Home

Old 04-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #17
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Retirement/Regression Overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKardzrool
Yea, my main point about retirement is that 99% of players don't retire with contracts and starting spots. Every player has their own expectations for themselves. Some players retire because they can no longer start while others retire because they can't even make a roster. Almost no one retires because they're just tired of playing. If TO and Favre are 90-something at old ages, that can be fine, they just shouldn't retire randomly though. Favre waited until he made an embarrassment out of himself before he retired, and who knows, maybe he'll even come back.

I see people talk about talking players out of retirement in 2K5, but what if we could try to talk players into retiring? I can't think of any examples but I know it happens. For all we know, the Colts might have tried to persuade Marvin Harrison to retire. I can't think of examples off the top of my head, but I know it happens a lot.
I don't know if teams really try to talk players INTO retiring...most just cut the veterans once they are considered "on the downward spiral," and be done with them, saying things like "he was a great player and a great [insert team here] and we wish him luck in his career wherever he goes" when they are really thinking, "He just can't play at a high level anymore, and he's too big a cap hit."

I'd like to see players who retire possibly become coaches (Sam Mills for Carolina, Tom Rathman, etc)...that way I won't have to say goodbye to Muhsin Muhammad in a year or two...I can have him as a WR coach!
Old 04-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #18
Rookie

BuzzKardzrool's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
I don't know if teams really try to talk players INTO retiring...most just cut the veterans once they are considered "on the downward spiral," and be done with them, saying things like "he was a great player and a great [insert team here] and we wish him luck in his career wherever he goes" when they are really thinking, "He just can't play at a high level anymore, and he's too big a cap hit."

I'd like to see players who retire possibly become coaches (Sam Mills for Carolina, Tom Rathman, etc)...that way I won't have to say goodbye to Muhsin Muhammad in a year or two...I can have him as a WR coach!

I'm pretty sure teams have tried to talk players into retiring. Maybe it was a different sport. But I know its happened. Still not a must-have in Madden, because I can't even think of an example.

Players can't become coaches? They could in Madden 06 on PS2. It was kind of annoying because only the best players would become coaches. The coaching system was horrible in that game. Teams switched coaches for no reason. I could always end up with Bill Belichick as my coach because he would always be out of contract. Plus there was no disadvantage to just switching coaches even if your current coach was doing fine. There's no reason for me to keep Mike Nolan after a 10-6 season if I can just get Belichick. I'd prefer a coaches system like in Head Coach 09 as opposed to the current owner mode in Madden.

I'm really used to Madden 06 on PS2 so if anyone could answer these questions I'd appreciate it. Can you play multiplayer offline franchises on 360/PS3? Can you watch the computer play in franchise? Is free agency and the draft the same? Is the draft after free agency? In a 2-player franchise would there be enough time to make offers to whichever free agents we wanted?

I know it's a lot of questions, but it'd be a lot easier to discuss Madden if I knew more about the most recent versions. Thanks
Old 04-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #19
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
I'm pretty sure teams have tried to talk players into retiring. Maybe it was a different sport. But I know its happened. Still not a must-have in Madden, because I can't even think of an example.

Players can't become coaches? They could in Madden 06 on PS2. It was kind of annoying because only the best players would become coaches. The coaching system was horrible in that game. Teams switched coaches for no reason. I could always end up with Bill Belichick as my coach because he would always be out of contract. Plus there was no disadvantage to just switching coaches even if your current coach was doing fine. There's no reason for me to keep Mike Nolan after a 10-6 season if I can just get Belichick. I'd prefer a coaches system like in Head Coach 09 as opposed to the current owner mode in Madden.

I'm really used to Madden 06 on PS2 so if anyone could answer these questions I'd appreciate it. Can you play multiplayer offline franchises on 360/PS3? Can you watch the computer play in franchise? Is free agency and the draft the same? Is the draft after free agency? In a 2-player franchise would there be enough time to make offers to whichever free agents we wanted?

I know it's a lot of questions, but it'd be a lot easier to discuss Madden if I knew more about the most recent versions. Thanks
I'm trying to remember 06 on PS2...it's been a while ...On PS3 for 09, you can take more than one team in a franchise...and then with two controllers, I could control one team, the second player could control another...in theory. If you don't move your controller icon to a team, I believe you can watch a CPU v CPU game...Free Agency and the Draft haven't really changed at all, minus the "scouting" which is pointless...draft after free agency...no restricted free agents...free agency is 30 days long...no more free agency after draft until preseason...

I seem to remember players becoming coaches in last gen games...but maybe I just get so frustrated with the "same old same old" franchise in 09 that I can't make it far enough to see retired players become coaches...
Old 04-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:

Players can't become coaches? They could in Madden 06 on PS2.

There are some already retired players in the coach pool but I have never seen players who retire during the franchise become coaches,

It was kind of annoying because only the best players would become coaches. The coaching system was horrible in that game. Teams switched coaches for no reason. I could always end up with Bill Belichick as my coach because he would always be out of contract. Plus there was no disadvantage to just switching coaches even if your current coach was doing fine. There's no reason for me to keep Mike Nolan after a 10-6 season if I can just get Belichick. I'd prefer a coaches system like in Head Coach 09 as opposed to the current owner mode in Madden.

I'm really used to Madden 06 on PS2 so if anyone could answer these questions I'd appreciate it. Can you play multiplayer offline franchises on 360/PS3? Yes Can you watch the computer play in franchise? No Is free agency and the draft the same? Same as what? Is the draft after free agency? Yes In a 2-player franchise would there be enough time to make offers to whichever free agents we wanted? Yes

I answered what I could
Old 04-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #21
Rookie

BuzzKardzrool's Arena

You really can't watch your own franchise games without playing them? That's ridiculous. If I do a franchise with my dad, that's all we would do. That ruins a lot for us.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
You really can't watch your own franchise games without playing them? That's ridiculous. If I do a franchise with my dad, that's all we would do. That ruins a lot for us.

My bad, misunderstood the question. I thought you were referring to games between two computer teams. Your own team's games yes, you can watch.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #23
Rookie

BuzzKardzrool's Arena

Thanks. Was looking forward to some good old Madden father-son bonding for the first time since Madden 2000, got worried there. Not that I'm not worried the game won't have some other unplayable aspects.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #24
Madden NFL Dev

RedZoneD25's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
I answered what I could

I have seen it. Brian Dawkins becomes a coach a few years after he retires(after Season 1)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »