Home

Old 04-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Retirement/Regression Overhaul

They should add the health/fatigue system from NFL Head Coach. Players get banged up on certain body parts and when their fatigue is dropped low enough, you have the option of subbing them out. Keep them in and the chance of them getting injured increases. Also, when a player suffers an injury on a certain body part, it usually never gets back up to 100% again in his career. This would help the regression of some players through injury and would be a welcomed addition to franchise mode in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit
I also wonder how the more casual fan that makes up the majority of Madden's user base would react. Would they be ok with some of their favorite players on their hometown team regressing so much?
I don't think that the casual fan would be able to get far enough into the franchise before they'd realize what was really going on.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit
I think you're spot on.

I wonder, though, if the NFL would be ok with a regression system that realistic. They're so image-conscious, I'm not sure how they'd fell about today's superstars eventually regressing into uselessness in millions of copies of Madden.

I also wonder how the more casual fan that makes up the majority of Madden's user base would react. Would they be ok with some of their favorite players on their hometown team regressing so much? Probably would be best to make it a franchise option like "Player Regression: Limited/Realistic" and default it to limited.
As long as the system is realistic I don't see it being a problem. These things have been done before in other games, players regressing quickly at the ends of their careers, and I doubt there were a ton of complaints or a dropoff of sales due to it.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 12

I agree.

I have posted similar things several times myself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #12
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17

I also hope they take into account, considering retirements, the position. For example, kickers/punters don't usually retire at 34, because they don't really take any contact. QBs play well into their mid to late 30s (some into their 40s...Favre and Testaverde, I'm looking at you...), and FBs don't usually retire until later because, although they take contact when blocking, they don't usually have the workload of a starting RB. It always drives me nuts how, in 09 Brad Hoover retires after 9 seasons in the NFL, when Lorenzo Neal can play into his 40s (being facetious...but you get the point).

But more to the point of this thread, yeah, I believe that the team has put a lot of time (or at least are going to) to make progression/regression more realistic. We don't need to have TO retire as a 93 ovr, or Favre as a 97 ovr...
Old 04-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
I also hope they take into account, considering retirements, the position. For example, kickers/punters don't usually retire at 34, because they don't really take any contact. QBs play well into their mid to late 30s (some into their 40s...Favre and Testaverde, I'm looking at you...), and FBs don't usually retire until later because, although they take contact when blocking, they don't usually have the workload of a starting RB. It always drives me nuts how, in 09 Brad Hoover retires after 9 seasons in the NFL, when Lorenzo Neal can play into his 40s (being facetious...but you get the point).

But more to the point of this thread, yeah, I believe that the team has put a lot of time (or at least are going to) to make progression/regression more realistic. We don't need to have TO retire as a 93 ovr, or Favre as a 97 ovr...
Brett didn't really play into his mid 40s. He won't turn 40 for another like 6 months.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #14
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17

Whoops. My bad. But you get the point. And he may have "retired", but we've heard that before...I'll believe it when the season rolls around and he's not on anyone's roster...so he may play into his mid 40s..
Old 04-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #15
MVP

so true, so true.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #16
Rookie

BuzzKardzrool's Arena

OVR: 7

Yea, my main point about retirement is that 99% of players don't retire with contracts and starting spots. Every player has their own expectations for themselves. Some players retire because they can no longer start while others retire because they can't even make a roster. Almost no one retires because they're just tired of playing. If TO and Favre are 90-something at old ages, that can be fine, they just shouldn't retire randomly though. Favre waited until he made an embarrassment out of himself before he retired, and who knows, maybe he'll even come back.

I see people talk about talking players out of retirement in 2K5, but what if we could try to talk players into retiring? I can't think of any examples but I know it happens. For all we know, the Colts might have tried to persuade Marvin Harrison to retire. I can't think of examples off the top of my head, but I know it happens a lot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »