Home

The "Super Secret" project can now be revealed...

This is a discussion on The "Super Secret" project can now be revealed... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 52
The "Super Secret" project can now be revealed...

For those that might not have been in the know, I was moved off of the team during Madden NFL 09 to work on a "secret project", and I re-joined the gameplay team right when the game went gold to basically help with the community effort. I was then given the incredible opportunity to take the lead design job for Madden NFL 10, so work on the secret project ceased.

It was often speculated on (http://www.operationsports.com/forum...t-project.html) but I couldn't ever tell anyone what it was...

Well, what was it?

Funnily enough, it was the very beginnings of TeamBuilder. Yep, NCAA's monster create-a-team feature (that I think is quite possibly one of the most innovative and cool features we've ever done at Tiburon) was basically an idea that spawned from some random discussions between Phil, myself, and others that got pseudo-greenlit back last year. If you haven't seen how it works, definitely check it out here: http://insideblog.easports.com/archi...m-builder.aspx

We envisioned the feature at it's core as a global "create-a-team wiki" shared among all EA Sports games - a website where any team for any sport could be created by any person and then automatically streamed down into the game for all to use. Here's even some images from the PowerPoint presentation we created to get it greenlit:

Pretty pictures to get the execs brains moving:
Teams_1.JPG

Mock screen for how you could use a downloaded team in Madden:
Teams_2.JPG

Once the Madden job opened up and I was lucky enough to get it, the idea for a global EA Sports 'creation station' kind of died, but we all were really big on the idea and kept pushing it for Madden. Unfortunately with all the hot water that was happening with Madden and the NFL at the time around retired players, our Executive Producer recommended that NCAA take it as it was a perfect fit for them (who didn't have a create-a-team feature yet). I am really happy he made that call right now seeing all the other things that we still have to finish out on Madden.

What is so cool to me is that NCAA has made this WAY cooler than anything we had imagined. Our first mocks and ideas were just boring lists of dropdowns and checkboxes, and now I look at the early screens of TeamBuilder and I am just blown away. I am so glad they did it and ran with it.

Ahhh - one more secret off my chest - I feel better.

I am really proud as to having been part of getting this feature bubbled up to the surface, but I can't take any credit as to how it has turned out because they have something really special on their hands now. Major kudos to their design team...this year I've been pretty competitive with them but I have to definitely give them credit on this one as their work has turned our 'novel idea' into a truly big innovation in sports gaming. I personally can't wait to play a custom "high school" online dynasty with the guys here at work.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: The "Super Secret" project can now be revealed...

so this wont be in madden eh?.... i guess we wont have the ability to edit uniforms (i.e uniform screw ups EA is famous for)

Old 04-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
OMG!!!!

This is just... wow...

I'm pumped lol.
lol u unaware of teambuilder??

ncaa is gonna be awesome this year because of this, although it's gonna still feel and look like ncaa 09 basiclly
Old 04-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 29

So, is this ONLY for NCAA? Or is Madden 10 going to use this as well? Sorry, but I read it 3 times and didn't catch it.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
Pro

Smoke316's Arena

OVR: 14

Ian never ceases to amaze lol..now get an online franchise n I'm sold
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 19

Wow another amazing idea from Ian. What else is going on in that mind.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 9

Wow...impressive work . I just watched the video about the feature today. I was thinking to myself....theoretically if you wanted to you could recreate the entire current NFL roster and teams and essentially play an NFL game on NCAA 10 IF you felt it was the better game. Of course it'd take a while but if you had some help from others it could be done quickly and shared with the entire community. That's of course if I understand this feature correctly.

Of course we all know Madden will be superior...but I'm just sayin' .

Last edited by NYyankz225; 04-27-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshanks
lol u unaware of teambuilder??

ncaa is gonna be awesome this year because of this, although it's gonna still feel and look like ncaa 09 basiclly
LOL... I misread it. I thought it was coming to madden.

My brain is fried due to studying for exams lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »