Home

Which is more important? The right play call or stick skills?

This is a discussion on Which is more important? The right play call or stick skills? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Question Which is more important? The right play call or stick skills?

So whats the point of playing a football game?

I play for the chess match. Calling the cover 1,2,3, and 4's at the right time. Not calling dime vs a goalline.

I notice to many people are impressed with stick skills. I was reading a thread and a guy was talking about the skill involved with being the qb and sitting in the pocket.

So is it more important to know football and what play calls stop what or is just important that you can get ur rb to spin in unrealistic ways.

So why are we playing football? The chess match of plays or who can control the sticks better? Hell i almost think that you shouldnt even control the players on the field. It should be a mental battle. After all you are the coach right? Coaches arent on the field but they can tell a defender to watch specific things.

So what kind of football are we playing? Whos better at the sticks(arcade) or who actually understands football and what should beat what(sim). Football may be the most popular sport in america but most people dont even really know whats going on.

I know in years past madden has been pure arcade (have you seen the madden tour)

So why do you play madden?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Which is more important? The right play call or stick skills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiraomlal
So whats the point of playing a football game?

I play for the chess match. Calling the cover 1,2,3, and 4's at the right time. Not calling dime vs a goalline.

I notice to many people are impressed with stick skills. I was reading a thread and a guy was talking about the skill involved with being the qb and sitting in the pocket.

So is it more important to know football and what play calls stop what or is just important that you can get ur rb to spin in unrealistic ways.

So why are we playing football? The chess match of plays or who can control the sticks better? Hell i almost think that you shouldnt even control the players on the field. It should be a mental battle. After all you are the coach right? Coaches arent on the field but they can tell a defender to watch specific things.

So what kind of football are we playing? Whos better at the sticks(arcade) or who actually understands football and what should beat what(sim). Football may be the most popular sport in america but most people dont even really know whats going on.

I know in years past madden has been pure arcade (have you seen the madden tour)

So why do you play madden?
I play it for both reasons. I've always loved video games, so I've always been pretty good on the sticks, and I love the chess match that football presents, and ultimately I love the ability to combine both!

Bating someone into a throw and manually jumping their route for a pick is awesome, and you need both to execute that correctly. Heck you can do everything right, and screw up the stick and give up a TD when really if your stick was better you should've had an INT.

If you don't want to deal with the stick then play Head Coach.... simple as that
Old 04-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #3

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

Iv'e always loved playing video games. We play this game called madden because we want to be the players on the field not a old *ss coach. Thats why they have head coach if you want to be a actual coach. Its important to understand what plays to call and have stick skills. Its a 50/50 thing. You can't know everything to call but then blow your assignment.

Both of them play hand in hand you can't really win with one without the other. Its like actual football. the play calling is offensive and the stick play is defensive. you got to have both to win.

Edit: you actually have to have some knowledge of what your calling, if not its going to be a long game. If I had to choose one over the other i'd have to say stick skills over play calling.

Last edited by SouthernBrick; 04-21-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

It's going to piss a lot of people off when I say this, but- Stick skills should be more important than play call. Any coach worth a damn will tell you: It's not what you do, it's how you do it. The perfect playcall will not overcome poor execution.

Now, that's leaving out the second dimension of execution, and that's making the right reads and being smart with the ball. You don't have to be a wizard on the stick to simply find the open man or hit the right hole. A combination of good play calling and smart play will overcome someone who's got lightning thumbs.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm a decent stick man. I'm a great strategist, so I'll say the play call. I would not enjoy the game if I could only call plays, so the stick skills are important. But overall, I say that because football is a strategic game, your offensive and defensive philosophies should prevail over your super-button-combo skills.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

I'm not as familiar with Madden, but I know APF2K8's playbook like the back of my hand, and in that game it's Play Calls that mean more than anything else though stick skills are very important for shutting down the run and stopping a couple of hard to cover routes. Realistically, I say both are important. One with out the other is only half the game, though IMHO knowing what play to call is going to win you more games than any stick skills ever will.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Right Play..

Stick skills are great, but even the greats mess up, and no matter how good your stick skills are, you can't beat a well called offensive or defensive play.

Your stick skills only tell you how many yards you get or give up on that bad play call.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 20

In this playcall vs. stick skills arguement you are really leaving out a very important part of the deal. Player ratings really need to come into play. Basically here is how I feel it should break down.

Play calling should be important in terms of the basic decision, in terms of putting the other 10 players on your defense in the right position to make plays. Play calling should allow you to help your players be in the right positions and give you the opportunity through mixing up play calls to confuse opponents and whatnot. This should be emphasized by not allowing players to slide warp into position when out of position and by actually making awareness and play recognition matter for computer controlled players.

All actual actions on the field should be determined by either stick skills or ratings. Stick skills should determine which action is attempted, which movement is attempted, etc. Success in performing those actions, turning speed while moving, speed while moving, acceleration etc should all be completely independent of stick skill and completely dependent on ratings.

No matter how well you time the button press a 5'10" CB with 60 jump rating should never outjump a 6'5" receiver with 95 jump rating given that both are stading and waiting for the ball at the time of the jump. The bigger guy should always jump higher. The timing however should determine the timing of the jump so if the receiver jumps too early or too late (dependent on button press for user controlled players or maybe awareness and other ratings for CPU controlled players) then the DB might have a chance to still get the ball but at the height of their jump the WR should always be higher.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »