Home

Difference Between Models in Madden and APF2K8

This is a discussion on Difference Between Models in Madden and APF2K8 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2009, 01:36 AM   #33
Banned

OVR: 89
Re: Difference Between Models in Madden and APF2K8

If anything I thought the field in Madden is not wide enough in comparison to All Pro
Old 05-01-2009, 01:41 AM   #34
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballSchemer
If anything I thought the field in Madden is not wide enough in comparison to All Pro
Madden's field is wider than APF2K8s field. They actually shrunk the field a little in All Pro.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:30 AM   #35
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Madden's field is wider than APF2K8s field. They actually shrunk the field a little in All Pro.
So APF is less sim than Madden .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2009, 02:42 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 11

The only problem that I would have with returning to 30 fps (which I don't believe would ever happen) is that you lose control of your players.
When I got 08 for PS3 it was cool. Then I played on my friend's 360 and it was night and day to me.
I loved the extra control gained from 60 fps and the ability to string together moves without the delay that is associated with 30 fps is a MUST in my book.
30 fps left me wanting...more; control, feel, and just overall satisfaction when trying moves and combination.
You have said that you don't see any difference between 30 and 60 fps. Well that was never the point! The point of moving to 60 fps (like what current gen runs at) was to give the player control where 30 had spots where there was a lag and loss of control.
I would ALWAYS take control of my team/player/move over 30 fps with sidelines looking better, etc.

Bottom line: to me 30 fps = less control = less fun = less immersion = less SIM...see where I'm going.

I don't mean to be rude, I just thought you would like to hear my side of the 30 vs. 60 shenanigan..

Old 05-01-2009, 02:47 AM   #37
Rookie

ThaReaper09's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Isn't 30 FPS all the human eye can pick up? I would personally give up the 60 FPS if it gave them more resources for things like side line animations and such.

Nice read on FPS - http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frame...humans_see.htm

I think Madden's models are ultra detailed though, more so than APF2K8's. It's the size that looks off. Right now I'm going to say it's the waist / shoulders and girth (thickness) of the players.
Yes, the human eye can only see 30 FPS. But, if you look at the difference in graphics and detail between the 360 and PS3 versions of NCAA Football 08, you will know why 60 FPS is a good thing.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:50 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherscourge
Something thatreally stands out in APF that Madden hasn't been able to match:

When you're running and then turn in APF, your player doesn't just slow down physically, you actually see him shorten his stride and take smaller steps as he changes his direction - and he leans into the new direction and slowly opens his stride again to pick up speed again.

In Madden, your player just turns and keeps going - the only thing that happens is that there's a slight slowdown during the turn. But there's no animation for the slow-down and turning process.

Momentum-based running is pointless if there's no animations visually showing the turning movements IMO.

And honestly, this is the same problem with all players movement in Madden - even though there's momentum there, you can't SEE it through an animation - it's basically just a brief, invisible force. It's like they're just running in a swivel.

It kills the immersion IMO and contributes to the "robot" players.
Have you posted this in the animation thread? It'd be good there.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:22 AM   #39
Youtube Innovators

The Lob Mob's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
When doing the video last week to compare running animations, one of the things that I noticed is that in general APF2K8's models and Maddens. The primary thing that I noticed is that Madden's model's feel 'smaller' with regards to the field. Their width seem smaller as did their height. I took some time and looked at the players laying down and the guys were both scaled properly when they were on the field (spanning about 2 hash marks or 6 feet). Any clue why Madden's model's look so much smaller? I know that Madden's field is wider, but I don't think that's all that's going on. Are my eyes just playing tricks on me? Anyone else got some helpful insight / clues as to the visual disparity in model size?
Yes, I have noticed this for the longest. . .
I once pointed this out on the 2K Boards. . .& I read every post in this thread before posting this. . .because I thought some one else would say this: The reason the Madden Models are Small/ Field Is Extra Big is because of the insanely cartoony speed that the game is based on. . .the way that everyone in that game flies, you have to have a HUGE field so that the speed will matter.
Think about it.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:39 AM   #40
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaReaper09
Yes, the human eye can only see 30 FPS. But, if you look at the difference in graphics and detail between the 360 and PS3 versions of NCAA Football 08, you will know why 60 FPS is a good thing.
Someone posted the PS3 / XBox 360 versions where one was 30 the other 60 and other than the color pallete the graphics were identical.

As for a 60 FPS giving you more control, I'm sorry but that makes no sense what so ever. FPS refers to the frames per second that the game is drawn. The input to the game should be the same regardless of the rendering speed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »