Home

The Outside Comeback **FIX IT**

This is a discussion on The Outside Comeback **FIX IT** within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2009, 11:43 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 89
Re: The Outside Comeback **FIX IT**

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
In the drills it is extremely easy to throw. Probably about as easy as any route. In real game situations it is a little tougher but I have had some success with it. The problem is there are other routes that work so much more efficiently and so much more easily making it a less viable option.
Ye its a tough throw, possibly the toughest... But this is the NFL and if your a QB getting paid millions I think you can make this throw...

And note I said this route success rate is higher when the QB is rolled left or right to the route
Old 05-06-2009, 02:11 AM   #10
Rookie

burne's Arena

OVR: 6

As a note to the people saying that it DOES work: In NG Madden, the receiver runs straight back, not to the sideline and back, so even if you complete it, you're still not completing for the right reasons.

In NG Madden, it works at the same times a hook would work, but actually gets you fewer yards because the WR is running back.

The route was actually run fairly well in old-gen Madden. I forget what year exactly it started looking good, but it was around 05-06. The problem there was that in 2005, the defense was made superhumanly good so corners would deflect that ish with that crazy diving deflection every time. Also, receivers were terrible at catches near sidelines, which this requires, so even if they were open you'd be lucky to have them catch it and stay inbounds.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:23 AM   #11
Pro

OVR: 18

The fact that you cannot lead the WR to the sideline on this play is a major problem with the Madden 09 passing game. I think they have fixed some of the passes in Madden 10, because they had a blog explaining how they fixed where throws ended up. Hopefully that solves the problem with plays like this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2009, 02:23 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by burne
As a note to the people saying that it DOES work: In NG Madden, the receiver runs straight back, not to the sideline and back, so even if you complete it, you're still not completing for the right reasons.

In NG Madden, it works at the same times a hook would work, but actually gets you fewer yards because the WR is running back.

The route was actually run fairly well in old-gen Madden. I forget what year exactly it started looking good, but it was around 05-06. The problem there was that in 2005, the defense was made superhumanly good so corners would deflect that ish with that crazy diving deflection every time. Also, receivers were terrible at catches near sidelines, which this requires, so even if they were open you'd be lucky to have them catch it and stay inbounds.
We are talking about the route where the receiver runs about 12 or 13 yards and then runs at about a 30 degree angle back toward the sideline usually in plays called something like WR comeback in the playbook, right? I have been able to lead them toward the sideline, they do run back quite a ways, usually more than the play art would indicate, causing less gain than you should get but they do go kinda to the outside if you lead them there.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:46 AM   #13
Rookie

burne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
We are talking about the route where the receiver runs about 12 or 13 yards and then runs at about a 30 degree angle back toward the sideline usually in plays called something like WR comeback in the playbook, right? I have been able to lead them toward the sideline, they do run back quite a ways, usually more than the play art would indicate, causing less gain than you should get but they do go kinda to the outside if you lead them there.
They may go out a little bit, but it still defeats the purpose of the route. The receiver should cut outside and then "float" towards the sideline and back a little. This way, if the quarter back wants to throw back closer to the line of scrimmage, they can still come back harder and get to the ball. However, if there is a hook zone underneath the route, the QB can still throw it to the sideline and the WR is right there to go get it. If the receiver is running back and only slightly to the outside, you can't put the ball on the sideline. If I had to say, I'd guess that the fade-comeback route is the #1 source of sideline catches in the NFL.

EDIT: This is one of the reasons I really want them to fix this. Comeback routes are some of the prettiest routes in the NFL. Not only because the timing and coordination between QB and WR is so difficult, but because a lot of beautiful sideline catches result from it. If they make this route work, hopefully they'll take the time to make sideline catches work too and I can finally have the beautiful passes I want to see in my football videogames...

Last edited by burne; 05-06-2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:49 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 11

It worked very well in 06, but since then it has been a non-factor.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:04 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 20

The other problem here is if they were to go to the sideline the sideline catch animation rarely popping up and rarely working causes problems here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2009, 03:19 AM   #16
Rookie

I use it, and it works on some occasions, maybe its just the sliders I use?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »