Home

Just a thought as i have not seen it mentioned....

This is a discussion on Just a thought as i have not seen it mentioned.... within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #25
3-4 Defense
 
roll2tide's Arena
 
OVR: 13
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 231
Blog Entries: 6
Cool Re: Just a thought as i have not seen it mentioned....

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think the sprint button is needed. I don't really want the entire range of speed to be controlled by left stick. That's fine to handle the speed between when your trailing a blocker and when your accelerating through a hole but there is another gear that almost all skill players have beyond that. The flat out sprint. As a young athlete(football, basketball, soccer) I could run at maybe 90% or even 95% and still have balance, control, and the ability cut quickly but I also had another gear where I was just flat out picking em up and putting em down in a straight line and if I had tried to cut sharply without a slight decrease in speed then I was likely to lose that balance and control.

This is an important factor, imo, in utilizing the speed of a skill player. Adrian Peterson is an easy example of this. I watched him play live several times(I live in Norman, OK) and the speed with which he turned a corner on a sweep in traffic was fast--really fast. But then you'd see one where he turned that corner and there was nothing but green ahead of him and he could just shock you with a gear that you didn't see every play. The man eliminates angles in the open field.

I think this type of speed should be where the sprint button comes in. Maybe it results in a loss of lateral movement when held down, maybe it accelerates fatigue, i don't know--but it needs to be in the game.

Also, football, imo, is unique in it's need for varying speeds. Hockey players virtually never stop, but RBs often stop on a dime and change direction. Because of the very nature of handling a soccer ball those guys rarely have the chance to wide open sprint and almost never while in possession of the ball. Baseball--eh, doesn't even fit in a conversation about running. Basketball is very stop and start but the length of the court prevents sprints that cover anything more than very short distances. Football requires the entire range and the knowledge of when to use which. I think all of the varying degrees of speed need to be in the game.
__________________
GT roll2tide



Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA


Twitter roll2tide
roll2tide is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #26
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!
 
da ThRONe's Arena
 
OVR: 35
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Posts: 8,573
Re: Just a thought as i have not seen it mentioned....

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2tide
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think the sprint button is needed. I don't really want the entire range of speed to be controlled by left stick. That's fine to handle the speed between when your trailing a blocker and when your accelerating through a hole but there is another gear that almost all skill players have beyond that. The flat out sprint. As a young athlete(football, basketball, soccer) I could run at maybe 90% or even 95% and still have balance, control, and the ability cut quickly but I also had another gear where I was just flat out picking em up and putting em down in a straight line and if I had tried to cut sharply without a slight decrease in speed then I was likely to lose that balance and control.

This is an important factor, imo, in utilizing the speed of a skill player. Adrian Peterson is an easy example of this. I watched him play live several times(I live in Norman, OK) and the speed with which he turned a corner on a sweep in traffic was fast--really fast. But then you'd see one where he turned that corner and there was nothing but green ahead of him and he could just shock you with a gear that you didn't see every play. The man eliminates angles in the open field.

I think this type of speed should be where the sprint button comes in. Maybe it results in a loss of lateral movement when held down, maybe it accelerates fatigue, i don't know--but it needs to be in the game.

Also, football, imo, is unique in it's need for varying speeds. Hockey players virtually never stop, but RBs often stop on a dime and change direction. Because of the very nature of handling a soccer ball those guys rarely have the chance to wide open sprint and almost never while in possession of the ball. Baseball--eh, doesn't even fit in a conversation about running. Basketball is very stop and start but the length of the court prevents sprints that cover anything more than very short distances. Football requires the entire range and the knowledge of when to use which. I think all of the varying degrees of speed need to be in the game.
The point is if you run in a straight line long enough(based of the ratings) you will get to top speed!
__________________
You looking at the Chair MAN!

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
da ThRONe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #27
MVP
 
Tyrant8RDFL's Arena
 
OVR: 20
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Queens New York
Re: Just a thought as i have not seen it mentioned....

I'm cool with a option for sure.

Now for me personally I would rather have a sprint button. someone mentioned that a RB tends to jog into a whole hesitates some to let his blocks develop and once he gets in the open then will sprint. I know for a fact that is not the case on all runs. There are some dives that requires for you to burst through the hole at top speed, and this is because in the NFL holes don't stay open very long at all.

So in the end yes there are some runs that need patience, and some that don't, and for this alone I would like a speed burst button. Hey if they can pull this off with the left stick alone than I'm cool with that. I just don't think they can. You really need to pull off different speeds in the NFL for all type of situations, and the speed burst button helps with this.
Tyrant8RDFL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #28
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!
 
da ThRONe's Arena
 
OVR: 35
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Posts: 8,573
Re: Just a thought as i have not seen it mentioned....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
I'm cool with a option for sure.

Now for me personally I would rather have a sprint button. someone mentioned that a RB tends to jog into a whole hesitates some to let his blocks develop and once he gets in the open then will sprint. I know for a fact that is not the case on all runs. There are some dives that requires for you to burst through the hole at top speed, and this is because in the NFL holes don't stay open very long at all.

So in the end yes there are some runs that need patience, and some that don't, and for this alone I would like a speed burst button. Hey if they can pull this off with the left stick alone than I'm cool with that. I just don't think they can. You really need to pull off different speeds in the NFL for all type of situations, and the speed burst button helps with this.
That burst can be represented without the sprint button!
__________________
You looking at the Chair MAN!

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
da ThRONe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #29
MVP
 
Tyrant8RDFL's Arena
 
OVR: 20
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Queens New York
Re: Just a thought as i have not seen it mentioned....

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
That burst can be represented without the sprint button!
If it can than I'm cool with it.

Honestly it should be a option. It will do one very important thing for the gamer by making it a option. It will allow for us that are skeptical to go back and fourth with it, and see 1st hand that it can be done. Now if it is not a option and forced on then by not having the option to go back and fourth it will make gamers not truly feel if it was done correctly.

Then after that 1st attempt implementing alone on the Madden after it wont be a big deal if the option is then gone.
Tyrant8RDFL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #30
3-4 Defense
 
roll2tide's Arena
 
OVR: 13
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 231
Blog Entries: 6
Cool Re: Just a thought as i have not seen it mentioned....

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
The point is if you run in a straight line long enough(based of the ratings) you will get to top speed!

but that's not how it is. Do you play sports? (i dont mean that sarcastically) If you do then you know that you can go from 90% to 100% in just a step or two when the opportunity presents itself. I think that that explosive burst to that extra gear should be button controlled rather than trying to hold the stick at some 90% angle to hold something back while you look for that opening.
__________________
GT roll2tide



Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA


Twitter roll2tide
roll2tide is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:40 PM   #31
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!
 
da ThRONe's Arena
 
OVR: 35
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Posts: 8,573
Re: Just a thought as i have not seen it mentioned....

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
That burst can be represented without the sprint button!
^^^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2tide
but that's not how it is. Do you play sports? (i dont mean that sarcastically) If you do then you know that you can go from 90% to 100% in just a step or two when the opportunity presents itself. I think that that explosive burst to that extra gear should be button controlled rather than trying to hold the stick at some 90% angle to hold something back while you look for that opening.
__________________
You looking at the Chair MAN!

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
da ThRONe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 11:45 PM   #32
MVP
 
OVR: 26
Join Date: Sep 2008
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Just a thought as i have not seen it mentioned....

@ da ThRONe

I understand where you are coming from and I also did read every thing you posted on the burst button before. The problem isnt how everything is being used its how tired players get during the play.

People who are saying that when a player turns the corner and they go into that second gear(sprint button) maybe dont realize that the left stick would be pressure sensitive so if you pushed it all the way down it would be like using the sprint button. If you didnt want to move fast at all because you are waiting for blocks then you dont press it all the way down(like walking in a lot of video games)

But the same argument could be made that a burst or sprint button should be implemented. I think that basketball had the same idea with the "turbo" button and how it drained down the more you used it. Your burst button is basicly the turbo button and it acts the same way as the sprint button should IF stamina meant something during the play itself.

If people dont know stamina/fatigue is calculated at the end of the play. This creates the environment you see in Madden. We have players running around in circles if they really wanted to but in real life a lot of players are gased after 20 plus yard runs. I could show you countless videos that show a player huffing and puffing after sprinting 30 yards and making someone miss or I could show you kickoff returns where the player isnt moving fast then takes off and after the 30-40 yards you see a dramatic speed difference.

Make notice after the punter how the much slower Jones Drew is.






Regardless, Of what system M10 goes with, if the problem of how tired players get in the play itself is not fixed we will see things like this. BTW, and no offense I think the burst button is more a gimmick to how to fix the real problem because it just simulates a player getting tired instead of making a player get tired for either sprinting or doing moves ect ect.(I know its an NCAA clip but both games have the same problem)




Glorious Arc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:53 PM.

Top -