Home

Hiding the overall rating in franchise mode yea or nay ?

This is a discussion on Hiding the overall rating in franchise mode yea or nay ? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Overall rating, to hide or not to hide
Show the overall rating in every mode 46 34.85%
Don't show the overall rating in franchise mode only 46 34.85%
Get rid of the overall rating all together 40 30.30%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Hiding the overall rating in franchise mode yea or nay ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
No, show the overall rating. Why remove it? I don't understand the logic.
Because in reality, coaches don't have the luxury of knowing a player's overall ability. They have to determine it by looking at their performance, and specific abilities. In order to mimic this dynamic, there shouldn't be an overall rating in the franchise mode. We should see all the other ratings such as speed, agility, strength, acceleration, learning, catching, carrying, etc.

In online and play now, the overall rating serves a purpose, which is to tell the user which team and players are better. In franchise, that should be up to us to determine.

Last edited by Tito78; 04-28-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
Nay. That's just plain silly. Not like you couldn't go to exhibition/roster management and figure it out anyway.
Yeah, you could do that for the first season, but when players progress or decline, the exhibition/roster management won't tell you anything.

What's silly is the game telling the user which player is a better overall player. No one tells coaches, scouts and GMs who's better or worse, because no one knows for sure.

Last edited by Tito78; 04-27-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #19
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito78
Because in reality, coaches don't have the luxury of knowing a player's overall ability. They have to determine it by looking at their performance, and specific abilities. In order to mimic this dynamic the their shouldn't be an overall rating in the franchise mode. We should see all the other ratings such as speed, agility, strength, acceleration, learning, catching, carrying, etc.

In online and play now, the overall rating serves a purpose, which is to tell the user which team and players are better. In franchise, that should be up to us to determine.
I disagree. Coaches may not have an "overall rating" to go by, but they do grade each individual player based on performance. How do you think they determine who to start and who to bench? They evaluate every player on the roster and grade them accordingly. While I agree that a numeric grade may be too subjective, a letter grade could be a fair compromise for the purpose of ambiguity.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
I disagree. Coaches may not have an "overall rating" to go by, but they do grade each individual player based on performance.
We are in a sense the Coach and GM. We're making the decisions, so it shouldn't it be up to us to determine what player is better than the other by looking at their speed, strength agility, awareness, and any other attributes that would apply to their position?

Quote:
How do you think they determine who to start and who to bench? They evaluate every player on the roster and grade them accordingly.
By looking at their attributes, and their production. It should be up to us to decide which player is better for our system. The game shouldn't tell us. Coaches, scouts and GMs are wrong about players all of the time, with overall ratings, user will never be wrong.

If it's not in the game, than for heaven's sakes don't put it in the game.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #21
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito78
We are in a sense the Coach and GM. We're making the decisions, so it shouldn't it be up to us to determine what player is better than the other by looking at their speed, strength agility, awareness, and any other attributes that would apply to their position?

By looking at their attributes, and their production. It should be up to us to decide which player is better for our system. The game shouldn't tell us. Coaches, scouts and GMs are wrong about players all of the time, with overall ratings, user will never be wrong.

If it's not in the game, than for heaven's sakes don't put it in the game.
Well I get your point. However, what you're failing to realize is not everyone has that "GM/Coach" level of knowledge of football. The casual gamers don't want to figure out who is better. They want to look at a grade and make a decision. Now if they gave an option to not display the overall rating, I'm all for that. But to be honest, not many people would be using it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2009, 12:16 AM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Well I get your point. However, what you're failing to realize is not everyone has that "GM/Coach" level of knowledge of football. The casual gamers don't want to figure out who is better. They want to look at a grade and make a decision. Now if they gave an option to not display the overall rating, I'm all for that. But to be honest, not many people would be using it.
Dumbing down franchise mode for the casual gamers isn't the answer. It's not rocket science; all they would have to do is look at the ratings that apply to what ever player's position that they're looking at. If you're evaluating a corner back, you'd look at speed, man coverage, zone coverage; if you were looking at QB, you'd look at throwing power, accuracy and awareness. That's not hard for the casual gamer to do.

Not having a overall rating, would really add realism during the season, when you're trying to figure who goes where on the depth chart. You can't just look at overalls and order the depth chart that way. You'd have to look at production, experience and attributes.

As it is now, all you have to do is press a button and the depth charts are automatically ordered from the highest to lowest overall.

That's not sim.

I'm sorry, but having an overall rating in franchise makes it too easy to figure out who to sign, who to start, who to bench and who to cut.

It's like I said, an overall rating in franchise mode simply isn't sim.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:38 AM   #23
Pro

lgxjames's Arena

OVR: 14

I just hope they get creative with it, right now its way to simplistic with who I target in FA (tho I think thats being addressed this year)
Old 04-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
I disagree, sort of. Hide the actual, but your coaching staff and scouts should have some feeling for how coach-able a player might be. Are you getting a raw or polished talent? How coach-able do you think someone is? You can have some idea (may not be totally accurate) of how well someone may be able to learn and improve there football knowledge, and technique.
When you speak of coaching staffs and scouts having a feeling about a certain player, you're talking about projections. Yes we should have projections of some sort; however, the overall rating isn't a projection, it's a fact. It's what the player is or isn't, and that shouldn't be revealed to the user in franchise mode, as it makes it too easy to make decisions regarding personnel.

You should be able to tell if someone is coach-able or not, by looking at their awareness rating. If it doesn't seem to be improving, than that would tell you that the player isn't that coach-able.

Last edited by Tito78; 04-29-2009 at 03:03 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »