Home

A fun fact on EA and Visual Concepts

This is a discussion on A fun fact on EA and Visual Concepts within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #17
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: A fun fact on EA and Visual Concepts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLuX
2K outdid Madden EVERY year of its existence, 2K5 is just the one that brought everything to a whole new level.

A level we're still waiting to return to five years later.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #18
MVP

Outkizast's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLuX
2K outdid Madden EVERY year of its existence, 2K5 is just the one that brought everything to a whole new level.
um.. i have to disagree... i had a dreamcast and loved the NFL 2k games and everything.. but once i got my playstation 2 and Madden 2001... i was blown away... i've liked the madden games best every year up until 2005.. (which i believe is the best madden).. then i thought that madden 2005 AND NFL2k5 were equal.... but i still preferred to play madden over 2k5..... once the next gen versions of madden came along everything went down the pooper as we all know.. but i find it VERY hard to say that 2k outdid Madden EVERY year....
Old 04-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
On a similar note, I suppose that when Probst found out that VC (the now famous company that produced the turd known as Madden 96, which got canceled because it was so awful) was on board it was a deal killer.
It wasn't cancelled beacause it was poor. It was cancelled because it fell behind schedule and wouldn't be completed in time. It was their inability to meet the deadline that did them in, not a poor game. And it was nearly impossible to meet this deadline at the time. EA contracted the game out because they themselves were stretched too far to make it happen.

Its like me taking the biggest account in our company and dumping it off to the guy next to me, then blaming him when they lose the account.

Also, the gaming industry in 1995 wasn't 1/1000000th of what it is today. Now, the gaming industry yearly competes with the profits of the movie industry. In 1995, this was unthinkable.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSRT
Has EA ever not been scared by competition??? Its like they are aware they produce sub par titles.

Gah i hope Madden changes things this yr.
Yea, and Microsoft never produced an operating system people wanted to use. They are the largest gaming company in the world for a reason, you know.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its Vanilla
Sony was originally partnered with Nintendo to create an add-on for the SNES, not with Sega.
You are correct:

Kalinske was not yet defeated. He still had plenty of connections, not the least of which was Sony. SEGA had a good relationship with them, having worked together on the SEGA CD, and SEGA had helped them to get their feet wet in the software business. Sony had been working on a deal with Nintendo that had had recently fallen through and were interested in continuing their work on a game console. Kalinske tells of the Sony deal:
"We got together with [Sony] and defined what we'd like to see in our next hardware. We had this great idea that it should be a joint SEGA-Sony hardware system. If we had to take a loss on the hardware (which was the norm then), we'd split the loss on the hardware, but we wouldn't split software, so any software they did, they'd get 100% of the profits, and any software we did, we'd get 100% of the profits. It seemed like a fair deal since we were eons ahead of them in terms of software development.

"So we go to Japan, and Sony management liked the idea. Then we went to SEGA, and Nakayama hated the idea. [laughs] So that was the end of that, and the rest is history once again. Those were the specs that
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #22
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outkizast
um.. i have to disagree... i had a dreamcast and loved the NFL 2k games and everything.. but once i got my playstation 2 and Madden 2001... i was blown away... i've liked the madden games best every year up until 2005.. (which i believe is the best madden).. then i thought that madden 2005 AND NFL2k5 were equal.... but i still preferred to play madden over 2k5..... once the next gen versions of madden came along everything went down the pooper as we all know.. but i find it VERY hard to say that 2k outdid Madden EVERY year....
Good post, I agree. I was addicted to Madden 2001 when I got my PS2. I thought NFL 2k5 was a little better than Madden 05(best Madden) though.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 04-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #23
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

Bernie messed up when he mentioned Visual Concepts!

Visual Concepts are the original designers of Madden, and when they tried to change Madden, EA wouldn't let them do it because they gave them a specific wash and repeat method and VC wanted to add and improve. When they couldn't agree, VC walked and EA sports of the old was bitter about it.

That's a fact as well!
Old 04-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
Bernie messed up when he mentioned Visual Concepts!

Visual Concepts are the original designers of Madden, and when they tried to change Madden, EA wouldn't let them do it because they gave them a specific wash and repeat method and VC wanted to add and improve. When they couldn't agree, VC walked and EA sports of the old was bitter about it.

That's a fact as well!

No, it isnt. VC decided, a little too late it turns out, that they would go with 3d polygon technology instead of 2d sprites. EA saw an unfinished version of the game, and loved it. They began promoting Madden 96 as the New Age of Madden. Then, September came, and it wasnt done. Then, October. Finally, EA pulled the plug and was so furious that Sony's Gameday was the only football title, and very successful, on the new Playstation. They cut all ties with VC in and bashed them ever since.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »