Home

Old 04-25-2009, 03:47 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Unrealistic expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthreemafia
It's become quite obvious over the past month that while Madden has left ALOT to be desired, that this game will probably never live up to standards because people have set up unrealistic expectations for it.

And on top of that, it seems like a ton of people on here want to see Madden fail.

For example, when the franchise blog came out, and basically only told us the core fixes of the game, people freaked because it didnt list any mindblowing features. Even though the blog CLEARLY stated that there was alot more franchise info left to unveal, TO THIS DAY I still see people crying that franchise mode is not going to be better because of the blog.

Now, with the trailer. Were there alot of things wrong in the trailer? Absolutely, but even Ian has ADMITTED as much. But its obvious when you hear people say there isnt much improvement over 09 shown in the trailer that they are being completely ignorant.

I have been one of Madden's biggest critics over the years, and I have bashed EA for the mediocrity they have released over the past 4 years. The difference is, Ive waited until I actually played the game before Ive done so. Alot of people on here are bashing the game like theyve already played it, when all theyve seen are a few snapshots, and a video of the Alpha build of the game. If you look at the Alpha build of ANY game, you are bound to find flaws. Yet, people are still dense enough to believe that this is what the final product is going to be like. All I can say to that is wow.

Its like EA is trying to climb out of a pit, and the people on this board are lowering a rope for them to get out of it. But every time they get closer to the rope, people on here pull it away.

Im not saying Madden 2010 will be any better than previous installments, but take a step back and look at reality...

-People who have ACTUALLY PLAYED the alpha build have said the game is much improved, yet people who know very little about the game are trying to say it wont be any better based on a few screenshots and a trailer. Pessimism at its finest.

-They still have two months to work on everything, so while there are still flaws, they still have time to correct alot of them.

-Learn to accept this fact: Madden 2010 will NOT be the perfect football game. People on here seem to expect everything to be perfect after one year. The world wasnt built in one day, and Madden in its current state (Madden 09) cant be perfected in one year.

Ian and the EA staff have been very forthright with us and have VERY OBVIOUSLY been listening, yet some people seem to be very ungreatful.

And please dont say "I dont have to be greatful, I pay 60 dollars for the game". Well, for one, if you dont like the game, dont pay for it. Thats not EA's fault...thats yours.

Secondly, this is obviously a completely different direction than previous years. Can someone point out, in past years, when EA has ever been this interactive with the community.

And one question I am dying to have answered by someone who is bashing the game right now is this...

NAME ME ONE YEAR IN MADDEN's 21 year history that there has been a leap in terms of improvement as big as the one that appears to be coming between 2009 and 2010.

And no, I am not talking about jumps on consoles (like Madden 2000 on PS1 to Madden 2001 on PS2) I mean on the the same console.

We have yet to see any real gameplay footage, or anything close to the final build, nor do we have all the info on improvements in presentation and franchise mode, and I can already say, this will EASILY be the biggest leap from one year to the next.

And please, haters...dont bother calling me a Maddenite or a fanboy, because I am the furthest thing. I just have enough logic to wait until I have all the info or play the game before I start taking my swings.

Its funny how many people are already proclaiming Backbreaker to be better than Madden, even though there is absolutely no real info out on it. People just assume because the movements look more natural that the game will be better. Heh...sorry, no.

Sorry for the rant, but its getting to the point where you dont even want to post here because people are so pessimistic and whine about every little thing. You think you are "helping" but you arent.

There is a big difference between crying about whats wrong and providing constructive criticism. What guys like the ones who went to the community day event did was constructive criticism. I doubt Ian and company wouldve listen to them if they said things like "Why are the players running so stiff? Same old Madden. Never gonna pay for it if you dont fix it"

Bottom line is this....Madden seems to be making huge strides this year compared to previous years, but in the end, its not going to be perfect. To those saying they arent improving the game much, please dont post here or buy the game. Wait for the "Madden crusher" BackBreaker to come out.

Just have a little faith and patience. Madden 2010 wont be perfect by any means, but if its a huge step in the right direction, focus on the improvments and look forward towards the future. If Madden 2010 isnt up to standards, dont buy it and wait for Madden 2011, or like I said, just forget about the Madden franchise altogether.

All the best.
I agree with you that there are a lot of people crying over this stuff and that it isn't helping any. But at the same time we have people here that are acting like everything is perfect so far when clearly there are still some issues with this game.

Maybe Ian and the crew won't admit it, but the current engine has pretty much been complete garbage as far as using it for a football game goes. The fact is Madden next gen came out of the gates slow and is still trying to catch up. I don't know if it was because people had different ideas on how a football was suppose to work over there at EA, but it has been a jumbled mess and it reflected in their product.

I mean were still hoping they get the player models right. I don't blame this on Ian, or anyone specifically for that matter, but it seems like every year they have to start over on them and at this point in maddens next gen life that's just not right. It's not like they wanted to have to do it, there just wasn't a clear vision at the time, or we would have never had to see 250 pound ripped kickers that where all over the place in the early days. Another example of this is the nintendo wii version with it's new art direction.. it simply sucks.

Can these guys throw down a good football game this year? Sure, and I fully expect it to be better then last years efforts. My problem with the whole thing is how and why did they screw up so bad from the get go. Why are we having huge threads about how the running animation sucks when the 5th game is coming out in a matter of months.

It might not be fair to Ian and his team at EA, but they have to overcome 4 years of what we all seem to agree is complete garbage of a football game. They have to earn back our trust in their product, and the good thing is they know this, and that is a good first step.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:57 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondock18
I agree with you that there are a lot of people crying over this stuff and that it isn't helping any. But at the same time we have people here that are acting like everything is perfect so far when clearly there are still some issues with this game.

Maybe Ian and the crew won't admit it, but the current engine has pretty much been complete garbage as far as using it for a football game goes. The fact is Madden next gen came out of the gates slow and is still trying to catch up. I don't know if it was because people had different ideas on how a football was suppose to work over there at EA, but it has been a jumbled mess and it reflected in their product.

I mean were still hoping they get the player models right. I don't blame this on Ian, or anyone specifically for that matter, but it seems like every year they have to start over on them and at this point in maddens next gen life that's just not right. It's not like they wanted to have to do it, there just wasn't a clear vision at the time, or we would have never had to see 250 pound ripped kickers that where all over the place in the early days. Another example of this is the nintendo wii version with it's new art direction.. it simply sucks.

Can these guys throw down a good football game this year? Sure, and I fully expect it to be better then last years efforts. My problem with the whole thing is how and why did they screw up so bad from the get go. Why are we having huge threads about how the running animation sucks when the 5th game is coming out in a matter of months.

It might not be fair to Ian and his team at EA, but they have to overcome 4 years of what we all seem to agree is complete garbage of a football game. They have to earn back our trust in their product, and the good thing is they know this, and that is a good first step.

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

But this seems to be a new direction.

If things seemed to be running the same or we were seeing the same old, same old, I wouldnt be optimistic at all. But the fact is, this isnt "same old. same old", and anyone saying it is is blind or ignorant.

My only issue is how alot of people seem to be approaching this. I realize that some of these people are kids that dont know better, but some of them are adults acting like children.

I have no problem with someone criticizing the game. Thats fine. But alot of people on here seem to not even care what Madden is doing right...they just focus on what they dont like and instead of providing constructive critisism, they bash the game or EA.

I agree EA has to prove that they are really changing things, but I think alot of people need to lighten up and realize that not everything is going to be perfect for Madden 2010, and hold their bashing and claiming that Backbreaker is better (that still cracks me up), until we have a better feeling about the game.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:46 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 5

Is it really that terrible of the community to ask for a better product? The thing is bud, i've found madden players to be very attached to this game. It's a drug we all got hooked on a long time ago, and it was an awesome drug. Now all of a sudden that drug has been withheld(for a long time, the past few years have really sucked). And the cravings have just gotten stronger and stronger. Its now boiling to the point where there is nothing but pessimism. Look at me, i've been lurking for a long time. This is my first friggin post. I just cant take it anymore.

Madden 09 I feel was a big time step in the right direction, and its come the closest to giving me that "buzz."

I dont think you should be directing your anger and people who are simply just sick of crap. Just bc they think backbreaker or whatever is better, or the 2k series are better, that doesnt mean they hate madden. They want IT to be better, now im not saying everyone, but i get the feeling the majority of the community does want madden to succeed. Hence the interaction between everyone. Just bc EA admitted they were to blame on somethings, doesnt mean that they are off the hook. The bottom line is if I commit a crime, I dont get off the hook just because I admit to doing it.

I'm disappointed in the trailer as well. How can I not be? I havent played the game, sure, you're right with that. But the thing is I didnt see anything even remotely interesting. Sure they have time, but the game is what 5 weeks from going into production? I dont understand what that means, but what i get out of it is that not much is gonna change. Sure you might polish up but is that really going to be enough to seperate it from your latest effort?

You know i remember as a kid i was sitting in my parents basement with madden 00, and four buddies. We were all doing the same franchise as different teams from the same division. We started at 8pm and we played til 3am. That night I remember we had a conversation on how sick madden would be in the future. We would say "oh in madden 08 they're gonna probably have ______," "or you'll be able to do ______!" Our mini future madden fantasy went on for hours. But then again we were kids, and the madden of the time was really the best football game OF that time. We dared to dream, because what we had was awesome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2009, 05:30 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift9k
Is it really that terrible of the community to ask for a better product? The thing is bud, i've found madden players to be very attached to this game. It's a drug we all got hooked on a long time ago, and it was an awesome drug. Now all of a sudden that drug has been withheld(for a long time, the past few years have really sucked). And the cravings have just gotten stronger and stronger. Its now boiling to the point where there is nothing but pessimism. Look at me, i've been lurking for a long time. This is my first friggin post. I just cant take it anymore.

Madden 09 I feel was a big time step in the right direction, and its come the closest to giving me that "buzz."

I dont think you should be directing your anger and people who are simply just sick of crap. Just bc they think backbreaker or whatever is better, or the 2k series are better, that doesnt mean they hate madden. They want IT to be better, now im not saying everyone, but i get the feeling the majority of the community does want madden to succeed. Hence the interaction between everyone. Just bc EA admitted they were to blame on somethings, doesnt mean that they are off the hook. The bottom line is if I commit a crime, I dont get off the hook just because I admit to doing it.

I'm disappointed in the trailer as well. How can I not be? I havent played the game, sure, you're right with that. But the thing is I didnt see anything even remotely interesting. Sure they have time, but the game is what 5 weeks from going into production? I dont understand what that means, but what i get out of it is that not much is gonna change. Sure you might polish up but is that really going to be enough to seperate it from your latest effort?

You know i remember as a kid i was sitting in my parents basement with madden 00, and four buddies. We were all doing the same franchise as different teams from the same division. We started at 8pm and we played til 3am. That night I remember we had a conversation on how sick madden would be in the future. We would say "oh in madden 08 they're gonna probably have ______," "or you'll be able to do ______!" Our mini future madden fantasy went on for hours. But then again we were kids, and the madden of the time was really the best football game OF that time. We dared to dream, because what we had was awesome.
Its one thing to ASK for a better product and providing helpful suggestions and constructive criticism to help them in doing so.

Its another thing to bash the Alpha build of the game and focusing on every little negative thing you possibly can, which alot of people on this board do.

We all want a better product, but I dont see how bashing EA and being pessimistic every chance you (not YOU you, just in general) get helps improve the game. Ian has already stated he doesnt even read posts where people cry about how bad it is. He reads the ones that are well thought out and presented maturely.

So, even if a person has the best idea in the world, Ian and company will never read it if its just a bunch of whining and not well thought out.

And as far as expectations, thats just reality. No matter how much we hope for it, Madden isnt going to where is SHOULD be next year. Im not telling people they have to be happy about it, but at least wait until more info and video is out about the game before writing it off.

And this wasnt anger at all. I dont care if people like 2K more. At this point, 2K is better. BUT, I laugh at anyone who says BB is better when there is absolutely no way of knowing that. People just see the pretty movements of the players and assume its going to be better.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:50 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 5

In the end i'm all for something that makes the game better. Its just hard to force common sense into people sometimes. I give a little lenience because its something that we are all passionate about. I will pass final judgement when I have it in front of me. I will most likely get it opening day. I need to know if all the work the back and forth they have been doing pays off.

All in all, Im tired of the hate too. Just give us a good game EA. I swear we can all be just as loving.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:53 AM   #14
Banned

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift9k

Beautiful post.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:39 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0

I think you will all be somewhat surprised come august.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #16
MVP

MelMan1486's Arena

OVR: 12

While I agree some people have unrealistic expectations I have to say that Madden on the next gen has been sub par so far. They are heading in the right direction and I think Madden 10 is going to be an improvement but it's not going to be a perfect game. There's only so much you can do in a year.

And yes there are some people who are just never satisfied and complain just to complain. I mean to say you're not going to buy Madden JUST because it doesn't have colored cleats is crazy. Then from time to time there are those who say it's so unrealistic, those guys would even call real football unrealistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »