Home

Which is more important? The right play call or stick skills?

This is a discussion on Which is more important? The right play call or stick skills? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #17
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Which is more important? The right play call or stick skills?

for EA's sake imma say play-calling....i heard somewhere that they want Madden to be like so " We want Madden to be at a level where a head coach of a football team will be able to beat a gamer"....cant wait til this day comes....were straight knowledge of the game (football) can take over....wit good execution i might add
Old 04-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #18
Rookie

Wolverines05's Arena

OVR: 5

Wow! I was just thinking about writing a long thread covering the importance of stick skills vs. play calls. Personally, I have always wanted sports games to have the player rely more on stick skills than play call to be good at the game. Mainly, I think that the stick skills should be shown off while running with the football, whether it be with a qb, rb, kr/pr, or a wr after a catch. In sports games right now, with maybe the exception of nba 2k9 and nhl 09 (which i hear are complicated on the sticks and require good practice to be good at) there is not much skill in the games. I find myself to be utilizing spins/jukes/stutters to the best of my ability while playing Madden, but the game doesn't really force you to use these limited movesets to be good at the game. Essentially, sports games are more based on what you can do to exploit the game, as opposed to practicing stringing moves together. For example, I play Madden against one of my friends, and while I try to play a sim style game and run the ball with stutters being used constantly, he'll roll out with the qb and fire an unbelievably accurate pass to a receiver he can't even see. I'm hoping for the upcoming ncaa 10 and madden 10 to
1.) allow the user a much greater variety of moves, both using the sticks and triggers/face buttons
and 2.) force the gamers to use these moves constantly to do well

The thing that is so great about games such as Halo 3, COD 5, and other great games is that you have to practice all the time to move up the ranks, whether it be strategy, aiming, quickness on the sticks, etc.

In Madden, there truly is not much difference in each player's ability on the sticks. What determines how good a Madden player is his ability to exploit flaws in the game. I'm hoping this year's game delivers an experience where there is a huge difference between the elite gamers and the average gamers.

I'm happy that Ian and the team seem to be delivering what will most likely be the most realistic football game of all time, but at the same time, I'm wary of one of the remarks he made. Ian said something about how he wants an NFL head coach to beat one the guys from Madden Nation or something, (sorry i dont have an exact quote) and while that implies that Madden is going to bring a true chess game this year, there is no way that somewhat who has great brains but bad thumbs should be a guy great on the sticks with avg. playcalling IQ.

Also, trucking is another issue in the game for me. Flicking the stick in an upwards motion right before a defender gets to you really doesn't require any skill at all. In fact, how often do you see trucking in real life. It's more based off of his weight, and should be reflected in the game with either a player's weight or break tackle rating. Pressing up on the stick should be used for another move, such as a quick jab. When combining up on the stick with either face buttons, triggers, or quickly going up then down on the stick should produce different moves. While jukes on the sticks (left, right, and down,) were a great addition to the franchise, trucking was an extremely "un-sim" addition to the game!

Finally, a question to Madden devs or members or community event: Are there more stick skills needed involved to be successful in Madden 10?

Last edited by Wolverines05; 04-21-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:17 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 24

Playcalling vs. Skills is almost like saying playing against the CPU vs. multiplayer.
When it comes to any MP, stick skills are gonna be much more of a factor than when playing against the CPU. Of course, we all hope that the gap gets smaller, with better A.I.
I can't express enough how much I love the chess game of football, though. Spotting a blitz, and picking out the right audible. Or, knowing what plays are best for a 2nd and 3 situation. It's a total team sport, and everyone has to do their job, and execute, to make the plays work.
Since I don't play much football MP, for me, it's about the right play call.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #20
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiraomlal

So why do you play madden?

Manipulating the action on the field from a 'God-point-of-view' gives me an advantage over the AI that I do not enjoy having; I also don't like manually controlling the players because it negates their AWR rating. So I am in that very small minority of gamers who believes that you cannot have an authentic sports-gaming experience unless you play it in 'Coach Mode'.

I don't get any joy from out-manuevering the CPU controlled AI. My gaming satisfaction comes from knowing that I won the game due to having a superior gameplan.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.

Last edited by DLaren; 04-21-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaren
Manipulating the action on the field from a 'God-point-of-view' gives me an advantage over the AI that I do not enjoy having; I also don't like manually controlling the players because it negates their AWR rating. So I am in that very small minority of gamers who believes that you cannot have an authentic sports-gaming experience unless you play it in 'Coach Mode'.

I don't get any joy from out-manuevering the CPU controlled AI. My gaming satisfaction comes from knowing that I won the game due to having a superior gameplan.
Well said. And I very much agree.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #22
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
So I am in that very small minority of gamers who believes that you cannot have an authentic sports-gaming experience unless you play it in 'Coach Mode'.
After hearing of the addition of adaptive AI in M10, I'm at least thinking about using Coach mode for the first time.

Even though I sux with the sticks, it'll still be hard for me to let go. But I think it could be a blast using Coach mode with a Lions franchise.

I can't remember though...are we getting an actual CM?...or is it just QB Auto throw?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKE4742
Well said. And I very much agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
After hearing of the addition of adaptive AI in M10, I'm at least thinking about using Coach mode for the first time.

Even though I sux with the sticks, it'll still be hard for me to let go. But I think it could be a blast using Coach mode with a Lions franchise.

I can't remember though...are we getting an actual CM?...or is it just QB Auto throw?
Quote:

So why not just play Head Coach?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #24
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
So why not just play Head Coach?
Personally, I'm not THAT into Coach Mode. But, I don't take joy from having certain advantages over the CPU. That's why I like features such as Player Lock. I'm not into controlling the entire team. I don't even control players once they have the ball. I just control the QB and HB. So smarter A.I. is huge, for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »