Home

Last-Gen Play Call screens!!!

This is a discussion on Last-Gen Play Call screens!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #73
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Last-Gen Play Call screens!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
LOL.

My mistake. I was meaning to say that there doesn't appear to be a way to know how many you have unless you pause, whereas with 09's you could see how many you had in playcall at all times. I don't see anything for challenges either.
Oh I see... well, you get all that info in the PS2 game so I would be shocked if they left it out here... lets chalk it up to "early build" and wait for the next video... but I'm sure the info will be there... probably on a strip along the top where you get your constant data that never leaves the screen:

QTR
Time
Score
Ball Position
Down and Distance
Play Clock
TOs Remaining
Challenges Remaining
Wind direction.. maybe.

Anything else?
Old 04-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #74
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
LOL.

My mistake. I was meaning to say that there doesn't appear to be a way to know how many you have unless you pause, whereas with 09's you could see how many you had in playcall at all times. I don't see anything for challenges either.
In our CD build, we were able to see how many timeouts both team had in the play call screen. Just saying .
Old 04-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #75
Pro

OVR: 18

Quote:
Even for timeouts and challenges? Using pause just feels like an unnecessary break. They gotta at least let us call timeout from playcall, lol.
edit- already corrected.

I think I remember in Madden 08. I needed to wait for a shot of the scoreboard to see how many timeouts I had left!! LOL

Last edited by bang911; 04-27-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #76
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang911
edit- already corrected.

I think I remember in Madden 07 or 08. I needed to wait for a shot of the scoreboard to see how many timeouts I had left. LOL
Brutal
Old 04-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #77
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
In our CD build, we were able to see how many timeouts both team had in the play call screen. Just saying .

^^^
I seem to recall that, too... so what happened to it?
Old 04-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #78
Rookie

Beardown's Arena

OVR: 5

I hear the people who are saying they just want to call plays, but that was the beauty of the PIP EA took a simple play call screen and turned into something so useful. I happen to be a stat junkie. When I play as a safety my attention is downfield and if I get a sack many times I would not see who sacked the QB, with the PIP as I searched for my next play I could watch the small replay box and find out. When I brought the heat with a LB blitz did my DL or blitzing LBers get the sack, watch the PIP and you know.

There were many games when Urlacher seemed like he was making every tackle and I wanted to know what his total was so I could look quickly while the clock was still running, within the PIP. The announcers never mention that he is having a great game with 15 tackles, rarely would a stat overlay show this. As Watcher has pointed out the game will never know which guys stats we may be interested in at any given point.

I guess the biggest reason I loved the PIP was I could get this done while the game clock would still be running as opposed to pausing the game which just makes the game take longer to finish. I am one of the huge proponents for in-game saves as the game takes long enough to complete without pauses. I play on the hardcore setting so I do not have replays popping up to add to the length of the game, as a father this is unfortunately necessary.

I will live with the old play call screen but I will just have to go back to no replays and no checking stats until the game is over. Not a game breaker but strange decision to not somehow incorporate its usefulness into the old play call screen, maybe in the way Watcher has suggested.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #79
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
You don't use buttons for this. It's Right and Left stick commands. Same as 09.
Looks like the right stick chooses packages now, so you can't use that. Left stick is going to navigate plays, just like it did on the playcall screen you like. The only viable option I see from that screen is clicking the right/left stick or using up/down on the right stick. Looks like all the other buttons are occupied.

Personally, I don't really see the difference is moving the stick 3-4 times versus hitting Pause and then choosing replay, which is generally the first option. I also look at replays maybe 2-3 times a game.

You can call timeouts by pressing Select at anytime.

Quote:
That's not really the point though. If you need to see stats at any given time, you can't rely on the game to give you that because it's simply impossible for the game to display all stats that you need at any given moment. That would require some kind of mind-reading peripheral (which believe it or not Atari did do and there is actually a more advance version being worked on... I saw it on 60 minutes last year, no joke).

Secondly, I'm not asking for the small replay window again. That sucked. I'm talking about being able to toggle to and click the stick to bring up a replay without pausing. I shouldn't have to pause to bring up a replay.
What stats do you need to see that often that you can't get them at the quarter break or even the half? Can't you remember that your WR/RB is playing well, or that you are shutting down their RB?

I love the stats and love playing franchise mode because of them, but I'm perfectly good with seeing them at the half and end of the game, as long as I get pop-ups during the game for key players.

Again, toggle/click stick versus press Start and click X = you say tomato and I say toMAto. If you averaged out the button presses versus stick moves/clicks over 5 games, they would be equal.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #80
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Well, we're able to still press select at any time for a T.O. right? If not, then I agree with that. With challenges, I don't mind pressing pause for one of those.
This raises another question... if the idea was to make it "simpler" because the casuals aren't as hip to all the commands, would it be wise for them to assume that a person like that would know to press select to call a Timeout? I'd think having the command present would speak more to their goal than not having one.

Hmmmmmmmm...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »