Home

Looks like the playcall screen has two sections now

This is a discussion on Looks like the playcall screen has two sections now within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Looks like the playcall screen has two sections now

Just another advocate for the new playcall screen. I like the functionality of it and being able to see more presentation in the top half is a big plus.

Watcher made a point about now there is only 3 so you have to scroll around more.

WRONG. Think about it. so there is 1 more to start in the old system, but every time you hit the stick, you only got 2 more plays, now you get 3. So at first you are seeing 1 more, but after you scroll once, you have seen 6 plays with both systems. you scroll twice, now you have seen 9 plays with new system, and only 8 with the old. And it increases every time after that, so basically you can cover more plays faster with this system.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I thought it through quite a bit my friend.

It was a definite "must" to move to the bottom and make it simpler so we could show more presentation stuff in the top.

As for the rest of the hot links (stats, replay, challenge, etc), we pulled telemetry on how often they were being used and they were less than .5% overall. That pretty much made the decision for me. However, that's a rough part about making this game - the scale of the user base is so large that no matter how much I may hate a feature, there could be .01% of users that LOVE it, and that ends up equaling like 10,000 people which is a crapload of people. Look at how long features like playmaker, vision, lead block, etc all hung around.

Along with the telemetry, we've done numerous studies and surveys to find out what's up with the folks that don't play our games, and usually upwards of 35% of NFL fans (that are gamers) don't play Madden because they say it's too complicated. There are a ton of things that can give off the impression of being too complicated, from pre-play hints to weapon icons to cluttered menu screens. The play call screen was in that area IMO - it was very complicated last year...tons of extra functionality that a gives perceived notion to someone like "oh crap, I should be doing something else". Sure there are ways to add that stuff back but it'd be yet another button callout when we really wanted to slim down and get back to basics. That's been our strategy as you know - strip down to core football, and build back up what is truly needed.

So regardless, I realize where you're coming from, and I wish it was possible to make everyone happy, but we as a design team definitely felt like this was the better decision to make this year.
I have a thought... And maybe this is still possible.

If you guys didn't completely scrap 09's playcall screen and have the code for it still (or even grab it from NCAA 10), perhaps you can put that into the user's profile options. We have so much customization this year, so why not add one more thing.

• Game options or Visual Feedback
    • Playcalling Screen: Classic/Modern
      *Default at Modern
Old 04-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 19

P.S. - If this is impossible at this point, or would just take up too much memory, then I still prefer the classic screen.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
To shamelessly beat a dead horse:

If we can have last-gen playcall screens, why can't we have last-gen's play editor?
Last gen's play editor was awful.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:50 AM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 2

I agree but definitely think they should add field position and has marks like some other people.

So many times I call a run play and forget where I'm at on the hashmarks and it really matters on toss plays and others.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2009, 01:07 AM   #46
Rookie

kevster2's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Someone should tell that guy Ca$ino that used to post on MaddenMania...he wore me out about wanting the last-gen style play call screen back. I bet he'll be happy now (at least about this. )

I like the look of the new playcall screen, the stadium pans make it look much more like a T.V. broadcast.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:28 AM   #47
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcMahon
Last gen's play editor was awful.
It was an improvement over the PS1 play editor.

It was solid, but unspectacular.

It was MILES better than nothing at all, which is what we are likely to get this year.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:55 AM   #48
Pro

brza37's Arena

OVR: 18

The playcall screen does look less cluttered but I'd also rather be able to jump directly into a challenge or see stats without having to pause. I guess I may have used each of these features once a game at most but still thought it was a huge step forward just like years ago when we were first able to call timeout with "select". Are there any free buttons that could be mapped to at least Challenge?

Commissioner of Sim Madden League Europe. Established league for sim players in Europe. Join here:
SML - Europe PS4 Madden Online Franchise

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »