Home

How the QB Drop should work in Madden 10 ( Video inside )

This is a discussion on How the QB Drop should work in Madden 10 ( Video inside ) within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #41
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: How the QB Drop should work in Madden 10 ( Video inside )

Ok, still have to correct something. It is in my nature. You say in I think the third vid that "this is what happens in next gen football games". This can only be true if there are next gen football "games". I have only seen one so far as madden cannot be called next gen until they put out a game even with last gen. therefore, until further notice, it is next gen game. singular.

One thing I do not like is the blocking AI seems to concentrate on the right side DT leaving the left DT one on one. That made it so that you could move your strongest DT to the left side and get easy one on one matchups. They need to link it more to the skill level of the player than the position.

One extreme positive I wanted to point out, ANIMATIONS. First off, point out anywhere in thet game where warping was required to make n animation work. I didn't see it. If a player was out of position, they didn't make the play. They tried but failed.

If you look at the run blocking portion of the vid look at how many different animations you see in just a few plays showing a defender taking an offensive player to the ground. All that and without an "impact block" stick to do it. They used angles, physics, speed of movement, and ratings to determine the success of the block.

As for the replayablility thing, I don't play offline so I don't play APF too much anymore. Without a franchise mode it really cuts how much you can play offline. I still do throw it in every now and then for a quick game since it is the best game I have for that but without franchise it isn't nearly the game it could be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #42
Banned

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
People say this because most people who buy these games--contrary to the serious online players desire to believe--don't play online regularly if at all, and since playing online would be the only real replay value, being a serious offline player leaves them with no options.

As for the new dropbacks in Madden, you saw and read some of it in a video Ian posted back in the Winter where he was showing some he was working on. I can tell you for certain having played it, that you shouldn't be disappointed. At least I personally thought it was pretty solid. It felt great in my opinion and it, in part, really changes the very dynamic of Madden. Just that one thing makes a big difference.

Again about how Ian talked about layered blending and how it works for when QB's get hit while throwing... This too feels great. Just more things that will surprise you when you play it.

I think with Ian and Phil and the new guys heading up critical parts, they've really started to understand how subtle things can be game-changers. At this rate, if they keep it up, this game is going to be a monster. I know at least this year it's ready to hatch and monsters can grow fast so who knows how far it will have come by release date... I think people will be pretty surprised by what they see.

There are certain images I remember from playing that I can't get out of my head and it's started to affect my enjoyment of 2K5. If the finished product maintains on that level, I'm going to be indoors a whole lot more this year.
What about the QBs release and ball trajectory? Is it anyway similar to the 1st vid? Will receivers catch in stride without losing a step like in APF?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #43
MVP

OVR: 41

Just so this doesn't get confusing.....

I made the first video because of all the QB drop and Pocket concerns in Madden 10. Ian posted a video of Mo Cap of a college QB doing it so I wanted to make sure that everyone saw that it can be done correctly because it has already.

The other 2 videos are from request.

I am not trying to bash Madden but I do want to see this or better in Madden 10.

I won't get into the leagues that are around for APF 2K8 but there is plenty and even ones designed to be a Franchise Mode if you play online. If you want info hit me up.

I hope the videos serve the Madden community well and that Ian who I know plays APF and 2K5 will implement this in to Madden 10.

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #44
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrville
What about the QBs release
The vids and text Ian posted about this in his blogs are 100% true because you feel a lot of it in just the speed of the passing itself. It's much smoother and natural due to all the weight and momentum work he's done (and I'm certain that Donny's ratings work intertwines) combined with the new pass speeds he's told us about. It all ties in very well.

http://insideblog.easports.com/archi...en-nfl-10.aspx

There's also another part to it that I can't talk about, but I know you're going to love it when you see it.

Anyway, when you throw the football in Madden 10 (on your first pass because that's how quickly you'll notice the difference) you'll be asking yourself "is this actually Madden?". I know I did.

Quote:
and ball trajectory?
I'm not 100% sure about this one. I didn't feel like I was trying to aim a Patriot missle this year though, so that's a good sign, lol. I think some of what's in this blog gives some insight as to where they're going with that:

http://insideblog.easports.com/archi...en-nfl-10.aspx

Quote:
Will receivers catch in stride without losing a step like in APF?
I could actually do that in 09 sometimes, of course the problem there was that the receiver would artifically speed up to make a catch rather than just letting the ball hit the ground. In the Madden 10 Alpha, I can say that I never saw a receiver artificially speed up off a break to make a catch on a ball that should've instead hit the ground. So the vids Ian showed of the receivers speed being steady (he showed it through the animations in those vids) is the same as what you'll see in Madden 10.

The WR/DB interaction is a lot stronger, because I saw DB's cutting the inside off (or the outside depending on the spot) when they knew the receivers momentum and positioning was carrying them that way (which can be attributed to better AI as well) so that those fake speed-ups would be shutdown anyway if they still existed.

Some of the defensive AI really frustrated me, but in a good way. I really had to say to myself "Okay, maybe I should stop throwing over there, I think they've figured me out." That's part of what the adaptive AI model is all about.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #45
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
There are certain images I remember from playing that I can't get out of my head and it's started to affect my enjoyment of 2K5. If the finished product maintains on that level, I'm going to be indoors a whole lot more this year.
You and me both, boss. I never said it b/c I didn't want to sound too giddy on a message board. But Ian was dead on when he said stuff never before seen...that "stuff" in itself has made it hard to continue to entertain 2K5. I still play without a doubt, but I find myself looking forward to August quite a bit.

Disclaimer: that's not to say that I can immediately call Madden 10 better than 2K5. It's too early to run with those sort of statements. But it's 5 years later...and I'm happy to think that I'll be able to move on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
You and me both, boss. I never said it b/c I didn't want to sound too giddy on a message board. But Ian was dead on when he said stuff never before seen...that "stuff" in itself has made it hard to continue to entertain 2K5. I still play without a doubt, but I find myself looking forward to August quite a bit.

Disclaimer: that's not to say that I can immediately call Madden 10 better than 2K5. It's too early to run with those sort of statements. But it's 5 years later...and I'm happy to think that I'll be able to move on.
You guys are making me believe in Madden 10

I might have to break my own rule and buy it at midnight LOL.

I still hope we see what I posted or better in Madden 10!

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!
Old 04-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 5

I dont like the notion of not being in total control of the QB, but if the blocking in Madden worked more realistically like this, that by itself would encourage people to drop back and pass properly.

Think about it, if someone takes a quick drop and tries to quick pass while the offensive line is blocking for a 7 step drop, the defense will be able to blow up the A and B gaps because the tackles are spreading out for a deep drop.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLHITMAN
You guys are making me believe in Madden 10

I might have to break my own rule and buy it at midnight LOL.

I still hope we see what I posted or better in Madden 10!
NFLHITTMAN,

After watching your videos, which by the way are great, I had a question pertaining to the automatic drop backs. I certaintly like the idea of the auto drop back, it looks very, very realistic. My question is this.

Are bootlegs part of APF and if so are they autolized as well? And if so when do you as the player regain control of the quarterback? Also, what about playaction bootlegging? Thanks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »