Home

Madden Team should get advice from NHL Team

This is a discussion on Madden Team should get advice from NHL Team within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: Madden Team should get advice from NHL Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
NHL does some amazing stuff, as does FIFA. We do share ideas, and a lot of technology as well.

However, when it comes to presentation, I can say with a pretty high level of confidence that after August 14 you all will be saying on the NHL & FIFA forums "you all should get advice from the Madden team".
I F'ing love it.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat3ralus65
I agree. I used to play the hell out of NHL 09 when I bought it, but eventually it just got stale. It doesn't really represent hockey - you just skate around with the puck glued to you, tape-to-tape passing (especially the CPU), poor teammate AI, poor puck physics, no battles along the boards... It was fun as hell for a while, but it needs a lot of work.
Oh my god, the number of times I'd have a 2 on 1 with a CPU teammate who would proceed to stop in the middle of the offensive zone, putting the defender in an ideal spot to take away the pass and leaving me stranded with a relatively poor angle, gah. Seriously, it'd be like, "This is great. Keep coming teammate. The passing lane's gonna be open. Let me just hold it for a second longer and make the goalie commit, and...you stopped back there?! Why the hell?!"

NHL 09 does a very particular brand of hockey well. It's just not very realistic. And understandably so, because I imagine a whole lot of people wouldn't find it enjoyable having the puck knocked off their stick constantly, having trouble gaining the offensive zone, being tied up on the boards, having passes miss their target, etc.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #51
Pro

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Because you haven't seen anything new in this area from Madden NFL 10 yet.
awesome!
Old 05-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #52
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
I gained confidence in Ian back in March after The Show was released, when he personally went into those forums and congratulated that team on a game well done. Also he mentioned how he and his crew were taking notes and such from that game.
So I don't doubt Ian's confidence about Madden 10's presentation!

I had confidence in this team from day one because their approach seemed to have changed. But I did not know Ian had stated they were taking notes off my favorite game. If they're taking notes from The Show they're travelling the right road.

Honestly, every since I first played The Show I couldn't help but think "only if Madden could be this good..."

The Show's presentation is so tight its just "ridiculous."
Hand controlling TV...I call it.

Last edited by statum71; 05-12-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #53
Pro

Badboy49er's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr4693
Madden should get some advice from their NHL team. They are the only EA sports title that is getting it right in almost every area from presentation to gameplay to game modes.
Although i LOVE NHL and FIFA, ill reserve judgment until August
MLB: Red Sox, Marlins
NHL: Panthers
http://twitter.com/Badboy49er
Old 05-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #54
MVP

OVR: 26

You can tell Ian wants to spill the beans and he has to moderate his posts 5 times before posting to make sure he doesnt slip up
Old 05-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #55
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez_Mareno
You can tell Ian wants to spill the beans and he has to moderate his posts 5 times before posting to make sure he doesnt slip up
He's a tease though, which I'm sure makes it tough to post that stuff. If I were in his shoes I would have hundreds of screenshots & videos ready to release and sitting on them (and new info) would be difficult indeed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #56
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Hockey and football have a huge advantage over football... you don't have to fill as much space. Presentation in a sports game is certainly a combination of broadcast feel, commentators, and the like, but what really makes or breaks it is what you do with the downtime. How do you keep my eyes on the screen between plays. And in football, there's a lot more of that downtime to fill than in most other sports, excepting baseball and golf amongst sports played in the US.
yeah but this isn't true. you are selecting your plays so there really isn't any time to fill. You don't want them to do a bunch of cut scenes and stuff after the play while the playclock runs down and you can't select your play. You could show 20 seconds of stuff after every play with the playclock paused, but that isn't true to a real game.

All I can really think of what you would want inbetween plays would be a replay, and some stat overlays, maybe a quick cut to something. None of that is stuff that is new or revolutionary.

Where they really need the work is, pregame, halftime, after big plays (TD's, turnovers, etc..). The most important thing I think is the crowd, and I don't know if that is included in 'presentation' or not.

When you play Madden 09, you never really get that electricity as you get watching a real game. It just seems kind of boring, for lack of a better word. To be fair, I don't think any football game has had a great crowd. I think part of the reason I liked NCAA09 more than Madden was that the atmosphere was done better in my opinion.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »