Home

Solving the awarness/vision problem when under human control

This is a discussion on Solving the awarness/vision problem when under human control within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #33
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Solving the awarness/vision problem when under human control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
@ Sigma4Life QB weapons

I think you have found a solution to the problem. A little rough around the edges but otherwise great idea. I would love to finally be able to take a "game manager" QB(Jake Delhomme) who has high awareness but an average-above average arm over a better arm but lower awareness QB.

EDIT:
Things that could be better are- Instead of awareness make it ability to read 4-3, 3-4, 46, and other defences. There are some QBs that can read one type better then others. Make awareness on the defense matter more by making it harder to read a player who has high awareness. Example would be its almost impossible to read Ed Reed IRL and in the game he would have 97-99 awareness.

Just a few more ideas to add to it
Exactly! It's sort of like the Smart QB weapon except implemented in a more logical and realistic fashion. This feature would have an impact on every play instead of every once in a while like the Smart weapon feature. They could also add it to defense, maybe in reverse fashion. A low awareness QB would tend to give away the offensive play/hot routes/audibles to a high IQ defense.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #34
Youtube Innovators

The Lob Mob's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
The only meaningless rating for human controlled ratings is awareness. All other ratings have effects. They are not meaningless.

Are you sure about this statement? If you're controlling Manning, and you suck when controlling him, should ratings automattically make him good? What if your peterson, and you can't hit a hole for crap and run sideways all day, should he be better because of his superior awareness rating?

And who says I can't get Mark Sanchez, he is not a rookie in terms of awareness when i'm playing with him, to play like Peyton Manning?

Listen to this man, for he speaks the truth. . .
Old 05-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #35
MVP

teambayern's Arena

OVR: 20

Why not offer a mode where you got more or less generous camera angles when playing with better or worse awareness. Peyton Manning would be zoomed way out, some rookie would have his zoomed in and level (more like in superstar mode).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #36
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambayern
Why not offer a mode where you got more or less generous camera angles when playing with better or worse awareness. Peyton Manning would be zoomed way out, some rookie would have his zoomed in and level (more like in superstar mode).
That would be the ideal approach. It could also be used for RBs in the same way EA added the narrow camera view for kick returns on ps2. Good RBs have the current GOD view and bad RBs get the narrow claustrophobic view.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #37
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

I'm curious if Ian has any comments on this.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by red butler
What if they changed awareness to reaction time? It would be the lag between when the user presses a button and the player executes the command. This would really highlight players that have amazing instincts and penalize the ones that are hesitant. The devs would have to tune it to make sure it was noticeable but not annoying. But I think it would add a lot of individuality to the players.
This is a wonderful idea right hear man...And it makes it so that you can have the same effect on the cpu and user!!

I know alot of people are gonna complain but an Awareness/Lag time rating would be perfect and should be implemented differently for every position obviously.

And if a player was a running back for instance they should have lag ratings 4 a wr as well.
And if a player was a LB they should have lag ratings 4 the defensive end position seperately also.

I really like this idea man...perfect for franchise so that your not tempted to cheat the cpu by always getting the guys with the best physical attributes
Old 05-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma4Life
I propose that low awareness/vision should result in dramatically reduced acceleration and agility when under human control (Note that speed is unchanged). This will simulate the effect of hesitation and lack of decisiveness. The hit to these ratings should vary from play to play. It would make controlling low awareness players hit or miss. One play he could be a beast and the next he'll be insanely ineffective and make you want to bench him.

This system really applies to any position where there is a rookie or poorly rated player under human control. This keeps the great athletes with a low football IQ from taking over the game based solely on their physical attributes.

The idea is that you could have a great athlete at RB with low awareness and you'll have a difficult time hitting holes. As a LB your player will be slower to react changes in direction. As a DB you could see a route developing but your low IQ player will be slow to change directions and make a play on the ball.
I really would NOT be a fan of this at all... it would actually ruin the game for me. I understand that its not the best thing to have a physical freak with 30 AWR perform well just because he is under human control, but I don't think this is the solution.

For defensive players you can do things like.. make it so you have to be very close to actually perform a tackle, or make it so that you cause more penalties when you tackle.. like increased face masks if your guy has a low TAK and AWR rating...

For QBs you can have low AWR display itself with things like if you get hit while throwing and have low AWR the pass will go into a more dangerous area of the field maybe... for HBs AWR shoudl come into play when they pass block... as far as running, maybe the higher AWR the better your o-line run blocks for you?

I don't really have a good solution to be honest, but I really don't like yours either

At this point I'm ok with the fact that it is just 1 guy on the field out of 11... and I'm willing to roll with that.

The best solution might be to get rid of AWR. As more stats are created to fine tune player behavior, AWR is going to start taking more of a back seat. I mean I don't know what role it really has now anymore. I can't think of one thing that AWR does that is not covered by an individual stat.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4solo
Ummm, they had that last year with weapons where they would show the play if the Qb awr was high enough.
this is a different, and better idea than that one. they are similar though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »