Home

Whats the difference between all of the different physics engines?

This is a discussion on Whats the difference between all of the different physics engines? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Whats the difference between all of the different physics engines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseetitans
A lot of people think Backbreaker is nothing but an advertisement for the technology, and I'm inclined to agree that is a major motivation. I think if it's revolutionary enough, Madden could very well license their engine, and tune it to fit their style of play (implementation will be a lot easier once it has been done). That said, I'd still think that process (and I don't know anything about development) would take at least 2 development cycles.
Konami has mentioned that they will use the Euphoria engine for Pro Evolution 10... If the rumors are true and they actually ship a game, we'll get a chance to see it in action, perhaps even before Backbreaker.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 3

The whole sports gaming industry will be watching those two titles as a litmus test of sorts. How good they are will most likely facilitate how quickly other developers scramble to catch up.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
The whole sports gaming industry will be watching those two titles as a litmus test of sorts. How good they are will most likely facilitate how quickly other developers scramble to catch up.
Its an interesting situation. I feel that Euphoria's timing was a bit off. It was too late in the sense that everyone already knew what they wanted to do on the PS3 / 360... if it came out early enough then perhaps some sports titles could have used that instead of their current implementations.

Pro Evo soccer is in the position to upgrade to Euphoria simply because they've been very lazy and only ported their PS2 game to the PS3 instead of starting from scratch. That engine is so dated that it really hurts PES at this point and has allowed FIFA to catch back up. I'm really hoping that PES & Euphoria make beatufill music together.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 09:32 PM   #36
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
I don't think it's a matter of whether modern consoles can handle Euphoria in a football game. The multicore processors have hardly been tapped. GTA IV implemented it rather well for all of its movements, within a dynamic, extensive 3D world (not quite the same as Madden, but I'll get there later).

That said, I think it's a more a matter of how much time and effort a developer is willing to put towards its implementation, and whether the effort will reap substantial immediate results. This is not a put down towards the Madden team. I think they are certainly making their extremely limited development cycle worthwhile. And as far as function, I've already said that Madden can and is essentially imitating Euphoria's functions (just with less physical fidelity). If Backbreaker proves revolutionary, I certainly don't think Madden will be at all obsolete.

Also, it's worth mentioning that Backbreaker has been in development for 2-3 years. It is obvious this technology cannot be implemented overnight, and it remains to be seen how well the initial version will work. However, I don't think they'll be giving up much as far as graphically, since its engine can render higher graphical fidelity (not the same as how good it will look or art direction). Where it may be lacking, is depth, realism, and overall football A.I.
I don't know about you, but I care about those bolded items more than how "pretty and varied" the tackles are. Good post btw.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
I don't know about you, but I care about those bolded items more than how "pretty and varied" the tackles are. Good post btw.
Haha, yeah, I was just trying to be objective as possible, especially since those are unknowns as of now. I was just thinking that with time, those are natural progressions of sports gaming. They do not have to be concessions if the dev team is experienced in such areas. The bolded area is definitely what separates a repeatedly fun game from a rental.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 8

things like a.i. can be tuned a lot, as well as other things. dont think that ea would just take backbreaker's engine and have some glaring issue like lacking defenders. if they tuned it right and made it less demanding, i think it would make madden the pinnacle of football video games. with that being said, how is it that gta4, a huge city, well 3 cities, with living people that clearly arent ragdolls (unless theyre in the air, where in real life you'd not have control as well) with great a.i., beautiful cars that arent on pre scripted routes (as far as i can tell, it was far too evident in san andreas), and this is the kicker: GRAPHICS THAT LITERALLY MADE ME CRY THE FIRST TIME I POPPED IT INTO MY 360 AND STARTED THE FIRST MISSION. it may be skewed somewhat, as it was the first game i ever played on next gen, but comeon. if ian said there wasnt time, id believe it. but to say that it would put limitations on the game is something that i cannot for the life of me understand...
Old 04-22-2009, 09:49 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 35

Backbreaker has Procedural awareness.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #40
Rookie

JB0B0's Arena

OVR: 7

Euphoria is the future of gaming. It will probably take Madden years to get it because they would like to suck as much money out of us as possible so that Ian can get his range rover.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »