Home

Question: Potential...??

This is a discussion on Question: Potential...?? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #17
GO PACK GO

PlatooN's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Question: Potential...??

i thought the learning grade factored into their potential
Old 05-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #18
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falzon
i thought the learning grade factored into their potential
No. My guy had a potential grade of 95 and a learning grade of the 40s. Learning grade factored into whether or not a player could live up to the potential.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #19
Pro

lgxjames's Arena

OVR: 14

But overall how is madden going to go about determining how they reach this potential, in real life it could be a combo of coaching, experience and surrounding cast.

But how will it be determined in the game
Old 05-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #20
GO PACK GO

PlatooN's Arena

OVR: 17

make sense.....but madden doesn't use the learning grade rating.

Last edited by PlatooN; 05-04-2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: makes no damn sense
Old 05-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
But you could say that about pretty much any rookie drafted after the 2nd round. With the potential rating, you will draft guys in the 5th and 6th rounds that you will never expect to amount to anything and bam, you got yourself a Drew Brees. loved the system in HC 09, but didn't like that you could reveal a player's potential.
Actually, I thought one of the major problems with head coach was this kind of situation happened too often and was too easy to predict. This was especially true with WRs and QBs but could be seen with pretty much every position.

For instance with QBs there was at least one every year over 90 potential who could be had in the later rounds. That means that every year you could find a QB with pro bowl potential in the later rounds and it was way to easy to get them to play at or near that potential. Also, all you had to do was have the "small school insider" skill for your gm or scout small school qbs in the regular season and you could identify those guys every year. Add that to the fact that most years there were 1 or 2 franchise qbs coming into the league and within 10 years there are usually 30 or so very good qbs drafted.

To completely miss this and not have a good qb at any time is nearly impossible unless you are trying to do so but in real life as chicago how tough it is to find a really good qb (up until the jay cutler trade anyway). How long have they been without anybody really that good there. How about san francisco? Houston? New York Jets?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #22
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgxjames
But overall how is madden going to go about determining how they reach this potential, in real life it could be a combo of coaching, experience and surrounding cast.

But how will it be determined in the game
Very good question Lgx.

My knee jerk thought would be, playing time and production?

However these potential ratings are handled....I'm just glad this was added to '10'. My only gripe was, at first the news of being able to see that exact number. That I didn't like. So I was glad to hear they may change that to a letter grade. That seems like a decent compromise.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 2

There's no accurate way to do this, the developers are just guessing when it comes to the potential ratings.

There are entirely too many variables that go into what makes a player good/bad.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stux
The problem is with out potential any player can be coached/trained into the Hall of Fame which just isn't realistic. The fact is almost all players won't reach that level and no amount of coach, training, whatever will change that.

This works great for made up players. The problem you are saying is that is prevent the existing players from developing into player they could wind up becoming.

There is not miracle solution to that dilemma. There are two choices:

1. All existing players have a 99 potential
  2. Someone (In this case Donny) guesses as to what the future will hold for these players based on the information he has at hand
I have to choose option 2. in this case because no one can see into the future and I wouldn't want to see all these player have that much potential because that is further from realistic.
Potential ratings might be included in the updates online.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »