
I understand what you are saying, and I agree with most of what you stated. In previous versions of Madden, speed was everything. There is much more to playing football than speed alone. That is why it is so important for the EA guys to get the ratings to accurately reflect what a player can do.

Currently I would venture to say that the only rating that I can actually see that works is the speed rating.

If speed was all that you need to play football, then the league would consist primarily of track guys. Speed is only one piece to the puzzle (a big piece). There are so many variables that can make speed null and void during an actual game. Unfortunately, Madden has not been able to successfully implement other ratings that should have a bearing on speed.

Just because a player is given a 100 rating in speed, does not mean he should dominate on the field. Like you stated, he has to have the space to reach that 100 speed.

Variables that should render his speed null and void would be things like:

1) Ability to shed bump and run coverage.
2) Route running is another big factor.
3) Does he know when to use his speed (you can't run a streak all day).
4) Is he also able to run fast, look for the ball, and catch it.
5) Can he quickly stop and start multiple times during a play.
6) Can he take a hit.
7) Can he move laterally quickly.
8) Does he know his plays (speed does not help if your not where you should be).

There are sooo many other variables that impact speed while on a football field. That is why Madden 10 should reflect other ratings in a more realistic manner. Awareness and fatigue are key also. If you do not know how to play football, and when and where to use your speed, then you will not last long.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:54 AM   #40
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
The same could be said about any sprinter, but the fact of the matter is that not every person's speed, even fast people who train on their speed, translates well into running with pads.
bingo. I don't understand the argument "he can run that fast without pads, why shouldn't he with?"

that makes no logical sense. Part of bolt's speed is based on his flawless technique and running style. Why do you think he runs with those suits? Imagine the hit his time would take if he even ran in jeans, let alone some plastic shoulder pads that restrict his arms (huge part of a runner's technique), a 6-8 pound helmet, and some spandex leg padding on, not to mention running in thick cleats, not lightweight track shoes.

So yes, I think it would definitely be different running in pads as opposed to without.

As for the 100 yard race or whatever, that was an arbitrary number. My point is that there's speed on a track and then there's speed on grass with pads on and a pigskin in your hands.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »