Home

Would You Play a Historic Franchise Mode?

This is a discussion on Would You Play a Historic Franchise Mode? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you play a Historic NFL mode in Madden 10?
Yes, been wanting to play a Historic team for a long time. 38 47.50%
No, the current Franchise mode is enough for me. 31 38.75%
Undecided, I could take it or leave it. 11 13.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Would You Play a Historic Franchise Mode?

no, I wouldn't.
What about the draft classes?

players from the 80's and rookies from 2010?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 4

Yeah, I would. I'd play as the 85 Dolphins, take out the Patsies in the AFC Championship like it should've happened, and then smash on the Bears AGAIN.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #11
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DearbornDolfan
Yeah, I would. I'd play as the 85 Dolphins, take out the Patsies in the AFC Championship like it should've happened, and then smash on the Bears AGAIN.

LOL. Absolutely.

But why not start with the '84 Dolphins? The 49ers need to be defeated!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 9

More than franchise mode I want to play with all-time teams in unranked (or ranked for that matter since I really don't care about the "integrity" of the rankings anyway) online games....I want to take the '99 Rams against the '00 Ravens...or the '06 Colts against the '85 Bears...or relive "The Catch" ('81 Cowboys @ '81 Niners), "The Drive" ('86 Broncos @ '86 Browns)...I want to be able to use Barry Sanders and the Lions of '91 to change history....I want to see Bo Jackson, Christian Okoye and Lawerence Taylor in a modern day game with their original teams...I want to run tourneys with real players using the best teams from each decade (like those old ESPN shows) and actually see how it plays out now...

I have wanted to use these teams online ever since online play started on consoles...
Old 04-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Historic franchise, not so much. Historic single play now mode, now thats a different story. Check me out

I would love to play that mode PROVIDING, they:

1. Give us a grainy film style or something similar to older technology, you know how the games look different these days compared to 70s 80s highlight reels.

2. Give us the proper equipment for the times (the white tube neck rolls) older style thigh pads, etc ( I recall them looking a little more pronounced then current pads), and the old facemasks.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Details
LOL. Absolutely.

But why not start with the '84 Dolphins? The 49ers need to be defeated!
Because I don't think that was a winnable game. If the Fins put away the Patriots like they were supposed to, the Bears are done. And in the year of my birth, too.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #15
MVP

cedwebb's Arena

OVR: 11

Oh yeah, I would def be into the historic rosters! I know it prob would never happen but thats what 2k8 is for. Love that game!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #16
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
I don't think a mode like that would work beyond a single season at a time if you want it to even resemble reality. As soon as the draft choices change for one season, the entire league is going to play out completely differently. Let's say the 1983 draft gets changed and Dan Marino ends up with the Jets. By the time you get to 1985 it's just as fictional as playing the 2012 season is now, it just has real player names. It also gives you an unfair advantage with your drafting since you already know who the good players are/were and don't need to worry about scouting.
Agreed. I think they would need to provide a deterministic and non-deterministic approach to playing this mode.

In the deterministic approach all of the drafts would stand as is, and so would the games played / stats for those games. The only thing that would change would be you playing the games.

In the non-deterministic approach, everything would be open, including drafts. At this point, you're right, many of the games / matchups would not occur, but you would still be playing with the hsitoric players, which would still be pretty fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »