Home

Old 04-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 14
Throwing meter for QB

After playing the Show last night I started thinking about the possibilities using a throwing meter for passes. This would be a great way to simulate accuracy, release speed and to an extent awareness. The QB's ratings would determine the size of the sweet spot, but like in the show there is still a degree of error built in even if the user hits the sweet spot depending on the rating of the QB for that particular pass. This puts some control in the hands of the user but does not completely negate the ratings of the passer.

As far as awareness, if a quarterback with low awarness attempts a pass to his 3rd option for example, he would have a smaller sweet spot, where as a Peyton Manning would have a large sweet spot for all his receiving options. This is a great way to simulate awareness without the need for passing cones. Other variable could be put in place to adjust the sweet spot such as if he's scrambling or under pressure, a quarterback that can throw on the run or have good composure ratings would have a larger sweet spot in these situations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Throwing meter for QB

For me this idea would not work at all. I already have to keep my eyes on the defenders trying to sack me, as well as looking at my WR's, so I don't need a meter as well to have to look at to throw the ball. Too much going on if you ask me. Same reason why I never liked the vision cone.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
MVP

cedwebb's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffarmleft
After playing the Show last night I started thinking about the possibilities using a throwing meter for passes. This would be a great way to simulate accuracy, release speed and to an extent awareness. The QB's ratings would determine the size of the sweet spot, but like in the show there is still a degree of error built in even if the user hits the sweet spot depending on the rating of the QB for that particular pass. This puts some control in the hands of the user but does not completely negate the ratings of the passer.

As far as awareness, if a quarterback with low awarness attempts a pass to his 3rd option for example, he would have a smaller sweet spot, where as a Peyton Manning would have a large sweet spot for all his receiving options. This is a great way to simulate awareness without the need for passing cones. Other variable could be put in place to adjust the sweet spot such as if he's scrambling or under pressure, a quarterback that can throw on the run or have good composure ratings would have a larger sweet spot in these situations.
You know a meter would be alright it it were implemented correctly. I personally would want it to be semething that you couldn't see on screen.

I was playing 2k8 and the way QBs throw the ball is about perfect IMO. Was using Elway and if he gets to throw without any pressure he is going to throw a great ball that is going to get there quick. Even on the run if he is not throwing against his body he can put out a very catchable ball.

If they just went to something like 2k8 I would be ecstatic. If you are running around with your QB you will see the ball actually wobble instead of a tight spiral. There are so many ways the ball can come out of a QBs hand in that game, it was done right. Really feels like you are throwing a football. You can throw a duck if your not passing within your QBs strengths which is awsome. Hard to explain if you haven't played it but if you have you know exactly what I am refering to. Perfect QB play IMO.

Last edited by cedwebb; 04-21-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 16

The only prolblem I have with that is wiil you have time to get the meter up to passs the ball?I would love to see the Madden team take some note from The Show.I think that would be a good move by the Madden team.The attention to detail (the crowd,lighting and player animations are very nice in the show),presentation and gameplay are on another level,it would be good to see the Madden team taking note from one of the best overal sports game out their.

Cincy still open.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Football and Baseball are way to far apart to try and piggy back game play ideas. Theres entirely to many things goning on after the snap to try and use this idea.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Rookie

BlackJack_Williams's Arena

OVR: 7

Not really feeling the idea. It's more so timing on your part when to throw the ball and be it a straight or lob pass into those sweet spots.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17

I don't really think a meter would play out well on Madden...as someone said, it takes too much time for a meter to come up, and for you to hit the "sweet spot" for a pretty pass...Does the game stop when the meter comes up? Can you still move while the meter is up? If so, does movement effect the sweet spot size and meter speed? There are too many variables in a game like football to account for...in baseball, you don't have 280 lb DEs chasing you while you're pitching...
Old 04-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 13

I like the meter idea but I don't think it will work well with on-line lag... I mean the Show already has issues with lag and it makes pitching difficult.

But in a perfect world were lag doesn't exist I think the meter idea definitely has some merit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »