Home

Old 04-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Coffin Corner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
But if you put ratings on pinning people deep, how does that translate to the user when you are punting? I understand that the rating can do wonders for CPU punters, but if I am punting, I control the angle of the punt, the trajectory and the power I'm putting into it. I don't think you can add a rating that will make me better at pinning teams deep...because you cant control those factors with a rating...but, bring back the coffin corner minigame...it was fun to practice pinning them deep.
The key here is user control (stick skills as some people on here call it) should not override ratings. I don't care how perfectly you time the button press, deven hester should never truck albert haynseworth. I don't care how well you time the button press a 5'9" corner with 60 jump rating should never outjump fitz.

Same should go for kicking. I don't care how perfectly you time your pressing up on the stick or how clean and straight your motion is it should never override the accuracy ratings.

An extremely simple way of making these ratings matter, making the kick game less of a 100% garunteed things, and making the game more realistic without even having to change the basic mechanic for the kick game is keep the same mechanics for button press (move stick back to start and then forward to kick) but rather than having the kick go in whatever direction you press the stick make a range or direction centered on that direction.

The size of this range would then be determined by the kicker's accuracy rating. If you have a 99 kick accuracy, it should be easy to put that ball where you want it or very close. If you have an average accuracy (60 after ratings spreading) then the size of the range of direction spread might be more like a 15 or even 30 degree spead. The actual direction would then fall randomly in that area so there would be a real chance of missing a long field goal to the side or of shanking a punt or whatever and ratings would actually matter for the user punters and kickers.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBernard
Agreed it needs to be in, but don't really see it as a "back of the box" type feature, so IAO, it would have already been addressed if fixed..

maybe next year
Andy didn't talk in the 3rd person.....this is a great day for America..........thank you.....thank you......

Currently Playing: Mortal Kombat & Portal 2
Old 04-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #19
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
The key here is user control (stick skills as some people on here call it) should not override ratings. I don't care how perfectly you time the button press, deven hester should never truck albert haynseworth. I don't care how well you time the button press a 5'9" corner with 60 jump rating should never outjump fitz.

Same should go for kicking. I don't care how perfectly you time your pressing up on the stick or how clean and straight your motion is it should never override the accuracy ratings.

An extremely simple way of making these ratings matter, making the kick game less of a 100% garunteed things, and making the game more realistic without even having to change the basic mechanic for the kick game is keep the same mechanics for button press (move stick back to start and then forward to kick) but rather than having the kick go in whatever direction you press the stick make a range or direction centered on that direction.

The size of this range would then be determined by the kicker's accuracy rating. If you have a 99 kick accuracy, it should be easy to put that ball where you want it or very close. If you have an average accuracy (60 after ratings spreading) then the size of the range of direction spread might be more like a 15 or even 30 degree spead. The actual direction would then fall randomly in that area so there would be a real chance of missing a long field goal to the side or of shanking a punt or whatever and ratings would actually matter for the user punters and kickers.
This is true that "stick skills" shouldn't override ratings...however, you can't just add a rating for "Inside 20" for punters, because those things are handled:
1) by the user--as I've said in this thread before, I handle trajectory, angle, power, etc...
2) by the accuracy rating you are talking about--we don't need another rating (we have plenty of those already--Run Block and Run Block Footwork...really?) to control if I can get it to bounce out at the 2 yard line...the accuracy should dictate if I can pinpoint where the ball goes, not a "Corner Punt" rating...
Old 04-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
This is true that "stick skills" shouldn't override ratings...however, you can't just add a rating for "Inside 20" for punters, because those things are handled:
1) by the user--as I've said in this thread before, I handle trajectory, angle, power, etc...
2) by the accuracy rating you are talking about--we don't need another rating (we have plenty of those already--Run Block and Run Block Footwork...really?) to control if I can get it to bounce out at the 2 yard line...the accuracy should dictate if I can pinpoint where the ball goes, not a "Corner Punt" rating...
I agree that there doesn't need to be an "inside 20" rating. Maybe an accuracy for trajectory could be added separate from accuracy for angle. The trajectory could be handled in the same way as the angle although the room for error would be different in the two and some definite tuning would need to be done. The angle and trajectory should be what determines where the punt goes. The ratings as I have described would effect trajectory and angle and therefore would effect where the punt goes.

As far as this "we have enough ratings" thing goes, I would disagree. I can see a lot of ratings that should be added. As far as the run block and run block footwork, and run block strength those are redundant. Run block should be removed and the other two should remain. Talking to donny I have gotten the impression they are moving in this direction phasing out the run block rating. Pretty sure he said all it handles anymore is some of the stats when simming so they are moving in the direction of fully replacing it.

I see the same happening to things like throw accuracy, awareness, break tackle and maybe even catch and could see reason to do so with strength, injury, route running, release/press, and most other ratings in the game.

Last edited by kcarr; 04-23-2009 at 01:55 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »