Home

Need my football fix-Should I pick up 09 again?

This is a discussion on Need my football fix-Should I pick up 09 again? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #49
In Dalton I Trust

Buckeyes_Doc's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Need my football fix-Should I pick up 09 again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juk34man
You put off those games like they were terrible, I kno that they are not terrible so obviously you perfer "realism"....Soo I pointed out that Madden is close as "real" as thosr games I named with there lack of Stamina....Oh there is alot I can name thats weong with the game but this one is the biggest sore and can easily go unnoticed by a casual gamer...Not saying that you didnt know...

Point is Fatigue is a MUST in sports games even in baseball!!!

BTW this is off topic but posting in this thread made me go search that old Konami NFL Football for the SNES on youtube....I love that game when I was little! I just notice it had commentary!!!!!! That game came out in '93!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets see Backyard football is 7 on 7, with players playing as kids in various locations.

Madden is 11 on 11 (How football really is played) with actual players playing as themselves.

You cant compare these two games. Yes Madden has its flaws but to say its as realistic as a kid video game with only 7 players is going overboard in my opinion.

And I consider myself more than just a causal gamer, why did say I was? Because I thought Madden 09 was a decent game? Which it was, yes it had no fatigue, robo qb, and the list goes on but it was an improvement over the past few maddens that have been out.

Madden is finally going in the right direction, they have a long way to go but they are starting to get there.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #50
Banned

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
That's honestly my only problem with the game. I can't stand watching average to mediocre QB's complete pass after pass with no incompletions. It's so annoying. It doesn't matter what play call, what players you have on defense, none of that helps. Quaterbacks just complete pass after pass like it's practice. I'm ready to throw that piece of ish in the garbage.
Sell it on ebay!
Old 04-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKoz26
If there was one word to describe APF 2k8, it would be "chessmatch". I don't know if that is supposed to be one word or two words, but for the sake of the phrase I will leave it as one. Here's why:

In APF, everything is based off of matchups and playcalling. Period. To the Colts fan who hates the game, you probably never played in a quality league or even against a quality opponent. When you play somebody who understands the game of football who does not take advantage of the flaws of the game, you will find yourself in a chessmatch. The game is about guessing your opponent's next move. If they are running cover three, you throw an out route. Cover 2? Tight End slant. They stack the box? Play action pass. The game is amazing for a real football fan with an appreciation for the logic of football. It actually translates the football that you watch every sunday into a video game. The animations are awesome, the abilities and signature styles capture the feel of the legends greatly, and the endless team possibilities are what gives this game its replay value.

But, it is a matter of preference. If you like fast in your face action, then play something else. APF gets down to the nitty gritty of football. Line play, *gasp* wrap up tackles, and, best of all, no roll back twenty yards bomb it 50 is even possible. Just try it out OP.

Oh yeah, and to the guy calling out my intelligence, have fun with the infraction.

Here's a little bit showing you my "fan boy"-ism.

All the sports games I've owned since 2002:
-Madden 2003 PS2 + Gamecube-Madden 2005 PS2-Madden 2006 PS2-Madden 2007 PS2-Madden 2008 PS2 + 360-Madden 2009 360-NBA Live 2004 PS2-NBA Live 2005 PS2-NBA Live 2006 PS2-NBA Live 2007 PS2-NBA Live 2008 PS2-MVP Baseball 2004 Gamecube-MVP Baseball 2005 Gamecube + PS2-NFL 2k5 XBOX (only played it on 360)-APF 2k8 360-NBA 2k8 360-NBA 2k9 360-Nascar 07 PS2-Nascar 08 PS2-Nascar 09 360-MLB 2k8 360

There were a few oddballs thrown in there that I didn't mention but these are the only 2k/EA games I've bought recently.

Feedback Brandon?

And no, I'm not trying to go 2k/EA, but I want to give the OP my opinion game on which football game to buy.

EDIT: I forgot NCAA March Madness 06 PS2-NCAA Football 06 PS2 -NCAA Football 07 PS2-NCAA Football 09 360
+1111111111111111111

APF rules.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #52
Banned

OVR: 13

No... i tried it again a few weeks back.

Franchise mode is just too boring... i play on HoF level which might be the reason my rookies don't get the stats to progress but it's just too frustrating and it just isn't as rewarding as a game that takes that much time to play should be.

It's fine for the odd 1 on 1 with a mate but anything other than that and it becomes painfully repetitive (same animations, same lousy blocking, same robo qb, same monotonous franchise mode).

Actually writing this is inspiring me to try superstar mode... haven't tried it on 09 yet but i found it boring on 08 and read it hadn't changed at all for 09 so yeah im gonna try superstar mode- Probably a safety in the ed reed mold.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #53
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKoz26
If there was one word to describe APF 2k8, it would be "chessmatch". I don't know if that is supposed to be one word or two words, but for the sake of the phrase I will leave it as one. Here's why:

In APF, everything is based off of matchups and playcalling. Period. To the Colts fan who hates the game, you probably never played in a quality league or even against a quality opponent. When you play somebody who understands the game of football who does not take advantage of the flaws of the game, you will find yourself in a chessmatch. The game is about guessing your opponent's next move. If they are running cover three, you throw an out route. Cover 2? Tight End slant. They stack the box? Play action pass. The game is amazing for a real football fan with an appreciation for the logic of football. It actually translates the football that you watch every sunday into a video game. The animations are awesome, the abilities and signature styles capture the feel of the legends greatly, and the endless team possibilities are what gives this game its replay value.

But, it is a matter of preference. If you like fast in your face action, then play something else. APF gets down to the nitty gritty of football. Line play, *gasp* wrap up tackles, and, best of all, no roll back twenty yards bomb it 50 is even possible. Just try it out OP.

Oh yeah, and to the guy calling out my intelligence, have fun with the infraction.

Here's a little bit showing you my "fan boy"-ism.

All the sports games I've owned since 2002:
-Madden 2003 PS2 + Gamecube-Madden 2005 PS2-Madden 2006 PS2-Madden 2007 PS2-Madden 2008 PS2 + 360-Madden 2009 360-NBA Live 2004 PS2-NBA Live 2005 PS2-NBA Live 2006 PS2-NBA Live 2007PS2-NBA Live 2008 PS2-MVP Baseball 2004 Gamecube-MVP Baseball 2005Gamecube + PS2-NFL 2k5 XBOX (only played it on 360)-APF 2k8 360-NBA 2k8 360-NBA 2k9 360-Nascar 07 PS2-Nascar 08 PS2-Nascar 09 360-MLB 2k8 360

There were a few oddballs thrown in there that I didn't mention but these are the only 2k/EA games I've bought recently.

Feedback Brandon?

And no, I'm not trying to go 2k/EA, but I want to give the OP my opinion game on which football game to buy.

EDIT: I forgot NCAA March Madness 06 PS2-NCAA Football 06 PS2 -NCAA Football 07 PS2-NCAA Football 09 360
See but I have played in a few leagues and the games have not been "chess matches" they have required less planning and thinking then Madden does( for me)...

I appreciate the strategy and logic that goes into real Football( who doesn't) but I have not experienced this in the APF game any more than in Madden, its not like I see a guy with 3 WR and stay in 4-3 or go to 46, in any football game you see what the D or O calls then change the play accordingly( if necessary) at least that is how I play both of these video games and just have not enjoyed APF at all....

Believe me I wanted this game to be great because it had so much potential but the "dumbed" down presetation and I honestly wasn't a big fan of the gameplay.... reallly killed it for me sure it has great customization, which I had a lot of fun with once or twice I made the Colts with Johnny U, Raymond Berry, Lenny Moore, Art Dononovan, etc. but besides that the offline modes are horrible, and I don't buy a game so I can play every moment I play of it online....like I said I have played in a few leagues but have not been impressed at all...

I don't know if the comment about someone calling out your intellegence was towards me but if so I never called it out and shame to the person that did if it wasn't directed towards me....

I do agree a lot of the animations are great...I am not saying everything about this game is bad but as a game overall IMO it is not a very good game

Now that I am arguing with someone about it again I am going to have to go back and play it some more (as I do everytime I get in an argument about it, hopefully this time I'm not dissapointed....)

Currently Playing: Mortal Kombat & Portal 2

Last edited by Brandon_c993; 04-27-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 3

Resist temptation
Old 04-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #55
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Ugh.. APF. Give me 2k5 any day. APF is a chess match? C'mon, the coverage is horrid. Get something toward the sideline and the defense doesn't know how to handle it. Lines can't block 3-steps, drives me nuts (given, Madden 10 has this same problem, but it's being corrected, I'm sure). Every other passing play in the book is a mesh of some sort. 75% of the routes in the playbooks are some sort of drag.

Furthermore, the cut scenes of 2k5 were far more entertaining than the occasional guy going out of bounds into the interactive sidelines.

2k5 is the greatest football game ever made, it blows away any Madden and APF.

Positives about APF are an outstanding create-a-team, animations were awesome, the gamespeed felt awesome, and where there weren't glitches, it played as well as 2k5... but that line issue and that sideline coverage issue were too tough to overcome.

Also didn't like the kicking system, but admittedly, that's just because I sucked at it :P

I am seriously considering getting the equipment necessary to get updated 2k5 rosters and using that for my pre-M10 fix, but I'll probably just stick with Head Coach.

Oh, one good thing about APF, the thing that still has me popping it in now and then: I don't get annoyed by out-of-date rosters:P

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #56
Rookie

ThrillzNSkillz's Arena

OVR: 2

I use to think NFL2k5 was the best ever, but played it recently, and geez, the coverage is horrible (APF2k8 was better - but Adembroskis right, theres still bad coverage ).

I also too use to great graphics now, so going back to 2k5 aint happening. Madden09, with all its flaws, is still a good game (bit boring yes..)... Head Coach 09 is good !

August will be here soon, or not soon enough...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »