Home

Question about memory issue

This is a discussion on Question about memory issue within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
Rookie

JB0B0's Arena

OVR: 7
Question about memory issue

I hear many of you say that there isnt enough memory for madden to add more features. Is it the disk or the console? I'm asking because GE has come out with a 500 GB disk and that could shore up a lot of problems for future consoles

http://www.iwebble.com/electronics/g...gb-disk-space/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Question about memory issue

system memory, not disc space.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
Rookie

Megatron2k7's Arena

OVR: 12

I read about this a couple weeks ago, and my first thought was that I was glad I didn't buy a PS3 yet just for the Blue Ray player. My 360 will have no company on my entertainment center.

This will be huge in the near future. Man it would be awesome if the next XBOX or PS4 could use this technology. 500 GB on one disc......wow....!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
Rookie

JB0B0's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
system memory, not disc space.
can you provide a link please
Old 05-06-2009, 12:51 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 20

I am pretty sure that the major problem right now is limited ram. Pretty sure madden last year did not even use all disk space available. I think that they should use the disk space that they are not using to add more animations, commentary, etc. Hopefully that will be done this year.

While the bigger disk space could be nice on future consoles, the big thing is adding more ram. Current systems have I think 256 KB of ram. That is what really needs to be improved in future consoles, my laptop that I bought back in 04 has 4 times that much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2009, 12:55 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
I am pretty sure that the major problem right now is limited ram. Pretty sure madden last year did not even use all disk space available. I think that they should use the disk space that they are not using to add more animations, commentary, etc. Hopefully that will be done this year.

While the bigger disk space could be nice on future consoles, the big thing is adding more ram. Current systems have I think 256 KB of ram. That is what really needs to be improved in future consoles, my laptop that I bought back in 04 has 4 times that much.
This

Ian even says that they have issues adding new things because of the lack of ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Oh how I wish this wasn't the case! I feel so defeated when it comes to interactive sidelines.

Glorious Arc you are correct, there are a lot of 'clones' throughout the crowd and sidelines. They do actually animate during the play, but sometimes the camera guys and other random 'non players' animation data isn't saved into the replay (this is because of memory constraints...RAM, not HD).

As I think everyone is well aware, EVERY company that moved to 360 / PS3 went nuts on graphics. Well when the planning was done for graphical level of detail here at Tiburon, it was done to get the a.) absolute maximum amount of detail on 22 players on the field and b) insanely high-res stadiums. Extra characters really weren't considered because the player detail was so important, which is why it's been so hard getting new stuff in. That's why you haven't seen coaches in realtime on the sideline, or refs or chain gang either. All the initial planning and asset creation for the transition was done for 22 guys (at 30fps btw)...so it's been extremely difficult to make big global reductions as well as maintain 60 fps. Also, now that people are used to the visual fidelity of the game, we would take a lot of heat if the game started looking much worse graphically. I only wish that we had accounted for like 50 full-res guys.

APF2k8 decided to reduce the overall quality on their players, stadiums, environments, etc a little bit in order to have 22 EXTRA full-res players on the sidelines (instead of basic low-res clones). That's how they got the really killer interactions where the players catch you or you roll them over or whatever. I loved those...and no, those won't be in Madden NFL 10.

Personally (and I am not expressing the opinion of anyone else or of my employers), I'm of the mindset that MORE fully interactive characters = more immersion and "wow moments" to the user than having insane detail with fewer characters. Case in point - Dead Rising:

I really could care less what the graphics look like when I truly feel 100% immersed in that world (and in the story) because there are always 800 zombies around. I think NBA 2k has done an amazing job here as well - the guys get up for subs, the dude comes out and mops, and it's all realtime (they do have the luxury of a relatively tiny environment and only 10 players in the action at once though too).

So what do you guys think? As we move to the future, what is more important to you? Would you rather have the extra details (like the holes in the jerseys), or much less details on the players and the environment and more extra characters (that animate in a smarter manner) around the playing field? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...all-field.html
Old 05-06-2009, 12:57 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB0B0
can you provide a link please
No need for a link, there's just a fundamental difference between system memory and disc space.

No one ever uses the term "disc memory" when trying to refer to disc space or something.

If someone mentions a problem with memory, it doesn't pertain to disc space.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:02 AM   #8
Rookie

burne's Arena

OVR: 6

Actually, in that post Ian is referring to certain game-time features that are left out that are limited by system memory, however disk space is an issue as well. When I say disk space, by the way, I mean space on the Madden disc, not the console's HD, which I believe Madden doesn't use (also isn't allowed to by Microsoft because they made consoles without HD's... terrible decision).

I'm fairly sure that they are at the limit for how much they can fit on one DVD, specifically because he said that this year those shots from outside the stadium they introduced last year for the pre-game are getting cut. It is incredibly unlikely that that is due to system memory, as those were just videos and could be excised from RAM as soon as they're finished playing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »