Home

Teambuilder (ideas to help get this feature in Madden)

This is a discussion on Teambuilder (ideas to help get this feature in Madden) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 52
Re: Teambuilder (ideas to help get this feature in Madden)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
I'm still confused as to what legal entanglements EA would face if I were to make a team in Madden using an uploaded logo off the internet, called my team the Houston Oilers, and put a big bruising running back wearing #34 named Earl Campbell on the team? I don't see how EA can be held responsible for anything I do with a content creation tool, as EA didn't put Earl Campbell, my uploaded Houston Oilers logo, or the complete phrase "Houston Oilers" in the in-game commentary (presumably "Houston" and "Oilers" would be there though).

Am I misunderstanding your question, or is there a legal reason why I can't do this and thus why EA can't allow me to do this?
I don't have any knowledge as to how or why, but Jim Brown sued on the same thing...so I don't make these calls anymore: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169145

Old 07-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #50
Banned

OVR: 32

teambuilder is not worth the time and energy to be implemented into Madden. It's pretty gimmicky to begin with. Madden needs to focus more on physics, tackles, and perfecting the gameplay.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #51
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I don't have any knowledge as to how or why, but Jim Brown sued on the same thing...so I don't make these calls anymore: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169145
Presumably that has something to do with the previous Madden games' inclusion of historic teams, not created teams. The PS2/XBOX/PC Madden games used to have all the Super Bowl winning teams, as well as other historic teams of note, with nameless rosters and scrambled numbers for all the players.

I can respect that you don't make the calls and thus I'm probably just openly asking questions to the wrong ears, but again I'm wondering why such a call would be made on something like this in the first place, based on my current information and assumptions at least. One of the historic Browns' teams probably did have a HB #30-something on it that resembled Jim Brown's basic appearance and playing style, thus why he filed what is (in my completely uneducated opinion) a baseless lawsuit.

All that aside, some sort of TeamBuilder functionality in Madden would be great to have; I just don't understand why it would have to be limited, that's all. I personally would rather see more fleshing out of franchise mode (beyond what you all have already done in 10) before TeamBuilder is added, however.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #52
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
Yep. That's exactly what I was thinking as well in terms of modes that could benefit from being web-based. It would be great for people who may not be able to go on their video game system to check what's going on in their franchise. An iPhone/iPod Touch app for it would be sweet as well.
It's scary how many of my ideas and/or predictions end up coming to life
Old 07-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #53
MVP

OVR: 27

Please correct me if I'm wrong... but aren't the online co-op camera's essentially the same camera angles that Player Lock has?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #54
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Another somewhat-related question: doesn't EA have the rights to use the likeness of any player in the Pro Football Hall of Fame? Or is that done on a per-player basis a la APF2K8?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #55
Rookie

Apollo's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Good thread.

But the magic question...is the effort for TeamBuilder worth spending if you can't put in retired players or historic teams?
So I would assume then that the historic NFL teams on the NCAA site are illegal. If not, than we should be able to do the same in Madden.

This needs to be looked into. If user created content is in fact legal, than a full blown Team Builder site for Madden would be great. Anything short of that would be disappointing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #56
Rookie

Apollo's Arena

OVR: 5

Also, in Madden right now, I can create any retired player I want and place them into his former teams roster. Is this illegal? I would say not.

A user created the likeness, not EA. All EA did was give me the tools to do this. A full blown Teambuilder would do the same thing IMO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »