Home

Last-Gen Play Call screens!!!

This is a discussion on Last-Gen Play Call screens!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #81
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Last-Gen Play Call screens!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown
I hear the people who are saying they just want to call plays, but that was the beauty of the PIP EA took a simple play call screen and turned into something so useful. I happen to be a stat junkie. When I play as a safety my attention is downfield and if I get a sack many times I would not see who sacked the QB, with the PIP as I searched for my next play I could watch the small replay box and find out. When I brought the heat with a LB blitz did my DL or blitzing LBers get the sack, watch the PIP and you know.

There were many games when Urlacher seemed like he was making every tackle and I wanted to know what his total was so I could look quickly while the clock was still running, within the PIP. The announcers never mention that he is having a great game with 15 tackles, rarely would a stat overlay show this. As Watcher has pointed out the game will never know which guys stats we may be interested in at any given point.

I guess the biggest reason I loved the PIP was I could get this done while the game clock would still be running as opposed to pausing the game which just makes the game take longer to finish. I am one of the huge proponents for in-game saves as the game takes long enough to complete without pauses. I play on the hardcore setting so I do not have replays popping up to add to the length of the game, as a father this is unfortunately necessary.

I will live with the old play call screen but I will just have to go back to no replays and no checking stats until the game is over. Not a game breaker but strange decision to not somehow incorporate its usefulness into the old play call screen, maybe in the way Watcher has suggested.
My point is that if you get a sack, the game should throw up a TV-style replay that shows this off. This is better for the overall presentation and tells you what you want to know.

If Urlacher is having a big game and getting a lot of tackles, the game should show this in TV-style presentation with a pop-up graphic at some point.

In game saves, a must for me as well, would enable you to enjoy the TV-style presentation and still be able to finish your games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #82
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
This raises another question... if the idea was to make it "simpler" because the casuals aren't as hip to all the commands, would it be wise for them to assume that a person like that would know to press select to call a Timeout? I'd think having the command present would speak more to their goal than not having one.

Hmmmmmmmm...
They could always...dare I say it... read the manual

I'd say that 90% of Madden gamers know that "Select" calls TO. Not only that but that's been the way to call TO in just about every football game to date... its one of the only universal commands out there.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #83
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
They could always...dare I say it... read the manual
Pssshhhh... these manuals are thinner than those pamphlets you'd get in a City clinic.

Whatever happened to the good 'ol days when having a good information filled manual meant 50 thick pages of tree kill'in?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #84

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

Like the last gen play calling screen. nice to see it back in the mix.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #85
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Pssshhhh... these manuals are thinner than those pamphlets you'd get in a City clinic.

Whatever happened to the good 'ol days when having a good information filled manual meant 50 thick pages of tree kill'in?
lol I know.

I too miss the days of the 30+ page manuals.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #86
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
lol I know.

I too miss the days of the 30+ page manuals.
Great sh1tter reading material

The best were the Sega manuals, they were in COLOR!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »