Home

A fun fact on EA and Visual Concepts

This is a discussion on A fun fact on EA and Visual Concepts within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
ESBC Roster - The Best We've Ever Seen in a Boxing Game?
PES 2021 Team Spirit Guide - Understand Chemistry on a New Level
MLB The Show 21 Diamond Dynasty Budget Beasts
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-23-2009, 02:35 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: A fun fact on EA and Visual Concepts

While I agree 2k football had its backers, the bottomline is how many games you sell - and Madden always had that. Even when 2k5 went to $19.99, Madden won the sales war.
IMO, the Dreamcast died because it didn't get EA Sports games.
You can argue until you're blue in the face that 2k made better football games, but at the end of the day, only sales matter.

That said, I would love 2k football to still be alive. Competition is always good.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:56 AM   #50
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
If you read the entire article it basically goes from the very beginning of Sega to the very end and it talks about all the little mistakes that htey made.

Did you know that Sega had first crack at the N64 chip and also the Playstation chip?

In fact, Sony was already on board to work with Sega and make the Sega PlayStation but the Japanese branch of Sega refused and wanted to go with their clunky, expensive and poorly designed Sega Saturn instead (although that was the best 6 button controller ever made).

Finally Microsoft wanted to buy Sega when the Dreamcast came out, can you imagine the Dreamcast if backed by Microsoft?

Oh well, lots of "what Ifs" that spelled Segas doom, but when they were on top, they certainly made some of the best games ever.
Never heard of the Sega Playstation deal, but I do remember that Nintendo and Sony were about to hook up. They initially were going to have a CD system add-on for the Super Nintendo (I had an EGM mag from back then showing the actual prototype), and then they talked about doing a full standalone system, but Nintendo wanted too much of the pie and Sony walked away and threatened to make their own and bury Nintendo. In a lot of ways they did, because at least for the next 2 generations Sony ran it on Nintendo and held the top spot.

Looks like the fortunes have turned back in Nintendo's favor now though I would hardly consider the Wii part of this generation really, but that's another story about why I stopped taking Nintendo seriously about a decade ago...
Old 04-23-2009, 05:30 AM   #51
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmulk
It wasn't cancelled beacause it was poor. It was cancelled because it fell behind schedule and wouldn't be completed in time. It was their inability to meet the deadline that did them in, not a poor game. And it was nearly impossible to meet this deadline at the time. EA contracted the game out because they themselves were stretched too far to make it happen.
Nah, it was definitely poor, and I know this for a fact because I've had the unreleased version (which of course would be the only version) for quite some time. Not only were there camera problems galore, but the animations were completely glitched, and there were a ton of silly little issues. One I laugh at is the fact that you couldn't select 15 min quarters but you could select 16, lol.

I'm very much aware of the deadline issue, but regardless of that VC produced a piece of crap. Enter Tiburon.

Madden 97 was a good game, Madden 98 (a gritty, serious football game for its time with very cool presentation) was one of my all-time favorites, and Madden 99 wasn't bad either. But once 2000 hit, to me, Madden went into the toilet and became increasingly non-serious and arcade-like, and it didn't help that the player models looked so ridiculous. Whoever was doing art back then... that guy was on something hard. I'll never forgive him for the fact that for an entire generation he never got it on track. That was just inexcusable.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 04-23-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #52
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Never heard of the Sega Playstation deal, but I do remember that Nintendo and Sony were about to hook up. They initially were going to have a CD system add-on for the Super Nintendo (I had an EGM mag from back then showing the actual prototype), and then they talked about doing a full standalone system, but Nintendo wanted too much of the pie and Sony walked away and threatened to make their own and bury Nintendo. In a lot of ways they did, because at least for the next 2 generations Sony ran it on Nintendo and held the top spot.

Looks like the fortunes have turned back in Nintendo's favor now though I would hardly consider the Wii part of this generation really, but that's another story about why I stopped taking Nintendo seriously about a decade ago...
I remember the picture you are talking about, I think the prototype was white... either way, Sega had a shot at it after Sony and Nintendo broke off talks, but while Sega USA was gung ho about it, as was Sony Japan, Sega Japan however did not like the idea... too bad
Old 04-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

So 96 was garbage huh? I chalk that up as VC was getting their feet wet with their first football title and didnt come through. They were probably plotting and scheming the whole time after that first release to dethrone EA. I cant lie, they came back with a vengeance in 2005 and pretty much took the title.

I enjoyed both Madden and 2k that year though. I'm sure that VC noticed EA always came up short on the presentation side and so that was why they had a major focus on the presentation during development of 2k5.

VC developers was like "yea we got something for EAs monkey asses this year"(2005), lol.

I think tiburon is about to lock it up for good this year though. Its a done deal. After this year, even if competition arises from somewhere else, tiburons gonna smash em from here on out. Mark them words.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #54
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
So 96 was garbage huh? I chalk that up as VC was getting their feet wet with their first football title and didnt come through. They were probably plotting and scheming the whole time after that first release to dethrone EA. I cant lie, they came back with a vengeance in 2005 and pretty much took the title.

I enjoyed both Madden and 2k that year though. I'm sure that VC noticed EA always came up short on the presentation side and so that was why they had a major focus on the presentation during development of 2k5.

VC developers was like "yea we got something for EAs monkey asses this year"(2005), lol.

I think tiburon is about to lock it up for good this year though. Its a done deal. After this year, even if competition arises from somewhere else, tiburons gonna smash em from here on out. Mark them words.
Its seems very difficult for any serious competition to ever show up without real NFL rosters... I mean a game would have to be simply outstanding with a powerful editor to beat Madden, no matter how poor Madden is.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
Its seems very difficult for any serious competition to ever show up without real NFL rosters... I mean a game would have to be simply outstanding with a powerful editor to beat Madden, no matter how poor Madden is.
This isn't entirely true. Many times, when people buy a football game, they tend to create their own players, customize existing players, and create new teams. The NFL logo is a seller, but not as much as people think.

Has their even been a fully featured Non-NFL "sim" football game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #56
MVP

drae2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
I still have my Dreamcast.
Me too. I remember standing in line for 3 hours on 9/9/99. And to this day I still will bust out Soul Calibur and Ready to Rumble every now and then!

Last edited by drae2; 04-23-2009 at 01:56 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »